Meal Deals, and meal deals

Stoan

If the Island BBQ chicken tenders are the same chicken tenders as the rest of the park I am going to be disappoint.

Interesting few changes on the list though:

Potato Works doing Boneless Chicken Wings could be really good, if they are treated like boneless wings, and not just chicken nuggets.

Festhaus now lists "Fresh Grilled Burger", that could be huge if they are made to order, the burgers before were a big sad dry cold pile of... sadness.

Coconut Cove isn't offering tenders anymore, so it may be that they just moved those to Island Smokehouse.

Very few changes since last year, if the name changes are just name changes and not process changes.

• Like 2

Major disappointment with the Island Smokehouse offering.  More greasy foods!  Made my mind up of not getting the meal plan again this year.

Even when I got a burger at RHOF 2 years ago with the meal plan it was a precooked dry piece of garbage.  Made the $9 beer taste terrible.

• Like 2

I just find it interesting that the offerings are generally the same at most locations with the occasional difference ala Hanks, Panda, Tom+Chee, Subway, and Skyline. 

But that also happens at Cedar Point. The only real difference in offerings I see at parks is through Carowinds. It's a good thing I like chicken haha.

• Like 1

I am excited to have Tom + Chee on there but the new smokehouse place is a letdown. I was hoping to get a BBQ sandwich of some sort not more tenders. Shrimp is disgusting so that option is out for me. 

I'm with you. Why isn't there a pulled pork option or brisket or even a grilled/smoked chicken sandwich. Honestly, you should be able to get any basic meal offered that you want up to a certain dollar amount each time. Also looks like Tom+Chee won't have the donut grilled cheese.
  • Like 4

Not a problem! Just know ahead of time, the cups are about 16 ounces, but well worth it because you can get a new one every 15 minutes!

That's a great idea and sounds worth it, however I still need that souvenir cup....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, harveyhaddixfan said:

I'm with you. Why isn't there a pulled pork option or brisket or even a grilled/smoked chicken sandwich. Honestly, you should be able to get any basic meal offered that you want up to a certain dollar amount each time. Also looks like Tom+Chee won't have the donut grilled cheese.

This. Instead of designating a limited selection for the dining plan and forcing us to pay full price if we want something else, why not just set it up so that the plan offers $X credit toward any meal of our choice? I think they'd actually end up with more money that way, because as it is (based on my observations of KIC groups over the past few seasons), dining plan guests typically stick entirely to the designated plan options, so the park never sees another penny from them. But let us pay the difference in cost for a fancier meal, and I think a lot of dining plan guests won't think twice about plopping down an extra two bucks per person for the pulled pork on each visit. Bonus round: knowing that they can milk dining plan guests for more money also gives them an incentive to improve the food service and quality so that those guests keep coming back, instead of the current situation where they know they won't get any more money, so they don't even try.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jcgoble3 said:

This. Instead of designating a limited selection for the dining plan and forcing us to pay full price if we want something else, why not just set it up so that the plan offers $X credit toward any meal of our choice? I think they'd actually end up with more money that way, because as it is (based on my observations of KIC groups over the past few seasons), dining plan guests typically stick entirely to the designated plan options, so the park never sees another penny from them. But let us pay the difference in cost for a fancier meal, and I think a lot of dining plan guests won't think twice about plopping down an extra two bucks per person for the pulled pork on each visit. Bonus round: knowing that they can milk dining plan guests for more money also gives them an incentive to improve the food service and quality so that those guests keep coming back, instead of the current situation where they know they won't get any more money, so they don't even try.

I would love to see the buffet brought back to wear RHOFG is now.  I think you're right, if they just said it will cost a few extra dollars I think most people would be fine with it.

• Like 4

Limited option allows for them to keep their costs way down. The meals offered are probably some of the most profitable for them. By limiting the meal plans to those, instead of giving out 3 dollars in food, they are only giving out 2 dollars in food. That little bit will add up very very fast with volume.

I agree though, I'd love to see a "$15 credit toward any food at any participating location, twice a day with a 4 hour break between". However this would cost them a bit more money.

I really miss the buffets as well, Mother's Day and Father's Day.

ALSO, I am in the process of renovating the first post with 2017's meals. I moved all the 2016 reviews off to a Google Doc and listed them for the history books. I will make mention of what has changed from last year's menus, and if the tastes have changed from my memory when I get around to eating them. I will also make an attempt to make it a bit easier to read, and actually start including pictures of the food as well.

• Like 3

When I was at the park for media day I noticed that there have been some changes to the interior of the Reds Hall of Fame Grille.  The wall directly in front of you when you enter is now plain red with what looks like a serving window.  There were two Coke machines sitting in the window which took up most of the space.  It looks like the park has made changes to how the restaurant will operate and I am not certain it will have servers.

• Like 1

Just now, Kenban said:

When I was at the park for media day I noticed that there have been some changes to the interior of the Reds Hall of Fame Grille.  The wall directly in front of you when you enter is now plain red with what looks like a serving window.  There were two Coke machines sitting in the window which took up most of the space.  It looks like the park has made changes to how the restaurant will operate and I am not certain it will have servers.

I was told reds will not be a full service place anymore

• Like 3

Be nice if they offered half and half. Sometimes I liked going in there and sitting, sometimes I just wanted my tenders and gobs of hot sauce. Will be interesting to see how it goes with the bar in there.

• Like 2

Be nice if they offered half and half. Sometimes I liked going in there and sitting, sometimes I just wanted my tenders and gobs of hot sauce. Will be interesting to see how it goes with the bar in there.

just because it stops being full service, doesn't mean you can't go in there and eat your meal sitting down. If it speeds up the process, I'm all for it. Honestly it's not like the servers were really adding much value to the process.

There may still be a full service option in the new smokehouse.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chuck norris said:

just because it stops being full service, doesn't mean you can't go in there and eat your meal sitting down. If it speeds up the process, I'm all for it. Honestly it's not like the servers were really adding much value to the process.

There may still be a full service option in the new smokehouse.

True, they may just shift full service to another location. I like being able to just sit and not have to stand in line so the full service is nice on occassion. Being able to sit out on the patio (which everyone forgets about) and watch Diamondback splash during the meal is nice too.

• Like 4

The waiters did add to it. A nice family dinner with someone bringing you your food and drinks. Refills!

And maybe the smoke house. But isn't that in the water park? So for full service with the bathing suit crowd? I don't think it will be there....

• Like 1