Meal Deals, and meal deals

Stoan

On 2/3/2017 at 2:17 PM, malem said:

Leaving the park to eat is also an option; there are many choices a short drive away, or Great Wolf Lodge can be walked to.

This is my plan for the 2017 season. I've essentially given up on KI's food service. I didn't get the dining plan because of the terrible food service I experienced in 2015 and heard reports about in 2016, so between the service and the ridiculously high prices, I intend to go elsewhere for my meals this season.

• Like 1

I wish I had read more here before I purchased our meal plan lol. Not only do we have long lines and usually terrible service, but also looking at the food options on the plan it seams REALLY limited, and  hardly any healthy options. I think Parking lot picnic is the way to go!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Siduas said:

I wish I had read more here before I purchased our meal plan lol. Not only do we have long lines and usually terrible service, but also looking at the food options on the plan it seams REALLY limited, and  hardly any healthy options. I think Parking lot picnic is the way to go!

I'm quite the opposite. Each person's experience is how they perceived it. Yeah, there were issues early in the season but they worked themselves out mostly. 

The options haven't been released yet, so they may seam limited. It's park food, unless you get a salad (even that's debatable) any food you may get more than likely won't be healthy. 

I love the option that I don't have to spend any additional cash out of my pocket to purchase food for when I'm at the park. I also am able to use the meal plan at any other Cedar Fair Park. Last year alone, I made 25ish visits to a CF park and saved just over $500 on food (yes I actually track it). 

Financially it makes sense to me to use it. 

• Like 8

A lot of the value in a meal plan is personal.  How frequently do you visit the park and for how long?  Do you travel to other Cedar Fair parks?  For instance I value the meal plan a lot more at Cedar Point then Kings Island.  When I visit Cedar Point I spent a lot of money on gas, hotel, and other expenses.  At that point my time is worth more then the cost of the park food.  So even if I did not have the meal plan I would still be eating in the park in those instances.

The problem with the food service locations at Kings Island is that they were designed a long time ago and they are really not efficient.  A lot of the problems could be fixed by remodeling.  I am hoping some changes have been made in the off season we do not yet know about.

Starting with Festhaus and replacing LaRosas by changing it to a more open layout like Harmony hall for instance, although this might require extending that side of the building.  Changing the way the layout at other restaurants is also important.  The fastest service I have seen is by having several registers where you first place your order, at which point you receive a number, plus your cup if you are getting a drink, then you have a few pop machines where the park guest fills there own cup, and finally a large counter at which you receive your order on a tray.  The park did try this with the Jukebox Diner last year, the problems all appeared to be in placing the orders.  Once you got past the resister it went pretty fast.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, chugh43 said:

I'm quite the opposite. Each person's experience is how they perceived it. Yeah, there were issues early in the season but they worked themselves out mostly. 

The options haven't been released yet, so they may seam limited. It's park food, unless you get a salad (even that's debatable) any food you may get more than likely won't be healthy. 

I love the option that I don't have to spend any additional cash out of my pocket to purchase food for when I'm at the park. I also am able to use the meal plan at any other Cedar Fair Park. Last year alone, I made 25ish visits to a CF park and saved just over $500 on food (yes I actually track it). 

Financially it makes sense to me to use it. 

Thanks for the positive look at the meal plan! I was starting to get discouraged from all the posts.  You sound like me, I have a spreadsheet for EVERYTHING to track expenses, camping reservations and such.

So how does everyone handle drinks with the meal plan? If I do get the souvenir bottles for my family, how do we tote them around and such, and what considerations for when we ride rides, ie. where to Stowe.

• Like 1

As far as the drink bottles go, I don't get them. I am waiting to see if they do anything with attaching it to your pass instead of a cup.

I don't drink soda so it's not a huge thing for me. I just get a couple of the free water cups and I'm good to go.

I will splurge every once in a while and get a Powerade. It's worth noting as of last year you could stop in and get a big cup of water from Reds Hall of Fame Grille at the bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I'm feeling pretty rankled by the removal of Rivertown Potato Works from the dining plans. I'm still hoping it is just an oversight, but from what I remember of how the website was last season, it would take an effort to remove rather than it accidentally not being added. 

Red's removal makes actual sense, with as much trouble as they have getting and keeping good servers (or any servers at all). It is a hard job to fill seasonally unless the park is willing to pay more than other restaurants and/or the tips are really good. And although I was always careful to tip well on the listed price of my meals when I ate there, I suspect many (with or without meal plans) don't. 

I've noticed that neither Tom + Chee or the new as-yet-unnamed restaurant in Soak City seem to be listed (Rivertown Hot Dog is still listed) so I'm holding out hope that the site just isn't finalized and at least Rivertown Potato Works will be added back on.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Siduas said:

Thanks for the positive look at the meal plan! I was starting to get discouraged from all the posts.  You sound like me, I have a spreadsheet for EVERYTHING to track expenses, camping reservations and such.

So how does everyone handle drinks with the meal plan? If I do get the souvenir bottles for my family, how do we tote them around and such, and what considerations for when we ride rides, ie. where to Stowe.

There are occasionally long lines if you go on a busy day that is to be expected. The food isn't superb at any stretch, but frequency is key really. If you lock yourself into only one place you are willing to eat at you are going to get burned. There is a meal deal at almost every food location, walk around, if you see a short line grab it. I have gotten the plan the last three seasons with this being my fourth and first time with two plans instead of splitting one. I average going to the park about 50 times a year, assuming the cost of the plan + the pass, I'm only shelling out 4 bucks a meal, which is pretty good considering I get free rides with it!

As for the drinks, just tell them the combo you want, and the drink you want. Hand them the pass and the cup they are usually able to figure it out after that. I only use one cup so I just carry it about with me. On rides you have to set it aside, they are unwieldy to carry on pretty much any ride.

I will however let you in on a SUPER secret idea I am surprised not more people have mentioned. Fr realzies though the more people that do this the less effective it is, so keep that in mind. When you pick up your cup, ask for one of the other cup's lids. On rides EVERYONE will have one of two colors. Remembering which is yours is sometimes hard. How do I know which Orange cup of mine in a literal sea of orange cups? Mine is the one with the orange cup with the green lid from the one-day cups.

I only mention this to you know because I actually use them as souvenir cups, I have kept every cup they have made since implementing the refills. So I have every color lid there has been, so I can use one of the last few years instead of being confused which dual color cup is mine if lots of people start doing it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Magenta Lizard said:

I'm feeling pretty rankled by the removal of Rivertown Potato Works from the dining plans. I'm still hoping it is just an oversight, but from what I remember of how the website was last season, it would take an effort to remove rather than it accidentally not being added. 

Red's removal makes actual sense, with as much trouble as they have getting and keeping good servers (or any servers at all). It is a hard job to fill seasonally unless the park is willing to pay more than other restaurants and/or the tips are really good. And although I was always careful to tip well on the listed price of my meals when I ate there, I suspect many (with or without meal plans) don't. 

I've noticed that neither Tom + Chee or the new as-yet-unnamed restaurant in Soak City seem to be listed (Rivertown Hot Dog is still listed) so I'm holding out hope that the site just isn't finalized and at least Rivertown Potato Works will be added back on.  

Possibly, but unlikely, they may just be trying to limit the "free" meals till after opening day. Keep one place as their premium location to keep the lines a bit lower enticing people with actual money to go to one of the better places. Once the crowds lower, add it back to the plan.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2017 at 11:24 AM, Stoan said:

There are occasionally long lines if you go on a busy day that is to be expected. The food isn't superb at any stretch, but frequency is key really. If you lock yourself into only one place you are willing to eat at you are going to get burned. There is a meal deal at almost every food location, walk around, if you see a short line grab it. I have gotten the plan the last three seasons with this being my fourth and first time with two plans instead of splitting one. I average going to the park about 50 times a year, assuming the cost of the plan + the pass, I'm only shelling out 4 bucks a meal, which is pretty good considering I get free rides with it!

As for the drinks, just tell them the combo you want, and the drink you want. Hand them the pass and the cup they are usually able to figure it out after that. I only use one cup so I just carry it about with me. On rides you have to set it aside, they are unwieldy to carry on pretty much any ride.

I will however let you in on a SUPER secret idea I am surprised not more people have mentioned. Fr realzies though the more people that do this the less effective it is, so keep that in mind. When you pick up your cup, ask for one of the other cup's lids. On rides EVERYONE will have one of two colors. Remembering which is yours is sometimes hard. How do I know which Orange cup of mine in a literal sea of orange cups? Mine is the one with the orange cup with the green lid from the one-day cups.

I only mention this to you know because I actually use them as souvenir cups, I have kept every cup they have made since implementing the refills. So I have every color lid there has been, so I can use one of the last few years instead of being confused which dual color cup is mine if lots of people start doing it.

Thanks Stoan, sounds like patience and being flexibility is the key! We are looking forward to using the meal plan, getting excited for the year ahead!

• Like 1

Continuing with changes to the listings, I just noticed Planet Snoopy Grill now offers a corn dog meal. Coconut Cove is also no longer offering Chicken Tenders. Soak City Grill is no longer offering Bratwurst, salad or pasta. OuterHanks is only offering the burrito or bowl, no chips and salsa (I don't remember getting this anyways).

Also it appears they have redesigned the Souvenir Cups. They are a shorter more solid looking lid, instead of the tall dome.

• Like 2

Magenta Lizard asked on Twitter whether or not the plan is really taking Reds Hall of Fame Grille and Rivertown Potato Works off of the meal plan. They've stated that the plans have not been finalized and should be released soon. 

I'm just hoping what we're seeing on our end is the result of website work in preparation to a new website like Cedar Point's. 

One could hope.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Scottzzz said:

Island Smokehouse will be included on the meal plan per Facebook page.  Nothing specific listed yet.  I thought it was going to be a small shack.  Sounds like it's going to be Festhaus type seating hall.

Great that it will be part of the plan. Looks like an air conditioned sit down venue. I am glad more options for meal plan are opening up!!

• Like 1

On 2/6/2017 at 1:28 AM, Kenban said:

On 2/6/2017 at 1:28 AM, Kenban said:

Starting with Festhaus and replacing LaRosas by changing it to a more open layout like Harmony hall for instance, although this might require extending that side of the building. 

Harmony Hall is great except for when you have 5 young kids and one wants pizza, the other a turkey leg and another chicken fingers and....

On crowded days, it was a challenge.

• Like 2

If they get rid of the season bottle, I think I might just riot.

And I'm on the fence about getting a meal plan this year. Last year it worked out wonderfully for my boyfriend and I . But it is a hundred dollars, which is a steep price, and only getting two meals a day really bites honestly. We're going at least 5 days this year, once on opening day, three days for my birthday, and at least one day during haunt -- and its nice to not have to leave the park. Think we should just bite the $200 bullet? 

To contribute to the discussion about actual meals, I love the Panda Express. Orange chicken for life. And yeah, it's all unhealthy, but eating deep-fried garbage is part of the fun at a theme park!!!

• Like 2

In my opinion, the meal plan pays for it self on multiple trips. The average meal is between $10-15.....eating 2 times a day, for at least 5 trips....should get you to breaking even. It's also nice because it's not $ out of your pocket that day. 

If the all season dining doesn't work for you, you can purchase the all day....I believe you can eat every 90 minutes on that and it's much cheaper.

• Like 4

Considering buying an All Season Dining Plan to share between my Fiance and I. We visit the park 6-7 times a year maybe a little more with Winterfest this year. Has anyone done this? I've heard some people say that it's a good price/saves money while others say the opposite. I'm just curioud of all the KICers thoughts. Also, I've been told that now since you can eat every 90 minutes it's much easier to "share" on the dining plan. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, johnaalexis said:

Considering buying an All Season Dining Plan to share between my Fiance and I. We visit the park 6-7 times a year maybe a little more with Winterfest this year. Has anyone done this? I've heard some people say that it's a good price/saves money while others say the opposite. I'm just curioud of all the KICers thoughts. Also, I've been told that now since you can eat every 90 minutes it's much easier to "share" on the dining plan. 

I have shared with my wife previous to this year. It is doable, but you rarely get enough food for both of you to feel like you had a "meal". It worked well for me because my wife only likes specific things and I will eat pretty much anything.

90 minutes between meals is only on the All Day Meal Plan, not the All Season which is twice a day with a 4 hour break between. At 6-7 visits you are looking at a max of 14 meals, 12 bucks a meal you may "save" 50 bucks over the season assuming the deals cost of $111.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stoan said:

I have shared with my wife previous to this year. It is doable, but you rarely get enough food for both of you to feel like you had a "meal". It worked well for me because my wife only likes specific things and I will eat pretty much anything.

At 6-7 visits with the current price you are still paying almost the same price as the meal standard. You may break even, but maybe not.

90 minutes between meals is only on the All Day Meal Plan, not the All Season which is twice a day with a 4 hour break between.

Thank you for the carification. I think this has shifted me towards the No. Someone suggested it, but the more I think about it, We often ate breakfast outside the, then do lunch in the park and usually stop at a LaRosa's outside the park in Mason for dinner. This isn't always the pattern but it has become a habit of our! Thanks for the reply! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnaalexis said:

I've not split the Plan with anyone, but I feel you do break even with the cost. 

I have friends who share one at Cedar Point and they love it, they break even. But again, it really just depends on how often you visit.

• Like 2