Meal Deals, and meal deals

Stoan

5 hours ago, FoF96" said:

Speaking of food, when did Jukebox Diner change their burger recipe?  When I went two years ago I really enjoyed the burger.  On my last visit it was truly terrible with an almost unnatural texture and bad flavoring that I absolutely hated.  It upset me because that used to be a must eat but now I may have to find somewhere else for lunch.

I hope you reported your findings to Guest Services. We have to let them know if we want to see changes.

• Like 5

I've had that "texture burger" at Carowinds and Knott's, too. Each time I'm lured in by the grilling smell, only to regret my choice. It looks like raw hamburger texture formed into a patty. Does not have a good taste at all.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I hope you reported your findings to Guest Services. We have to let them know if we want to see changes.

I usually stop by GS for compliments and concerns and they have a form to fill out for a response. I've checked yes, I would like a response, a few times. Never a response from the park. CWinds, KD, KK and even SFOG have responded, but KI hasn't. Not that it would validate my existence, but when you would like a response to know that an employee's outstanding efforts have been recognized, it would be nice knowing it was.

Unfortunately did not stop by GS,  I had driven from Louisville to the park which meant leaving at 8am after having worked the previous night until 6am and decided to stay the entire day, needless to say when the park closed it took everything in me just to make it back home safe.

Chick-Fil-A ordering lay out is a massive improvement. They still do the "scream your name" thing though. Next best improvement will be adding a pick-up window like Skyline in Coney Mall. But at least for now it is much more organized. Also a plate of some sort would be helpful, but that is just because nobody else in my family wants hot sauce on everything (weirdos).

• Like 2

I have to give credit where credit is due! From Thursday through Sunday, each food service encounter was quick and efficient. And portion sizes don't appear smaller to me. At the Chicken Shack, I asked for a small amount of fries and still got way more than I can eat!

• Like 1

Got around to Panda Express finally. White rice was surprisingly well cooked, orange chicken continues to be way too sweet, Beijing Beef even cold when i ate it was very good. Pretty sure when i go back I'm going to double down on that, though maybe with the noodles instead. Was a good choice overall, good amount of food.

Are the meal plan options at Island Smokehouse seriously only tenders or shrimp? If so that is really annoying considering you can get tenders at so many locations. I was looking forward to a legitimate bbq option. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, APE said:

Are the meal plan options at Island Smokehouse seriously only tenders or shrimp? If so that is really annoying considering you can get tenders at so many locations. I was looking forward to a legitimate bbq option. 

Standard is Tenders and Shrimp only, both of which are kind of unique to the smokehouse. The tenders uses a different breading, and the shrimp really is unique, they do appear to be running specials for wings and pulled pork on occasion as well, which add them to the meal plan for a limited time.

If they can't have premium meats as a normal meal plan option, I'd really like to see it as an upcharge option. I'd gladly pay $5 or so, but spending the full ~$12+tax on every visit when I've already paid for a meal plan would be harder to justify.

• Like 1

Read your review of the pulled pork.   I have been smoking pork butts at home for about 10 years now and there are a couple of reasons these may not meet your expectations on smoke flavor.

First, I saw on Chef Nathan's twitter he posted a big pile of hickory logs.  Hickory is a great flavor but I would put it more in the medium category of woods.   Mesquite or a mesquite/apple mix is my personal preference but mesquite is produces a much stronger flavor and many people don't like it and some claim it produces a bitter flavor.  

Second, although they claim 12 hour smoke what they mean is cooked for 12 hours not applying smoke for that long.  As the temperature of the meat rises the amount of smoke flavor it is able to absorb decreases.   Most Smokers stop applying smoke at around the 4 hour mark with pork butts as it is generally considered a waste after that.  Those Sothern Pride smokers they have use natural or LP gas as the heat source for the oven and secondarily slowly burning the logs to produce the smoke.  They likely load it up in the evening and don't have someone babysitting the thing all night adding logs every couple of hours.  Many that use all wood fired smokers will wrap the meat in foil after 4 or so hours as the continued smoking process tends to add a "ashy" taste especially if the wood is allowed to burn past the charcoal phase.  

Some other factors include the type and quantity of spice rub used and if butts are injected at all.   I personally like a heavy rub to produce a thick flavorful bark but my boys object so I have generally don't do that anymore.  I suspect they are going for that middle ground as well.  

I generally smoke at 220-225 and it takes 18-24 hours for my butts to hit about 193F.  The convection fan those smokers have will cut the cooking time down and they also probably cook them at a higher temperature. My guess is 275 or so.  Nothing wrong with that though as Myron Mixon cooks his at a higher temperature and has the moniker "winningest man in BBQ"  

I also noticed a table full of Sweet Baby Rays gallon jugs on the table next to the smoker in the video they posted.  

Another thing I thought of is I wouldn't be surprised if on busier days they don't run out at some point in the afternoon as they can't just whip some as quickly as the chicken strips or wings.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, King Ding Dong said:

Read your review of the pulled pork.   I have been smoking pork butts at home for about 10 years now and there are a couple of reasons these may not meet your expectations on smoke flavor.

First, I saw on Chef Nathan's twitter he posted a big pile of hickory logs.  Hickory is a great flavor but I would put it more in the medium category of woods.   Mesquite or a mesquite/apple mix is my personal preference but mesquite is produces a much stronger flavor and many people don't like it and some claim it produces a bitter flavor.  

Second, although they claim 12 hour smoke what they mean is cooked for 12 hours not applying smoked for that long.  As the temperature of the meat rises the amount of smoke flavor it is able to absorb decreases.   Most Smokers stop applying smoke at around the 4 hour mark with pork butts as it is generally considered a waste after that.  Those Sothern Pride smokers they have use natural or LP gas as the heat source for the oven and secondarily slowly burning the logs to produce the smoke.  They likely load it up in the evening and don't have someone babysitting the thing all night adding logs every couple of hours.  Many that use all wood fired smokers will wrap the meat in foil after 4 or so hours as the continued smoking process tends to add a "ashy" taste especially if the wood is allowed to burn past the charcoal phase.  

Some other factors include the type and quantity of spice rub used and if butts are injected at all.   I personally like a heavy rub to produce a thick flavorful bark but my boys object so I have generally don't do that anymore.  I suspect they are going for that middle ground as well.  

I generally smoke at 220-225 and it takes 18-24 hours for my butts to hit about 193F.  The convection fan those smokers have will cut the cooking time down and they also probably cook them at a higher temperature. My guess is 275 or so.  Nothing wrong with that though as Myron Mixon cooks his at a higher temperature and has the moniker "winningest man in BBQ"  

I also noticed a table full of Sweet Baby Rays gallon jugs on the table next to the smoker in the video they posted.  

Another thing I thought of is I wouldn't be surprised if on busier days they don't run out at some point in the afternoon as they can't just whip some as quickly as the chicken strips or wings.  

I figured it was a premade sauce, though I assumed Heinz since they appear to be taking over the rest of the park. That is understandable on the smoking, while I don't smoke personally I still think keeping a lid on it will help immensely, it dries out fast sitting out and the moisture is what would carry the smoke smell and flavor through the mouth and nose. \

Thanks for the lesson though it was very informative.

• Like 2

Agreed covered would be much better.  One reason I personally don't "pull" PB as finely as most do.  I do it just enough to mix the fat and bark up some but leaving more chunky helps retain the moisture.   Not a fan when people essentially turn it to mush and use an ice cream scoop to service it like a sloppy joe.   

Anone know how they sauce it at Carowinds?  NC and SC traditionally prefer very different sauces with one being more mustard than tomato based, just can't remember which.  

My wife an I have moved to "Vaunted Vinager" sauce which is apple cider vinager and red pepper flakes simmered with some brown sugar or sweetener in our case. We dunk the meat chunks and never make a sandwich with PB.    Of course the boys won't touch the stuff and prefer Sweet Baby Rays Honey BBQ sauce.  

Excited to give the Smokehouse a try. Like King Dong, I'm an at home smoker and love making my own pulled pork and ribs. I hate it when places serve it already slathered in sauce as that tells me the meat can't stand on its own so I hope they keep it separate.

They do keep the sauce separate.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Sitting at the Smokehouse now. Had the pulled pork and corn pudding. Verdict: Awesome. :) Probably going to come back over to Soak City to try one of the other entrees for dinner.

Interestingly, the employees serving the food 1) all had yellow nametags (15-year-olds) and 2) were all very nice, polite, and efficient. I wonder if that's a coincidence or if there's a correlation between those two facts.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jcgoble3 said:

Sitting at the Smokehouse now. Had the pulled pork and corn pudding. Verdict: Awesome. :) Probably going to come back over to Soak City to try one of the other entrees for dinner.

Interestingly, the employees serving the food 1) all had yellow nametags (15-year-olds) and 2) were all very nice, polite, and efficient. I wonder if that's a coincidence or if there's a correlation between those two facts.

I hope this means we will see this type of offering on the dry side for next year!

• Like 1

^ They really should, it would go a long way to rounding out the choices.   At a minimum a "Smokehouse Express" (KI likes that word) fed from SC.  Pork Butt is one of the few meats that keep very well sealed in a Cambro and is actually juicier 2 hours after it is finished cooking.   

• Like 1