Meal Deals, and meal deals

Stoan

Thought I'd start posting the end of season food outages... River town la Rosa apparently is out of the cheese for the breadsticks and told us they aren't allowed to get any from the other la Rosas.

And so it begins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Festhaus LaRosas also appears to not have cheese on the breadsticks, al least last Friday anyways.

• 3 months later...

I really hope Tom+Chee comes back next year and is on the meal plan. I was super pumped when I saw them take over the last few weekends of the season, and could use some more versitality to my meals at the park since I always get the meal plan on my pass...

• Like 1

its still months from opening, but KI's meal plan page doesn't list any changes to the restaurants or their offerings.

I'd love to see a BBQ place, or Tom+Chee. I actually got two meal plans this year, so I have a better chance of eating everything in the park this time =)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Is the meal plan valid during winter fest?

Single Meal Deal and All Day Dining Plan valid through 10/29. Not valid for WinterFest.
All Season Dining Plan valid through WinterFest.
Need more information? See our Dining Plan FAQs

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/things-to-do/dining-plans

Edited by Stoan
source
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, CoasterOhio said:

Probably Larosa's.. If the train were to be available, possibly Tom and Chee. Panda Express?

I guess I was hoping for a few different options for Christmas instead of summer options? Chicken shack with mashed potatoes and gravy instead of fries for instance?

• Like 3

Food places generally open about an hour after the park does (not including ERT). I like to go right then before the lines get too long. Around 3-4 is another fairly low time. 

Be aware they also tend to close an hour before the park closes. Exceptions in the past have been on International Street. That La Rosa's is usually open until the park close time, and as far as I know, the Skyline there is as well. 

Don't take any visit before, say, June, as representative of how the lines will be all season, either. At least last year, they weren't fully staffed with their seasonal help nor apparently fully trained, and things were slow with exceptionally long lines. A line length that usually meant a half hour wait at Panda Express would take an hour, and one to two hour lines at all the food places were not uncommon the first few weeks. It got a lot better. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Siduas said:

Wow! 1 to 2 hour wait times for food!! Thanks for the info, we will definitely adjust our eating times if that means a lesser wait.

Yah, there is no excuse for that nonsense.  If you don't have the staff to feed your guests call in the food trucks, they will be happy to have the business. They caught a lot grief for it from what I hear.  Hopefully things improve this year.  

I think the Meal plans are a great deal, but I don't do long waits for food. I didn't have any problems last year but I only went on weekdays early in the season. I would rather leave the park for fast food or eat out of a cooler and usually have a decent amount in of food in a cooler just in case.  

• Like 3

The biggest issue with slow food is just how inefficient they are at moving the food from point A to point B. 4 registers that take orders, then turn around and walk off to get the food and drinks is MUCH slower than doing 2 registers and 2 runners for food and drinks.

The food is premade so that isn't the slow down in most cases, it is almost always the 5 feet between the window and the customer. Watching a busy Chick-Fil-A is even worse, they have no pick up window and have to try to yell out a name into a lively, active line of people at an amusement park. It is nearly impossible to hear your name, there is nowhere to stand for pickup, it is a horrible setup. If there are more than 4 people per line there I won't wait it is a mess. BUT they are one of the few places with packaged hot sauce.

• Like 2

In my limited experience with park food, KI is the worst of all.  I had no issues at CP, KD, Cwinds, SFOG, DW or SFOG.  I had a slight issue at KK in that the place I wanted to try near Storm Chaser was only open once, and when it was open, it was "drinks only" so I had to waste 10 minutes.

In my experience, KI's food service is severely lacking, be it early season, mid season of Haunt season.  At the Blue Ice cream stand, on a dead August weekday, you shouldn't have to wait 30 minutes for a cone, to find there is one register open with the cashier handling money and food without proper hand hygiene.  And the supervisor was indignant about me wanting a clean ice cream cone.  Oh and the lack of trays at Skyline....lol

However, I did see glances that may point to better times.  At Skyline on IS, the drink person actually helped the chili maker a few times which sped up the line greatly.

• Like 4

Here's what the food lines looked like on Opening Day last year:

skmw.jpg

Luckily, it wasn't like that all season. While there were exceptions (eg. Dollar Days), staffing & efficiency did improve. Things also got better as guests learned to use the new, dedicated drink stands to redeem and refill souvenir bottles. Some guests saw hour-plus waits, but that wasn't typical of the season as a whole.

If you come across a food line like the one pictured, my advice would be to look elsewhere in the park or come back later. In 2016, I generally found the best service at Rivertown Potato Works.

Leaving the park to eat is also an option; there are many choices a short drive away, or Great Wolf Lodge can be walked to.

• Like 3

What I if interesting is the Soak City burger/chicken stand ran incredibly well the half dozen or so times I used it.  

@sloan your experience obviously differes but I do find the *one* of the problems frequently is cooking of the food and I get it to a degree because breaded chicken does not last long under a warmer.   

They also don't have enough dedicated drink stands.

• Like 4