2016 ERT has gotta make some changes

bjcolglazier

No one said the new system wasn't "fair" nor did they say it wasn't what was advertised for this year. They are conversationally saying they simply prefer a more balanced system or something similar to previous years. I'm all for the rotating ERT schedule and I like that there are smaller riders on it. However, I would prefer* having two major thrill rides on the list, not just one. 

*Note that I said "preferred," not "demanded."

EDIT: I also understand that people hold different values to their pass. Some have a more open schedule and can go a couple times every week, while others may only get 4 or 5 visits a year, due to careers, families, and just life in general. So, for some, the perks are more of a deal than to others. 

• Like 3

The lines are wayyyy longer this year.  Which means the lineup isn't the 'cup of tea' for a whole lot of folks.  The park either made a mistake, or decided to hose most of us who want to ride big coasters.  This isn't hard.

A lot of people have different "cups of tea," so a more balanced line up could greatly benefit a majority of all parties who care about ERT. I understand some people don't care about ERT. But, then again, why come into an ERT thread if you don't care about ERT? 

• Like 3

The park is losing nothing offering 10% for the Gold Pass. Nor would they be losing anything to open up a ride or two on the busy days for ERT. Seriously? If ERT is amazing, word-of-mouth alone will sell them more gold passes, and this thread wouldn't exist.

Soooo should the park judge busy days by the amount of people standing in front of the gate? Historical data? Weather data? Magic eight ball?

The judgement that it's not fair or balanced or cup o tea is based on the first open Sunday of the season. A day in which is hit 75+. A day that was beautiful and the parking lot was packed. A day that for a kiddie ride the line was 20 mins.

Let's not forget this topic was started on a fan site. The poster could have

1: called the park

2: visited customer service before leaving

3: visit customer service before entering on the next visit

4: wrote a letter

5: wrote an email

6: wrote a tweet

7: wrote on the parks Facebook wall

8: wrote a telegram

9: did smoke signals

10: hold up signs outside the park

• Like 2

Joshua  on 28 April 2016 - 10:27pm said: 

No one said the new system wasn't "faired" nor did they say it wasn't what was advertised for this year. They are conversationally saying they simply prefer a more balanced system or something similar to previous years. I'm all for the rotating ERT schedule and I like that there are smaller riders on it. However, I would prefer* having two major thrill rides on the list, not just one.

*Note that I said "preferred," not "demanded."

So go tell the park that. Go to guest relations, email them.

I'd prefer the whole park be open for ERT, but that's not realistic. Having one or two more thrill rides is.

The thing is, they normally don't announce ERT line up until a few weeks before the park opens. Folks should be able to expect some sort of change from the previous year. Whether it's two rides all season or a rotating schedule like we have this year. ERT rides are not guaranteed until scheduled.

Who knows, Kings Island may be testing this out to see how it works. They may not do it again next year.

I cannot encourage you (in general) enough to actually give feedback to the park. Honestly, if it's on here, they see it as it must not be important or they would have came to Guest Relations or sent us an email.

The lines are wayyyy longer this year.  Which means the lineup isn't the 'cup of tea' for a whole lot of folks.  The park either made a mistake, or decided to hose most of us who want to ride big coasters.  This isn't hard.

So you are speaking for a whole lot of folks? Opening day I heard a few people say oh wow this line is long but they left it at that. But I did not hear one person say, man they need to open up another coaster because this isn't ERT. You've also got to realize the lines are wayyyyy longer this year but they're generally always long on the first few weekends if the weather is good. 

Once the season enters into daily operations the lines will thin out I'm sure.

The lines are wayyyy longer this year. Which means the lineup isn't the 'cup of tea' for a whole lot of folks. The park either made a mistake, or decided to hose most of us who want to ride big coasters. This isn't hard.

A lot of people have different "cups of tea," so a more balanced line up could greatly benefit a majority of all parties who care about ERT. I understand some people don't care about ERT. But, then again, why come into an ERT thread if you don't care about ERT?

In all honesty, no matter which ride or rides are open people are going to be upset or angry (hopefully no one goes mad over this). If you don't like the ERT line up no one is saying you have to go.

I teach my older students to pick the mountain they want to die on. It means is this really worth it. Is it worth staking your claim that this is how you want people to see you and judge you.

For some maybe ERT not offering enough is merit enough to post on a board and complain about it. Others feel that it's worth pointing out that in the grand scheme of things it's not worth being upset about.

^ I think you're wrong as I've been at the park on insanely busy days and not-so-busy-days.  ERT was never as bad as Sunday...and Sunday WASN'T BUSY!  But whatever.   Heading to bed.  I'm sure daily May lines won't be horrible...but a nice weekend, you're gonna see folks adding to this thread.  

• Like 3

You're allowed to think we're wrong, so thanks! 

I've been to the park and worked at the park on insanely busy days and no-so-busy-days. ERT has been as bad and worse. 

I hope if that point comes in May where it's a "problem" those folks contact the park. That's the true way to have your voice heard.

I hope that if anyone in the park has something that isn't quite positive to say about the park, they not discuss it here and simply contact the park....

--12 HOURS LATER--

The forum is a ghost town. 

:D

Kidding aside, it doesn't necessarily matter if people contacted the park or not. No one said the sky is falling. No one is crying. People are (were?) simply discussing something that isn't like what it used to be, which matches a lot of conversations here. I seem to recall a similar discussion when the rules for the Dining Plans were changed one year.

It's okay to have a different opinion, and your's, chugh, has been handed respectfully. However, it's another story to come in here, suggest everyone not quite satisfied are whiny children, then use the cheap "I'm playing devil's advocate" defense. For some reason, an image of Donald Trump just popped in my head..

• Like 2

It's something new and with new things it isn't always perfect. It's only been 2 weekends. Give it time to balance itself out and if you have complaints. Take it to the park too. They need feedback on certain things and would prefer bearing it from a guest rather than on a forum board. That being said. This is a trial year for Kings Island with the rotating rides system. Next year they will fix it up and maybe open more rides depending on what is the most popular this year.

• Like 5

I hope that if anyone in the park has something that isn't quite positive to say about the park, they not discuss it here and simply contact the park....

--12 HOURS LATER--

The forum is a ghost town.

:D

Kidding aside, it doesn't necessarily matter if people contacted the park or not. No one said the sky is falling. No one is crying. People are (were?) simply discussing something that isn't like what it used to be, which matches a lot of conversations here. I seem to recall a similar discussion when the rules for the Dining Plans were changed one year.

It's okay to have a different opinion, and your's, chugh, has been handed respectfully. However, it's another story to come in here, suggest everyone not quite satisfied are whiny children, then use the cheap "I'm playing devil's advocate" defense. For some reason, an image of Donald Trump just popped in my head..

Or you could just call me out instead of a vague passive aggressive swipe. That works just as well. Look I have no dog in this fight. The parks offerings of ERT do not bother nor entice me. But yes if you are complaining about something that is free you but you want more free stuff you are being very childish. And if you complain irrationally someone is going to call you out on it.

Comparing the meal plan to this is apples and oranges. The Meal Plan was sold with a certain set of parameters. Those parameters were changed after many plans were sold making the entire plan itself different. It wasn't restaurants being added or removed or the amount of food options. It was a fundamental change in a product that was bought for one purpose.

ERT is not a separate entity that you pay more for as an upgrade. It's a "freebie" offered as a "thank you" for purchasing early. You can disregard this and state you paid for ERT and by that logic you have also paid for the 10% discount offered at points of purchase.

And Joshua you could have sent a PM and said I think playing devils advocate is cheap but I see you have taken to the board to call me out in a hope for likes? Maybe?

• Like 1

The Gold Pass is more expensive than the Regular Pass. The sole reason for buying a higher tier pass is for extras such as "free" parking, ERT, and discounts. You pay for them when you buy the pass, whether it be the flat rate or the monthly one.

None of the benefits are "free." Sure, it saves you money and you don't have to pay for that parking when you physically go to the park, but it's certainly not free.

So again Josh how much did you pay for ERT and the discount? How much are you saving by using the Gold Pass what's your savings? Because we can calculate the cost of attending the park from Parking and the ticket but how much to get some ERT in? Is that a $15 each time thing?

I hope your gf/wife does this to you when you are not thrilled with something Mr shark.

Thought about this. I hope she does too if I go off on some childish rant about how life's not fair because I stood in a line I volunteered to be in that was too long because the free perk didn't pan out to be as great as a I planned and hoped it would be.

• Like 2

My personal opinion, this thread needs to be shut down. It was earlier asked the age of people on here, everyone is acting like children. Too many personal attacks, this forum is one of my favorite places to go because threads don't generally break down like this... ugly...

• Like 6

For those of you who are supportive of the current ERT setup, what if they shortened the early entry from 30 minutes to 15 minutes?  (Let's assume they never advertised or set 30 minutes as a precedent.)  Would that impact your opinion of whether this perk was a good value?  

In my opinion, 30 minutes has already crossed the line of being too little time to do much "riding", which is kinda the point of "early ride time".  This is especially true when only one major adult attraction is open (in this case Diamondback).  It also doesn't leave much room for delays in opening a ride, which is a frequent problem at Cedar Point with their ERT.  A lot has to be done in the morning before a ride opens, and sometimes small delays aren't easily avoidable.    

On my part, this is not crybaby complaining.  I don't feel the need to visit guest services and file a complaint.  I just think it is a big miss by the park not to have the most popular rides open early every day with enough time to give passholders a chance to do some actual riding.

• Like 6

You know, what I truthfully think would be a fabulous solution, and would give people the belief they have some genuine input in regards to the parks decision?  Hold a vote, a very simple popular vote, where GP and PP holders are given the choice of any one ride in each area of the park to have open for ERT.  One ride in Action Zone, one in Coney Mall, one in X-Base, one in Rivertown, and one in Planet Snoopy.  Keep ERT at 30 minutes to minimize the loss seen by the park from a utilities and labor standpoint, and gain in the respect that there are now patrons at least somewhat equally spread throughout the park when the drink stands, eateries, games, etc open.  I feel this would at least reasonably satisfy both sides, and there could even still be a form of rotation through the season by using the 2nd most popular from each section for the second half of the season.  I want to again say that, I dont feel we as GP and PP holders are "entitled" to a thing beyond what is offered, I am just pointing out what I feel would be a good OPTION for both parties.

• Like 2

42. I am usually very quiet  and rarely post.  So be it, call me a stalker.  I cannot believe we have 4 pages of what I see attacks on several individuals.  I see this as a personal opinion that someone thought they wanted to share.  Maybe we could have used a better choice of words, but sometimes we say what comes to mind.  I believe that is what a forum should be for, opinions.  Now, one thing that I haven't seen that I see a lot of complaining about is that the individual should have went to the park to bring this to their attention, and maybe they did.  I don't see anywhere where it was said they didn't.

Now, my opinion, ERT is something the park is seemingly cutting back on.  The overall economy is lacking, so I am sure that the park is not making the amount they used to with lots of people not having the money for vacations like they used to have.  Don't get me wrong, the park is still making money, it wouldn't be open if it wasn't, but it is trying to cut back in places that will have the smallest effects.  The park is constantly trying to make the visitors happy.  However, you cannot make everyone happy all the time.  For example, some people love the idea for the Fast Lane, go ahead and roast me for not capitalizing it, but, I am one that absolutely disagrees with it.  I believe it teaches the wrong principals to kids, but this is just my opinion.  I am entitled to that.  I will just never use this option, even if given to me.  

Back to subject at hand, this thread was started as an opinion stated.  Maybe a poor choice of words to start it, but that is what I see it is.  

Now, go ahead and criticize.  Roast me if you want to.  

• Like 4

I'll let someone else chime in on how well Cedar Fair is doing financially these days.

I have no problem with Fast Lane if it's handled properly;  i.e.  not being used during Early Entry and non-wristband possessing individuals failing to be stopped at the point of entry and then using the empty Fast Lane to line jump.

• Like 1

I have a nice solution. They could make ERT for platinum pass holders only. That would thin it out and sort of put a price on it. Gold pass holders would get all of the same benefits as usual like free parking. It would also increase the revenue for Cedar Fair because more people would buy Platinum passes. I know this will never happen but it would be cool since I'm a pp holder.

• Like 7

Hahahaha, wow, Im glad to see someone else said it, because I was thinking it but thought to myself "Man, that makes me sound like a total Elitist, I need to buy Fast Lane next time Im at the park".  While yes, the self-server thats in me sometimes would Love that as much as the two of you would, you are right, dragsterguy, in that it very likely wouldnt ever happen.  Id be willing to place a very large wager on the bet that a very high percentage of people/Families in the general vicinity of KI (in other words, the most regular visitors) have Gold Passes instead of Platinum, and that would not bode well for the park and especially the pour souls at GR who would have to field all of those complaints.

• Like 3

Now we're talkin'.  ;-)  I'm liking the outpouring of ideas here...very good.  What about Platinum gets an hour, Gold 1/2 hour?  I've got Platinum myself.  As for Fast Lane, I'm afraid the price has risen to the point the park has out-priced my family in that regard anymore.  Too many darn kids, but we used to do it sometimes.

• Like 3

You want to know what my best FL moment was?  It was standing inside Millie's nice, dry station as a lowly regular line person, and laughing heartily at the Fast Laners who were stuck in their line outside in one of Sandusky's nice COLD early June afternoon rains.   :D

On a serious note, I dont see any changes being made, and I do think we have explored a good number of the most viable/feasible options, so I will just be a casual observer of the thread now.

Made my first 2016 trip to the park today.  Was there from 9:30am until about 2pm.  Take a guess at my longest wait of the day.  Food service?  The Beast?  Any other ride or...anything at all...after 10am "opening"?

Nope.  Longest wait of the day was for Diamondback during ERT.  Ridiculous.  Line was stretched clear back practically to the ice cream shop in Planet Snoopy until the light-bulbs went off and they opened up some queue's for Diamondback.  This was a non-issue the last couple years.  Many ERT rides taken in previous years...great experiences.  The difference?  Banshee isn't running.

This needs fixed asap!  Keep the current schedule, but Banshee needs to be running for ERT the entire season no matter what.  Really hoping the park sees the disaster they've created.

We had a great day today, don't get me wrong.  I was just shocked that the worst part of the whole day was ERT.  Ugh!  Not a good way to start the year.

As someone who has historically taken advantage of the ERT, this is disappointing. I'm glad I found this thread though, as I didn't realize they had a rotating schedule this year. Looks like there is no reason (for our family) to show up for ERT in July.

I did like that Diamondback was in the ERT lineup two years ago (the last time we had Gold pass), as we could get a ride (or two) in first thing before the line got longer later in the day.

And I did pay for ERT. It isn't "free". It is one of the benefits of buying a Gold Pass. Just because there isn't an explicit cost savings associated with it, like say the parking benefit, it is a benefit of having the card. Any time they change or alter their passholder benefits, it is a viable discussion point of pros/cons of the change. Not sure why bringing this up as a con for some or discussion of how their changes impacted the lines is that big of a deal. Seems like a topic that should be discussed, IMO. And I appreciate the OP for bringing it up!

• Like 7

I really enjoyed Vortex/WindSeeker ERT back in 2011...

Yes, I do realize that I'm the only one...

Hey, be glad you got to experience that. I really wanted to but I was never able to make it before Vortex's chain broke! :P

On the topic of ERT, it sure sounds like the current experience has been a far cry from the wonderful night that was November 1, 2015 post-park-closure ERT...:unsure:

Plus, I wish Kings Island's ERT was an hour like it was in 2010 and 2012. I absolutely LOVE Cedar Point's Early Entry not only because you can walk all around the whole park (and enjoy the good-sized ride lineup, of course) but also because it is a full hour, which has really served me well on my semi-annual trips!! :)

• Like 3