KI Food Service Ideas

IndyGuy4KI

^LOL - no they had a sub maker and a cashier - but I was literally one step from the cashier - my sub was being wrapped and placed in bag.  Perhaps I should have said something to the offenders but it really isn't a guest's place to inform another guest of the line - we have seen reports of bad things happening - heck guests are rude to employees saying something.

• Like 3

^I hope that would speed up the process, but if the FunPix self-serve kiosks are any indication, it will be faster going to a person.  For those not aware of what I am referring to - when you get off the ride, the photo operator can immediately pull up your picture and scan your FunPix.  If you go to the self-serve, it takes minutes (could be 2 could be 10) before your photo pops up.  I have had more than one worker say to me "just give me your card, I can add it to your account before it even shows up at the kiosk".

• Like 3

CP Food Blog post: New Cedar Point Self-Service Kiosks:

http://cpfoodblog.com/new-cedar-point-self-service-kiosks/

Think this would work to help solve the problems at Kings Island? Or would this just create more headaches and more problems?

Note that it doesn't seem to have a barcode reader to accept dining plans...

• Like 2

^LOL - no they had a sub maker and a cashier - but I was literally one step from the cashier - my sub was being wrapped and placed in bag. Perhaps I should have said something to the offenders but it really isn't a guest's place to inform another guest of the line - we have seen reports of bad things happening - heck guests are rude to employees saying something.

Went back and reread your original post. That sucks there were 8 people but at the same time I mean it's not like you were ready for the drink station either.

I mean in this scenario where is the cut off for not going around someone to get their drink refill? Like if the sub is being wrapped or cut what if it's at the veggies or meat? I mean should a person who is only getting a drink wait while you (figurative you) ask for a different bread stick or decide if you want pickles or asking for napkins in your sub bag?

I'm all for not having someone walk through the exit but part of me feels that this is disappointing but not as bad as it could be (cross threading this topic so if it seems to be a bit vague or bouncy that's why).

What if I put in my order then go around you while my sandwich is being made get my drink and then get back behind you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me no matter what you are getting you should have to wait in line just like everyone else. Just because it only a drink doesn't mean they should be able to skip the process. If you don't want to wait through a food line to get your drink go to a refill station. 

• Like 2

^ I agree - I don't know what the "cut off" should be - going through the exit should be serious no-no.  But is bypassing 10 people standing in line appropriate just to get to drinks - what if some of the people standing in line are in line just for a drink?  That is usually how the big pile up at the drink station occurs.  Someone standing in line witnesses someone go past them and directly to drinks and next thing you know almost everyone in line just for a drink refill follows, thus the big pile up :(

KI should really promote the drink station when people purchase the cups - "please refill at drink station if you are only getting a refill and leave the food stands for those purchasing food".  Of course, if KI is selling these cups, then they should have the refill stations open everyday.

Hopefully this becomes less and less of an issue as people realize and use the refill stations.

• Like 2

The park can start refusing refills without food purchases at the restaurants which have the machine behind the counter.  The problem will still exist at locations like the chicken shack and hanks which have the machine out and accessible by guests.

As soon as the park added the stand alone refill locations I have been using them exclusively.  But then I also will walk across the entire park just to go use a freestyle machine.  

But that's the whole idea isn't it? More refill stations= less traffic thru foodservice. Plus the Freestyles are more desirable..at least for me (Peach Mello-Yello FTW) Are there people who really can't see the convenience of breezing thru a refill station over standing in a food line?

• Like 1

I wonder why the park only added two refill stations in the main park and one in the waterpark.  Is it a test?  I really think they should add more refill stations and keep them open all day.  And reconfigure the Freestyle stations for single serve self service machines as well as the Freestyle machines.  Eliminate the Freestyle machines from food service locations.  (At the Jukebox diner, there was no line for food, but four guests in front of me took 10 minutes to perfect their drinks!)

• Like 1

I wonder why the park only added two refill stations in the main park and one in the waterpark.  Is it a test?  I really think they should add more refill stations and keep them open all day.  And reconfigure the Freestyle stations for single serve self service machines as well as the Freestyle machines.  Eliminate the Freestyle machines from food service locations.  (At the Jukebox diner, there was no line for food, but four guests in front of me took 10 minutes to perfect their drinks!)

I totally support this.  Move the freestyle machines from the restaurants to refill locations and put in traditional more limited machines in their place.  I wish the refill location in the Kid's area had installed Freestyle machines.  It would not be so bad if the location in the train station was ever open.  So far I have only used it once all season.

There are four freestyle machines in restaurants, two in hanks, and two in jukebox which would be perfect for another refill location or to upgrade one of the existing locations.  

• Like 1

To me no matter what you are getting you should have to wait in line just like everyone else. Just because it only a drink doesn't mean they should be able to skip the process. If you don't want to wait through a food line to get your drink go to a refill station.

Understood. But what if someone is waiting on a whole pizza? Can I pick up my slice or should I wait for them to get their whole pizza?

What if they are waiting on a whole pie but I just need a refill? What if my family is waiting at the dinner table?

Questions raised only to show that if we deal with only absolutes we get ridiculous situations such as kids being expelled for Lego guns)

• Like 2

I like how Cedar Point has a bunch of freestyle "rooms" i guess you could say. They also have a lot more snack related restaurants which are less popular so people naturally use those for refills. Kings Island just doesnt have enough places to refill cups. Another thing I see at Cedar Point is there are less cups per capita. The average weight of a guest is a lot lower there too? Coincidence? I think not. I don't even have a cup. I just spring for the water fountains with a water bottle so it fits in my pocket. I save money on lockers, and the initial cup while staying healthy.

• Like 2

Understood. But what if someone is waiting on a whole pizza? Can I pick up my slice or should I wait for them to get their whole pizza?

What if they are waiting on a whole pie but I just need a refill? What if my family is waiting at the dinner table?

Questions raised only to show that if we deal with only absolutes we get ridiculous situations such as kids being expelled for Lego guns)

It's really not that difficult the person waiting on a whole pizza (should it take extra time) should be asked to step to the side until it is ready so the line behind them can progress. I feel some are making this more difficult than it needs to be. 

• Like 3

I'm just asking questions. No need to be upset about it. I agree with you for the most part but sometimes questions should be asked and I'll do that to help make things a little bit more flat (edit-fair as in both sides of argument)

• Like 1

More flat?

Huh?

Confused Terp.

Flat - fair... May have been having an aphasia moments.... Haha fair not even the word I'm looking for either but just can't find it. Balanced is probably the word I wanted.

• Like 1

True - the whole pizza order is a puzzler - like why not have that person/group continue down the line and get drinks and pay and then hand them the pizza in a box at the end.  That way the line keeps moving.  I mean there are times I have ordered fries at Skyline and they were out and the worker simply told me to continue down the line and they would bring the fries out to me instead of bringing the line to a halt.  That has happened several times.

If only one side of LaRosa's is open, it is easy for said person to step aside, but when both sides are open, that person standing there creates quite a bottleneck.

• Like 2

Another idea about the whole pizza situation is they could give guests some sort of special receipt/ticket and have employees walk it out to guests.  It'd be a bit difficult at the I-Street location, but I could see Festhaus and RT LaRosa's pulling it off.  

It was a shame a lot of food places and refill stations were not open on a holiday Friday with free entry for military active and veterans.

Food lines were crazy today, albeit better than opening weekend.

And like others with the dining plan, I actually left the park to go eat somewhere else because of the long lines.  First time I have done that as a dining plan holder.

However, I did eat lunch at the park and a shout out to Will at drinks at Rivertown LaRosa's - he was specifically calling folks out that skipped the line through the exit for the drink only and wouldn't serve them.  Most were ticked and expressed frustration, but that was met with a "yes" from those in line with food in hand stuck because of a large group that came through the exit for just a drink.

Food service speed suffers when this happens.  I know there are some on this forum that don't see it as a big deal, yet they complain about food service.  Spend some time in one of these places and watch the line stall when a group comes in through exit or skips past people getting food.  It does create a bottleneck and slows the overall line down.  Maybe if they had more cashiers this wouldn't be a problem.  But when the line is progressing well and someone gets their food, then gets drink (either refill or water) and proceeds to cashier it flows, but when a group bypasses the food either cutting past people or through the exit, it now restricts and halts the line and now instead of 1 or 2 waiting at cashier, it is now 6-8 people.

• Like 2

Didn't help yesterday in Festhaus LaRosa's the cashier having to put wristbands on many of the customers at the register. Beyond the parks control is how people pay. I painfully watched a young woman count coins out of a plastic baggie.

I have the dining plan and just get water. So one scan and I'm done.

Hopefully the park will figure out how to streamline things.

• Like 1