2016 ERT has gotta make some changes

bjcolglazier

Honestly I couldn't care less about this whole thing. I don't use ERT, I'm a Gold pass and feel I get great value for my buck. If i didn't I would buy a new one each year. And yes it's okay to call people out for critiquing something that may not be crucial to complain about. Just like its your (vague you) right to complain, I can call you out on a baseless complaint and tell you that you are coming off like the Kid who is upset because he didn't get cake before dinner but was offered it after dinner (true story with my two year old)...

When people say that the way ERT is run is ridiculous or that it started the day off poorly, yes that's people complaining.

I did say before it became a slam fest not that it is a slam fest.

True facts: if ERT goes away I would guess that the drop in season passes wouldn't even be noticeable. If you find me someone who only bought the pas for ERT I would call that person a liar....

I ordered a medium fry and they gave me 2 medium fries, why wasn't there a large one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't get why this discussion is getting SO heated and personal. Saying a person is acting like a two year old who didn't get cake is harsh, especially considering all of the positive things the OP has said about the park AND them acknowledging that they are grateful to even have early ride time.

Truth is, BOTH sides have plenty of good points. The OP wanted to open up a discussion about how this perk could be better. I'm sure they'd talk to Guest Relations if it was a seriously huge deal or if they were actually angry about it. I'm not getting that from reading these posts.

• Like 8

Not to mention the fact that, if I were a member of park management and read the title of this thread, I would happily make a change.  That change would be a post that reads "Due to a demand for change in our ERT lineup, we have listened and indeed have made a change.  Effective immediately, ERT at Kings Island has been suspended indefinitely.  We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause".  Yes, I would absolutely do this, because I happily admit I can be a royal jerk at times.  The title of the thread alone is off-putting, and would immediately put me on the defensive if I were in a decision maker's position.  It would only be a very temporary change, maybe just one day, but it would definitely convey the point I made earlier in the thread, which was/still is "What is freely given is ALWAYS better than zero".

Edited to state that this post was made in full agreement to sharks post.  Also, Id Love to take an informal poll of the ages of everyone posting in this thread.  I believe the results would say a lot.

• Like 2

30 here.

And Steph you are right. My post was not to say anyone person is a two year old with cake. But this complaint (going back to my original post) really comes off as shallow and without substance.

To complain about the FP being used, totally get. But to complain that the free thing is not as good as we would want is not a good argument. It's not something we pay for. Now if people were payin $10 a day for ERT and it's a waste let's discuss this. But for $100 (price of Gold) you get unlimited entrance, entrance into haunt, and free parking. ERT is just a bonus. If ERT goes away it's not terrible. If it extends I'm not sure it helps sales.

But I apologize if anyone took offense and was personally hurt by my comments.

• Like 3

30 here.

And Steph you are right. My post was not to say anyone person is a two year old with cake. But this complaint (going back to my original post) really comes off as shallow and without substance.

To complain about the FP being used, totally get. But to complain that the free thing is not as good as we would want is not a good argument. It's not something we pay for. Now if people were payin $10 a day for ERT and it's a waste let's discuss this. But for $100 (price of Gold) you get unlimited entrance, entrance into haunt, and free parking. ERT is just a bonus. If ERT goes away it's not terrible. If it extends I'm not sure it helps sales.

But I apologize if anyone took offense and was personally hurt by my comments.

To piggy back on your statement about ERT being extended if it helps sales or not.....it doesn't. If anything the park loses money through labor during that time. If shops and restaurants were open at that point, then I think they'd be helping sales.

• Like 3

It's too early in the season to start complaining about ERT , it's great that the park allows this is extra benefit and is trying something new. Every month new rides for ERT. it is a good concept and applauded KI for making a change. Banshee and Diamondback all last year. Not a great thrilling benefit. If it doesn't work out that's fine and KI will make necessary changes but give it a chance to work out. I'm just glad they allow ERT at the park as a benefit. But if you feel the need to lodge your opinion about ERT then contact the park via email and they will direct to the rides department and marketing so that your opinion counts.

Has anyone actually visited www.visitkingsisland.com lately?  The first thing you see is the park trying to sell Gold Passes because of ERT!  

And people try to suggest ERT is a bonus we aren't paying for?  I beg to differ.

If you don't use the perk, fine.  But to bash others who heavily relied on it...not cool.  I DID pay for it.

• Like 1

Not to argue but they typically start promoting Gold Passes heavily before they go away for the season (May 30th I think). They are using the Top 100 Reasons to have a Gold Pass Campaign to help sell them, it's not like they are saying everyone come to ERT through that being on the front page, just showing off one of the many benefits. 

Let me ask you, is ERT the only thing you use your pass for? 

• Like 2

Not to argue but they typically start promoting Gold Passes heavily before they go away for the season (May 30th I think). They are using the Top 100 Reasons to have a Gold Pass Campaign to help sell them, it's not like they are saying everyone come to ERT through that being on the front page, just showing off one of the many benefits. 

Let me ask you, is ERT the only thing you use your pass for? 

Of course it's not the only thing I use it for.  Have you read all of the food service bashing on this site?  Why is ERT a non-starter for so many, but food service is fair game?  That's all I'm saying.  And...the park is selling ERT.  So if you bought a gold pass you bought ERT, just like you bought food service if you bought the dining plan.  We don't all have to agree, but it's a forum for God's sake.  

• Like 3

I feel like a lot of folks here have problems with food service but not everyone has problems with ERT. 

Why do you think some folks have problems with ERT the way it is and some don't? I promise I'm not trying to be condescending just trying to see both sides of the subject. 

• Like 1

But to complain that the free thing is not as good as we would want is not a good argument. It's not something we pay for. N

Umm.... Yes it is something we pay for. Perks are not free. You pay extra for them. That's the point of a Gold Pass. You pay more, you get more. Otherwise, you are soullessly paying more for a higher tier of pass than the regular pass and thus, wasting money. That's less food on your table for extra perks you don't use nor care about. (Even if you're rich, money is money.)

• Like 3

I am a gold passholder too.  How dare Kings Island only give me a 10% discount on food and merch and not a 25% discount.

If you've been getting 25% off the past several years, and expected it this year, too...yeah...you might be upset.

Exactly. People are NOT asking for more nor freebies. People are asking for a balanced system or something closer than what ERT was last year. That is fair. 

But to complain that the free thing is not as good as we would want is not a good argument. It's not something we pay for. N

Umm.... Yes it is something we pay for. Perks are not free. You pay extra for them. That's the point of a Gold Pass. You pay more, you get more. Otherwise, you are soullessly paying more for a higher tier of pass than the regular pass and thus, wasting money. That's less food on your table for extra perks you don't use nor care about. (Even if you're rich, money is money)

People are NOT asking for more nor freebies. People are asking for a balanced system or something closer than what ERT was last year. That is fair.

Soooo if a member of the general public wants to come to the park for ERT, what can they pay? Since its factored into the cost of the Gold Pass what is the monetary value of that?

So you don't care nor use your pass for multiple entrances or parking it was solely ERT?

^ It's not solely for anything, but rather everything.  The park raises parking costs for Gold Pass..."quit complaining, it's still cheaper than the general public."  Discount on items down to 5% instead of 10%.  "Be happy."  ERT is now 2 rides, and the wait is an hour.  "Love it!!!".

These points are lost on gold pass members?

• Like 4

The Gold Pass is more expensive than the Regular Pass. The sole reason for buying  a higher tier pass is for extras such as "free" parking, ERT, and discounts. You pay for them when you buy the pass, whether it be the flat rate or the monthly one. 

None of the benefits are "free." Sure, it saves you money and you don't have to pay for that parking when you physically go to the park, but it's certainly not free. 

• Like 6

I am a gold passholder too. How dare Kings Island only give me a 10% discount on food and merch and not a 25% discount.

If you've been getting 25% off the past several years, and expected it this year, too...yeah...you might be upset.

Exactly. People are NOT asking for more nor freebies. People are asking for a balanced system or something closer than what ERT was last year. That is fair.

So what would be "fair" in your eyes? All of the rides open for an hour? Maybe 2?

Seriously, step back for just one moment. You two (Josh and BJ) are upset because the free thing you are given as a bonus isn't as nice as you want it to be and are claiming it's not balanced or fair or a good use of our money.... If the crowds were light because the weather was colder you wouldn't be complaining.

And as for parking, it would be worth complaining if they said he you get free parking but then changed it. But people don't complain that GOld Pass have to pay for preferred parking... If the park said hey Gold Pass parking is going to be the farthest from the gate, well then that's what it is. Free is free.

And no matter what the park offers as extra perks, the reason the GP exists is to offer free parking and unlimited entrance into KI during that season. Platinum is for all parks. The reg doesn't give you parking or entrance in October.

Also how much are we paying to save 10% using our Gold Pass?

The park is losing nothing offering 10% for the Gold Pass.  Nor would they be losing anything to open up a ride or two on the busy days for ERT.  Seriously?  If ERT is amazing, word-of-mouth alone will sell them more gold passes, and this thread wouldn't exist.

The Gold Pass is more expensive than the Regular Pass. The sole reason for buying a higher tier pass is for extras such as "free" parking, ERT, and discounts. You pay for them when you buy the pass, whether it be the flat rate or the monthly one.

None of the benefits are "free." Sure, it saves you money and you don't have to pay for that parking when you physically go to the park, but it's certainly not free.

Soooo how much was the regular pass from say October till about a month or so ago? Because it wasn't offered..... And in about a month Gold won't be offered....

I think you misunderstood what I meant by "fair." I was referring to the critique of this year's ERT being fair. 

You also don't seem to understand that very few of us are "upset." At least not in the dramatic terms you clearly think. The only one who seems upset, that their piece of cake didn't come before dinner, is apparently you, because people are complaining about something you don't care about, so why not come stomp on our parade for "fun?" You must be a young 30...

• Like 4

I hope your gf/wife does this to you when you are not thrilled with something Mr shark.

Nah I don't have many things that bother me. Plus what's wrong with asking some innocent thought provoking questions... Truth be told this is more fun asking people to explain why they are upset

I hope your gf/wife does this to you when you are not thrilled with something Mr shark.

Nah I don't have many things that bother me. Plus what's wrong with asking some innocent thought provoking questions... Truth be told this is more fun asking people to explain why they are upset

Why am I upset?  Same price, less perks.  Confusing?

I think you misunderstood what I meant by "fair." I was referring to the critique of this year's ERT being fair.

You also don't seem to understand that very few of us are "upset." At least not in the dramatic terms you clearly think. The only one who seems upset, that their piece of cake didn't come before dinner, is apparently you, because people are complaining about something you don't care about, so why not come stop our parade?

So explain what isn't fair? Did the park state that ERT was certain rides and time when you bought your pass and then changed it? Because if so I'll be with you guys in the picket line....

A Gold Pass Renewal right now is $102, a brand new one is $123, one day admission (with the online fee) is $50. So if you visit the park 3 or more times, it's like you've already "paid off your pass" through admission.

bjcolglazier, on 28 Apr 2016 - 10:16 PM, said:
The park is losing nothing offering 10% for the Gold Pass.  Nor would they be losing anything to open up a ride or two on the busy days for ERT.  Seriously?  If ERT is amazing, word-of-mouth alone will sell them more gold passes, and this thread wouldn't exist.

They would be losing out on something. Staffing the rides cost $....during ERT restaurants/shops aren't typically open so they wouldn't be bringing in any money, but they'd be paying out in labor.

The fact here is, they open the park early for Gold Pass and Platinum Pass holders when they technically don't have to.

Why am I upset?  Same price, less perks.  Confusing?

But there aren't less perks. They actually have more rides open than they did last year. They just don't happen to be your cup of tea. Everyone who has a pas has an equal opportunity to ride rides on ERT. Some just get to the rides much earlier than others. Some run to rides (though I don't suggest it). 

• Like 2