Meal Deals, and meal deals

Stoan

Rant - The park closes at 8pm on Sunday, why the heck are restaurants closed at 7:15. I walked into Panda Express at 7:15 tonight and was turned away with 5 other people because they were closing. There is food on the line, plenty of food, I can see it 4 paces away. Just give me that food you have.  It doesn't take that much time to break down a fast food joint. I have worked at a sit down restaurant before, even there the kitchen only closes half an hour before the location is closed, and they make the food fresh. We all know and accept we aren't getting made to order food at an amusement park, the food is cooked, it is under a heat lamp, serve me the old food you have, I don't care. If you are worried that I won't be happy with that, then notify me "We made the food a bit ago, the kitchen isn't cooking anything fresh, here is what we have if you still want it". This ****es me off to no end, the park is closed at 8, close the park at 8.

Most food locations, excluding those on International Street, open one hour after the park opens and close one hour before the park closes. This has been the case for several years. I-Street locations usually open earlier and close later; LaRosa's on I-Street is often open well past the official park closing time.

Another time, a 10% season pass discount was applied to the dining plan "price", confusing everyone with a check that came out negative.

A negative check? That's odd. I wish I had been there to see that!

• Like 1

I was at the park on Friday and, like many others, decided to get I-Street food on the way out after closing rather than wait in the long lines.  By 10:10 or so, they had already closed LaRosa's and Skyline yet Cinnabon was still open.  As any of you who have the meal plan know, Cinnabon is not on the meal plan but LaRosa's and Skyline are.  This was very disappointing.

Also, staffing continues to be an issue.  Today was the first day of daily operations (the way I look at it) and the following food locations were open today:

I-Street LaRosa's

Chicken Shack

Festhaus (not Panda)

Coney Skyline

I don't know if Reds opened or not, but I doubt it.

Clearly there are some issues here.  Hopefully that can be resolved by the time the bulk of the season comes up.

• Like 2

I was at the park on Friday and, like many others, decided to get I-Street food on the way out after closing rather than wait in the long lines.  By 10:10 or so, they had already closed LaRosa's and Skyline yet Cinnabon was still open.  As any of you who have the meal plan know, Cinnabon is not on the meal plan but LaRosa's and Skyline are.  This was very disappointing.

Also, staffing continues to be an issue.  Today was the first day of daily operations (the way I look at it) and the following food locations were open today:

I-Street LaRosa's

Chicken Shack

Festhaus (not Panda)

Coney Skyline

I don't know if Reds opened or not, but I doubt it.

Clearly there are some issues here.  Hopefully that can be resolved by the time the bulk of the season comes up.

I agree and wonder if is just a staff issue or that they are trying to eliminate the "free food and drinks" on days like Education Day when they know a lot of hungry high school students are in the park.  All the drink stands were closed which made me think it might be more strategic than just staffing.  Chic-fil-a was also open but the line was extra long.  If Tower Drinks is ever closed the yogurt shop is close by and never seems to have too long of a line to get a drink.

• Like 2

I'm glad they got rid of the wrap. I liked eating it, but it takes too long to make and slows the line way down... So I support pulling it from the dining plan (frankly they should pull it from the menu since they aren't able to make them fast enough).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While at I-Street LaRosa's today, I saw the cashier ring up 4 separate folks in front of me over $20 for the 2-slice pizza, 2 breadsticks, and drink combo.  When guests said "but the sign says $15-something", employee said that is what the cash register is ringing up today.  The guests reluctantly paid.  I noticed she keyed in the combo and added a drink, which is why it was coming out more than it should.  Said employee's nametag indicated she was a supervisor.

And we wonder why there are problems!

• Like 3

While at I-Street LaRosa's today, I saw the cashier ring up 4 separate folks in front of me over $20 for the 2-slice pizza, 2 breadsticks, and drink combo.  When guests said "but the sign says $15-something", employee said that is what the cash register is ringing up today.  The guests reluctantly paid.

I don't suppose they were given receipts?

I can only imagine what those guests will tell friends (or even an obnoxious consumer affairs reporter) about the food at Kings Island. Hopefully someone took the matter to Guest Services.

• Like 3

You could go to Guest Services even now (when the park's open). If affected customer(s) paid with a card, they could presumably look up & refund the incorrect charge(s).

I shudder to think of the day when $20 will be the normal price for two slices of KI pizza, a breadstick, and a fountain drink.

• Like 2

Called the park to check about refunds and they said no way. They did acknowledge (Emma in customer service) that it's a waste of money and some lines take the same amount of time as leaving the park and returning.

We only have one for my son and next year we won't be getting one since he will be bigger and can go longer between meals.

• Like 2

A customer service person said it is a waste of money? I find that odd and would not want that person representing my product even if it may be lackluster. Anyway I stepped out on a limb and got it for the first time. Mainly because leaving the park with a 2 1/2 year old is difficult and explaining why were are leaving won't work. I have found it to be worth the money especially now that we discovered the Reds Hall of Fame Grille. The lines do suck but we have learned how to plan and time things since our first fiasco this season. 

• Like 2

I went again yesterday and more locations were open. I noticed people were wearing real Skyline uniforms. I'm wondering if they brought in real Skyline employees.

I don't buy the idea that they are intentionally making the lines longer, but I think staffing - mainly finding employees - is a real issue.

Anyone know someone looking for a job?

• Like 3

Yeah, staffing does seem to be an issue so far, so hopefully the ending of the school years will help there.

On Monday I saw a ride op, and I think admissions person, working as sweeps. Greg Scheid was working the tolls for at least awhile, according to my husband (but that may have been a whim rather than necessity). Last year by the end of Haunt, I saw security personnel working as ride ops, and police officers making ice cream. There is a definite scramble when the students aren't able to work.

• Like 4

Maybe if minimum wage was a little higher. Hard to get adults to work for peanuts. Kids don't have as many bills and obligations as adults.

They tweeted out a few weeks ago that starting pay was going up to $9/hr in foods.
  • Like 2

Staffing is the number 1 issue with Food at KI. I don't think the dining plan is a waste of money. I feel I get my money's worth on the plan. I've already gotten 12 meals a month into the season between KI and CP. Opening weekend at CP the food lines were quick other than a few issues with the register's.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Maybe if minimum wage was a little higher. Hard to get adults to work for peanuts. Kids don't have as many bills and obligations as adults.

Min wage goin up wouldn't help much. If all min wages rise, then you will see an eventual catch up in the price of goods as well which negates the rise in income.

Now if they are were to pay say at $15/Hr then you would attract people not looking for min wage jobs, which would bring in older better workers for some positions...

I'm not an economists just worked enough min wage jobs to know that if you pay more than min you usually get a better class of worker.

• Like 1

I have to admit, on Friday I opted to leave the park and pay for Wendy's as opposed to waiting in a huge line.  I know Terp is going to make a claim that the park won on that day, which may or may not be true.  The truth is, I'm pretty loyal to KI and will buy the meal plan next year... but there may be thousands upon thousands of others who don't feel the same way.  

Also, if anyone out there with authority in the foods department is reading this - don't write this off as being a "victim of your own success" when it comes to selling dining plans.  The ride crews have never been better, Flight of Fear hasn't looked better in a decade, the shops look wonderful, and the employees (including the foods employees) have never been better... but if you look at Kings Island's social, this is all people are talking about.  Guests are walking away only remembering waiting absurd amounts of time for food.  No more excuses - let's fix this.  I'm only saying this because I care. 

• Like 6

Terp isn't going to say that the park won. It's losing people. Some, perhaps, totally and forever.

Terp is going to say that if you were not to get your money's worth but still bought a meal plan, then the park "won."

The park makes its rules, pricing, service and quality levels. Individuals make their decisions.

It's when the rules and service and quality change for the worse after the park has your money--and worse, when meal plans affect full freight customers' food quality, service and pricing that I get upset.

See also Fast Lane. Remember, at first, the park claimed it would not adversely affect other customers.

You don't hear that anymore. It simply isn't true.

• Like 5

If we could go back to consistent food quality & quick service at KI, albeit without meal plans, I'd happily go back to paying as I go. In fact, I'd buy more food than I used to, since the meal plan has me used to two in-park meals per day.

In related news, today I had my first meal at Cedar Point since 2014 that was served at the proper temperature. Frontier Inn in its second week of operation.

• Like 2