Meal Deals, and meal deals

Stoan

On 4/29/2017 at 8:02 PM, Gannersdaddy said:

Drink plan + Mystic Timbers = Nice

20170429_132931.jpg

Totally agree.  It is so nice to grab a drink to have in line and not have a big plastic cup to worry about.  Or, in the case of MT and Banshee, being able to have a drink in line period.  Well done KI!

• Like 3

Went to KI yesterday (4/29).  It was a pretty busy day (I usually only go on weekdays, avoiding crowds) and we had quite a few meals (family of 6 so we spread them out a bit).  We have 5 meal plans for 6 of us because my kids are so dang picky and all want something different!

Red's Grille - (11:30am) - Went in by myself as there was zero line.  Got a grilled chicken sandwich with chips (Fries are a $2 upgrade, really?).  Waited maybe 5 minutes for my food, not terrible.  Nobody ever came to check on me other than dropping off my food.  I chose not to tip since no service was provided.  It was a nice way to relax while my family was in line for Mystic Timbers.  Sandwich was pretty good (although no tomatoes.. thought the menu said tomatoes were included.  I could be wrong).  Bun was really hearty, I liked it.  Chips were thick and either overdone or underdone.  Very few were done just right.  (Meal options were Chicken Fingers, Cheeseburger, or Grilled Chicken Sandwich all with Saratoga Chips)

Rivertown LaRosa (12:30pm) - Got pizza for the kids.  It was pretty quick to get in and get out.  Pizza was pretty standard fair, not right out of the oven, but still OK.  Not much to say about this really.  (Meal options were 2 Pizza slices w/ 2 breadsticks, Antipasto salad, and Jojo salad.  No idea what the salads were made of, the screens are all washed out and images are so poor I couldn't make out details)

Subway (3:30pm) - Got subway for myself and for the wife.  Line was pretty long but we moved pretty quickly through it.  Surprised how limited their choices are but they had everything I like so it worked out.  No toasting of the subs, but other than that it's like any other Subway I've ever had. (Meal options were 6 inch sub and bag of chips)

Coney Mall Skyline (4:30pm) - New flow setup is WAY better than before.  Ordering is done via Touchscreen (like the Jukebox Diner), then paid at registers, then drink stations, then pickup, all in a line.  Huge improvement from before.  Our order was ready for pickup as we arrived at the pickup window.  Good job Skyline employees!  Only complaints was that we forgot to ask for ketchup and it took a while to get someones attention to get some.  (Meal options - I didn't happen to see this myself so I can't say).

Hope the info helps someone!  I get my value easily out of the meal plans, but I know for others they aren't ideal.  I wish the service was a little better, but for the value I get from them I can't really complain.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VortexJD said:

Subway (3:30pm) - Got subway for myself and for the wife.  Line was pretty long but we moved pretty quickly through it.  Surprised how limited their choices are but they had everything I like so it worked out.  No toasting of the subs, but other than that it's like any other Subway I've ever had. (Meal options were 6 inch sub and bag of chips)

When Soak City opens, the Subway there (near the train platform) has one or two additional hot subs and a toasting oven.

• Like 1

Happy to hear about the Skyline running smoother. That's the one that always blows my mind. Not taking anything away from Skyline cooks, that's one of the easiest places to make food.

Burgers and chicken you can't undercook, fried foods literally have a timer of how long so you can short that time (or shouldn't). But Skyline (minus the fries) is all cooked before being brought to the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fries at skyline look like they were made in oil used from last year :P  Haven't got a decent batch this year.  2nd weekend they were having trouble keeping up with the kiosks.  Put in order and it is number 98 and then hear them call around the corner order 41 is ready - that is a pretty large stockpile of placed and not filled orders for something that should be quick!

My biggest complaint is the hours. How hard is it to formally publish the hours that each dining location opens and close? Many locations don't open until 11... Many close one hour before the park closes... Sunday night we were in the intentional street la Rosa line at 8pm (which was out the door because that is one of the only options still open at closing time) and they just closed the doors and said that anyone who was in line was just out of luck. At least other places (cinnabun next door) put workers into the line and told people they could not enter the line after 8pm, but la Rosa just shut it down as is... Again it's even more frustrating when none of the operating hours are published, so it feels like places just open and close whether they want.

• Like 2

Were you in line prior to 8PM or arrived at the line at 8PM?

Prior, although in this case the question isn't relevant as there were no employees out there until they decided to shut the doors, so there is no way they could know who fit in line before 8 vs who got in line behind me after 8.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, chuck norris said:

Prior, although in this case the question isn't relevant as there were no employees out there until they decided to shut the doors, so there is no way they could know who fit in line before 8 vs who got in line behind me after 8.

Only relevant from a personal perspective because jumping in line after the park's stated closing time would be unfair to the park.   Others may disagree, but I think the park handled this very poorly and if it happened to me I would file a complaint.  

With the comments about altering the meal deal, I have learned to hate the new website. Sure it is pretty and probably mobile friendly, but it isn't easy to navigate, but nowhere on the page can I find a list of the meal options any more. The old version listed locations and their meal plan offerings, now it is just a list of locations. Meaning if they change things, you can't look it up, you have to either; A - Hope they print new pamphlets with the updated offerings or B - Go to the location, order what you want, realize the plan doesn't cover it any more and get irritated.

I can understand a few changes from a monetary point of view. Smaller drinks and smaller meals? Sure, I can understand that. I'd complain, but honestly I live 8 minutes away, I'm going to use my stupid plan at least 60 times this year, I'm getting my money's worth.

But badly organized workers is dumb, if you want to cut work force to save money, then cut it, but don't have 50% too many people in one place and 75% too few people in another. Move people to the register. Food prep is not the slow part in this equation, it is almost always the register.

Badly planned layouts? It appears they are working on it. The automated registers on Coney Mall Skyline is a nice step forward, not exactly clear on what to do or how to get it to do what you want, but a good idea. Chick-Fil-A's updated ordering queue is a huge improvement. I'll forgive this for now since this actually takes some engineering.

• Like 3

^ To illustrate your point on the website.  If you want to explore your food options at the park where would you look?  Let's try 'Explore', nope not there.   OK.  Where else could I find it?  'Play' ?  Certainly not, I want to eat not play and who had parents raising their kids to play with their food?  But that is where it is.  

• Like 2

I used to just have the link saved on my phone to quickly look up the dining plans as needed... Now this is the link

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/play/drinks-dining/auntie-annes

And then near the bottom you need to expand the "what meals can I get on the dining plan" section.

The new website is not better from as mobile standpoint, as I can't just link directly to info I want.

• Like 2

Well, chicken tenders at the Festhaus are exactly the same as they were last year. Unfortunately they also moved to fries instead of mini wedges.

It also turns out "Fresh Grilled Burger" was a bit of a fantasy in my experience. They still pull it out of a steamer pan, so they are luke warm at best. A choice of toppings make it a bit better, but still not hot enough to even put a glimmer of a thought of melt on the cheese, they also use this wildly offputting maple syrup bacon on the burger, so the whole experience is just a sad cold oddly sweet tasting bite. Then they finish with generic fries which at least were crispy even if unsalted, yay!

I experienced the new Coney Skyline Saturday. I really like the kiosks for ordering. I think these work best if you are a season pass holder with the food plan. Scan the pass and it shows what you can get. Pretty easy.

They need to do this with Subway and some of the others also. As long as they keep up with the food. I could even see them adding to the app to order and pick up.

The only gripe is someone still had to scan my pass to get a drink. That wasn't built into the system.

• Like 1

My wife and I are sharing 1 meal plan this year and this is our experience with what we've gotten so far (and what we think are good value if you're sharing):

- Chick Fil A - We got the nuggets and fries. 6 nuggets are very small, though tasty. Decent amount of waffle fries, but I would not suggest this meal for 2 people. Probably be better off splitting a sandwich since you'd get the bun to help fill you up.

- Tom + Chee - Got the bacon bbq sandwich with chips. Very good sandwich, but with small bag of chips, not super filling for 2, but very tasty.

- Larosas Pizza (Festhaus) - Slice of pizza and bread stick each is slightly filling. Can't go wrong, just need to grab the biggest slices if it's for 2 people.

- Potato Works (Rivertown) - Chicken Tenders and fries. The tenders are on the small side, though tasty (and bigger than Chick Fil A), but the winner is the fries. Got loads of them, so very filling. 

- Festhaus - Chicken Tender basket. Largest tenders so far that we've gotten (and tasty), and a decent amount of fries though they're of the generic (probably frozen) variety. Very filling meal, though.

So, at this point, based on what we've had, I think our best meal so far as been from the Rivertown Potato Works for taste and amount of food for 2 people to share. We plan on hitting every place at least once this season, so we'll see how that goes.

• Like 2

On my last visit at the Festhaus the chicken tenders I had were very dry. As Stoan stated, the change to the fries instead of wedges was not a good one. The new fries were not seasoned and pretty tasteless. If they were going to change to fries, instead of a cheaper option why not serve the same ones as chicken shack?

Carowinds seems to highlight their better food options at Harmony Hall. I would think KI would want to do the same thing in the Festhaus.

24 minutes ago, harveyhaddixfan said:

I experienced the new Coney Skyline Saturday. I really like the kiosks for ordering. I think these work best if you are a season pass holder with the food plan. Scan the pass and it shows what you can get. Pretty easy.

They need to do this with Subway and some of the others also. As long as they keep up with the food. I could even see them adding to the app to order and pick up.

The only gripe is someone still had to scan my pass to get a drink. That wasn't built into the system.

Its sekritly built in. It isn't clear at all, BUT when you are asked if you want to add a drink, just scan your cup (possibly pass for disposable)

Also I do like how they eliminated 1-2 employees from the ordering process, but kept the same amount in the back, so it still takes 10 minutes to actually get your food.

Yesterday when I went by Chicken Shack, they had both sides open! I wondered why the line wasn't longer when the park was as busy as it was, and that was why. 

The Freestyle machines in the Train Station were also open at least part of the day. 

So far, I've really been enjoying having the disposable cup drink plan. The park was quite busy but I rarely had much trouble finding a short line to grab a drink. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Magenta Lizard said:

Yesterday when I went by Chicken Shack, they had both sides open! I wondered why the line wasn't longer when the park was as busy as it was, and that was why. 

The Freestyle machines in the Train Station were also open at least part of the day. 

So far, I've really been enjoying having the disposable cup drink plan. The park was quite busy but I rarely had much trouble finding a short line to grab a drink. 

So glad to hear this!  This will be my drink stop this summer before getting in line for Diamondback, Beast, or MT!

They could really use this at Tom and Chee... Actually they just need to stop allowing custom orders (like no bbq or whatever) as it makes their menu longer and slows down the grill.

2 hours ago, LongLiveTheSmurfRide said:

My wife and I are sharing 1 meal plan this year and this is our experience with what we've gotten so far (and what we think are good value if you're sharing):

- Chick Fil A - We got the nuggets and fries. 6 nuggets are very small, though tasty. Decent amount of waffle fries, but I would not suggest this meal for 2 people. Probably be better off splitting a sandwich since you'd get the bun to help fill you up.

- Tom + Chee - Got the bacon bbq sandwich with chips. Very good sandwich, but with small bag of chips, not super filling for 2, but very tasty.

- Larosas Pizza (Festhaus) - Slice of pizza and bread stick each is slightly filling. Can't go wrong, just need to grab the biggest slices if it's for 2 people.

- Potato Works (Rivertown) - Chicken Tenders and fries. The tenders are on the small side, though tasty (and bigger than Chick Fil A), but the winner is the fries. Got loads of them, so very filling. 

- Festhaus - Chicken Tender basket. Largest tenders so far that we've gotten (and tasty), and a decent amount of fries though they're of the generic (probably frozen) variety. Very filling meal, though.

So, at this point, based on what we've had, I think our best meal so far as been from the Rivertown Potato Works for taste and amount of food for 2 people to share. We plan on hitting every place at least once this season, so we'll see how that goes.

Not picking on you, but it is posts like this why the food portions are smaller this year.  KI knows people do it, just don't advertise it for others to follow suit...believe it or not but a lot of people are stupid enough not to think about sharing a meal plan until they hear/read that someone else did that and they think "hey that's a good idea".  You would be amazed how many families of 4 have gone from 4 meal plans to 2 meal plans...and have subsequently added at least one back lol.  Everything is tracked for trending purposes.

Watch for smaller portions of fries coming to a Potato Works near you soon:P

• Like 5

^ Agree with disco2000, regardless of your eating habits, the intend of your post was clear "we are sharing a single meal plan, here's where we can get the most food to share" which isn't really in the spirit of an 'individual meal plan', which is how KI offers it (attached to your pass).

There's a reason meal plan portions are smaller this year, and bean counters have the data to prove it.  

• Like 3

Let's not make it seem like meal plan sharing is the only reason the cut portion sizes. Based on the other changes they are looking to increase profits on food across the board. The fry situation alone shows that.

To be fair, i only went to two plans this year because my daughter is old enough to eat actual food. I can split two ways, not three.

• Like 3

My sharing plan this year is different. A friend has a pass and the meal plan. That way when we go together we can share a meal, eat smaller portions and eat more often. Example: tenders at Chicken Shack. I eat one, she eats one, we each eat some fries and throw away 1 tender and a lot of fries.

I would be perfectly fine with even smaller meals for the meal plan if they were more frequent. Skyline: 1 coney and like 1/3 of the fries I got Saturday. CS: 1-2 tenders and small order of fries. Panda: 1 entree & small side. All of this provided I could eat 3 times, 2 hours apart.