Meal Deals, and meal deals

Stoan

I'm in the same boat really for frequency. I live very close to the park, I've more than once gone and got dinner and left. Even at 95 bucks a year, with 50-60 meals, i could getting just a 3 way and it would still be cheaper than even making it at home.

53 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

How do you keep track of it Chris?  App, spreadsheet, notes?  I will have 3 so thinking of using Numbers on the iPhone.  

I have a spreadsheet I plug everything into. While in park, I type the info into my phone "notes" and then translate it to the spreadsheet when I get home.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, chugh43 said:

@pianoman the Panda listing makes me sad. I loved my 2 entrees. :( lol

I'm glad they have finally updated this. 

Has anyone had the BBQ Bacon Grilled Cheese from Tom + Chee? I tried the basic grilled cheese last year and it was just eh. I need more flavor haha.

I had the bbq bacon last year, it was tasty but a little too sweet for me, since im now diabetic. Its good quality but on the smaller side. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chugh43 said:

Personally, I have enough food for me when getting a meal with my dining plan. I'd rather pay for it all up front than $15 here and there, especially with the amount of times I visit a park. 

I don't follow the other CF parks food department enough to know the changes between years (aside from CP)...but it's still worth it to me.

I agree, i would much rather pay upfront and not have to worry about if i have enough money to eat at the park. For me, i get paid once a month, so usually 3 weeks out of the month im broke, so not having to worry about paying is a plus for me. Most of the time last year i didnt spend a penny while there. The only thing i have to come up w is gas, which it takes just about a half tank roundtrip. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2018 at 12:50 PM, stashua123 said:

I have a fully decked out Platinum Pass for this season. Despite being an associate, I go to the park so often that a Dining Plan, FunPix and Drink Plan really work out for me. :)

It is my first year for a dining plan, it is going to be interesting. Really hoping the initial quirks in past years have been smoothed over.

I guess it is kind of funny that I am following the advice of most sales people for companies. Purchase and use the product you sell to guests (customers). :)

I will definitely use all of these a lot however, I visited the park over 64 times last year.... so. :D

Drink Plan is one of the most undervalued products at KI. So convenient! $32.09 after tax for free drinks all season. Its nice! :)  

We do the same thing, this will be our first year with Funpix, im still a bit confused on that one. We didnt get our passes last year til Jul so we didnt get as much use out of them like we will this year. We will be there Fri and Sat and we also got our tickets for preview night at CP, we are on our way this year. One thing w the drink plan last year, we each had one all season drink until labor day weekend, then for some reason my husband had 5 and i had 3, a bit bizarre but we never worried about the 15 min window. We loved the paper cups last year. 

On 4/11/2018 at 3:51 PM, King Ding Dong said:

My wife is celiac but I am not. But I have weight and blood sugar issues and if I want to control them without meds I need to eat low carb (like 20g/day) and if I want to lose weight need to lower the fat content down, that only leaves lean protein and some vegetables.  Corn and bread is out and while cabbage is ok, generally slaw dressing has sugar and/or fat.  Sugar is what I really must stay away from and just vary my fats level depending on how how strict I want to be.    

I feel for you, i was diagnosed w diabetes last Oct. I do take oral meds but my nmbrs have dropped dramatically. I lost weight initially but now im losing inches and am getting toned, we started going to a gym in Jan, hoping it would help w walking, etc, i have a bad hip from an auto accident, last year i had to sit and rest a lot, this year im hoping i wont. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Don't forget that Cedar Point had several options that were upcharges on top of the meal plan.  Not just Midway Market, but things like Chic-Fil-A.  My understanding is that that experiment failed.

I would IMPLORE all of you to never participate in something like this.  DO NOT let the meal plan devolve into a discount plan.  Even if the deal is a great deal, it could be seen as a foot in the door.  Remember: their primary objective isn't to give you the best deal, it's to make as much money off of you per visit.  

Remember how the original meal plan in 2014 had a 2 hour window?  They expanded it to 4 with the hopes that it would cut out some peoples' second meals and save the company some money.  Same goes for the shedded offerings.  Remember getting a side of chips at Hanks?  What happened to that?  This year you get less than last year but the price remains the same.  Also, some food options have changed strangely.  Remember when you could get a Skyline 3 Way and a cheese coney?  Now it's a 3 Way and fries.  Have you ever ordered a 3 Way and fries willingly before?  Neither have I.  Why did they do this?  The food cost is lower on fries than a coney.  

Again, every year you get a little less.  When you pay up front it hands the power over to the company, however it is the consumer that either hands over the green or not.

And this is exactly why I stopped buying the dining plan. Wake up, sheeple.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jcgoble3 said:

And this is exactly why I stopped buying the dining plan. Wake up, sheeple.

To be clear, I’m not saying not to buy the dining plan. I’ve already purchased mine. However I’m saying that you need to be conscious of what message you are giving the park. That was why when I ran KIC I didn’t emphasize the upcharge picnic during Haunt. I didn’t want that to go over really well and send the message to them that the GP would be willing to pay “a little more” to get something different. 

Well, the message that *I* am sending the park is that the amount of money they get from me in food service is directly proportional to how much they give a **** about their customers. And that includes all the things you mentioned plus quality of service. I'm tired of the park trying to lock me in to this dining plan when I can leave the park, drive to a nearby restaurant, get better quality food at lower prices with better service, and drive back to the park, and often lose less time out of my day that way than I would have waiting in the ridiculously long lines inside the park. No thanks. Do they think I'm stupid?

• Like 1

I've found that later in the season (June), they are more willing to accommodate special requests:  At the Chicken Shack, I have asked for no fries and a piece of bread instead and they do that.  Last year I asked for a coney instead of fries at IS SL and they had no problem with that.  The year before, I did the opposite (when fries were not on the menu for the meal plan.)  My niece wanted fries.  They did it then too.

I am ok with portion sizes being smaller on most meals because I usually end of tossing food when it is just me there with no niece or other family.

• Like 1

Well, the message that *I* am sending the park is that the amount of money they get from me in food service is directly proportional to how much they give a **** about their customers. And that includes all the things you mentioned plus quality of service. I'm tired of the park trying to lock me in to this dining plan when I can leave the park, drive to a nearby restaurant, get better quality food at lower prices with better service, and drive back to the park, and often lose less time out of my day that way than I would have waiting in the ridiculously long lines inside the park. No thanks. Do they think I'm stupid?
Here's the thing. I was in the same boat as you in say 2016. That I would never get a dining plan due to long lines and bad service.

My perspective changed working at ki. I have seen some food associates who do not care about their jobs at all. Some who actually do and continue to do so and strive to be the best. But most importantly I've seen some go from completely caring to being worn down not caring associates due to so many negative experiences on the job.

There's a reason why food can be understaffed. It's hard to find people. And those who are willing to jump the cliff to join are often greeted with long hours long lines, rude guests and little to no positive feedback.

Remember. Next time you visit. While that doesn't excuse bad service, to put yourself in their shoes.
  • Like 5

58 minutes ago, jtro223 said:

I've found that later in the season (June), they are more willing to accommodate special requests:  At the Chicken Shack, I have asked for no fries and a piece of bread instead and they do that.  Last year I asked for a coney instead of fries at IS SL and they had no problem with that.  The year before, I did the opposite (when fries were not on the menu for the meal plan.)  My niece wanted fries.  They did it then too.

I am ok with portion sizes being smaller on most meals because I usually end of tossing food when it is just me there with no niece or other family.

My daughter likes cheese, a lot. One of the many times i went to skyline i ordered my 3-way and fries (so i can throw the away). Get up to the girl making said 3-way and i just mention "could you give me just a monstrous amount of cheese?" She smiles and proceeds to entirely fill the plate with a mountain of cheese. By layer depth it was somewhere around 30% spaghetti, 3% chili, 67% cheese.

It actually ruined the dish as a whole, but it was hilarious, and my daughter got all the cheese she wanted.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stoan said:

My daughter likes cheese, a lot. One of the many times i went to skyline i ordered my 3-way and fries (so i can throw the away). Get up to the girl making said 3-way and i just mention "could you give me just a monstrous amount of cheese?" She smiles and proceeds to entirely fill the plate with a mountain of cheese. By layer depth it was somewhere around 30% spaghetti, 3% chili, 67% cheese.

It actually ruined the dish as a whole, but it was hilarious, and my daughter got all the cheese she wanted.

Sounds like more than what we put on ways for the Skyway promotion. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, stashua123 said:

There's a reason why food can be understaffed. It's hard to find people. And those who are willing to jump the cliff to join are often greeted with long hours long lines, rude guests and little to no positive feedback.

Remember. Next time you visit. While that doesn't excuse bad service, to put yourself in their shoes.

Should cross post this in the bucket list thread as welI.  I was thinking about this the other day and decided to make it my goal this season to identify at least one exceptional or at least positive employee experience each visit and take a few minutes to send a quick email to GS.   Particularly focusing on food services.  

• Like 4

15 hours ago, chugh43 said:

I do keep track of what I get, where I get it from and how much it says on the board.  Last year, my meal plan expenses were $474.53. I consumed 41 meals which averages out to about $11.57 a meal. I believe I paid about $129.00 for the meal plan last year, which means I truly saved $345.53 

I'll be interested to see what it ends up being this year as well. 

Right but what I would be more interested in seeing what the park pays for the food.

9 hours ago, harmony29 said:

We do the same thing, this will be our first year with Funpix, im still a bit confused on that one. We didnt get our passes last year til Jul so we didnt get as much use out of them like we will this year. We will be there Fri and Sat and we also got our tickets for preview night at CP, we are on our way this year. One thing w the drink plan last year, we each had one all season drink until labor day weekend, then for some reason my husband had 5 and i had 3, a bit bizarre but we never worried about the 15 min window. We loved the paper cups last year. 

Just some quick notes on Funpix.  My bought my grandson a platinum pass last year (he will be 7 this summer and we go to Cedar Point 1-2 times a year with him).  When I put the funpix on his card last year (renewed it for this season) they asked if I wanted to add it to another card (seem's your allowed 2).  I put it on his pass (which his mother keeps, I have him digitally on my KI app) and on mine.  I find I use my physical pass on the self-serve kiosks on the ride photos, easier access. 

Anyway, when you go to CP this year go STRAIGHT to the funpix location where you get your pictures at the front of the park and make sure they see the funpix on your card.  Mine didn't transfer and they asked for my receipt (2 months after I paid for it and the receipt was at home).   Anyway after seeing the 25+ funpix pictures on my account they were convinced I had purchased it and added it to the card.  So I would take your receipt showing you purchased funpix when you go up to the point, it will save you heartache later in the day.  I find the funpix is the best value (I have 3 grandkids total) and had over 169 photos last year between KI and CP. 

My wife and I went to Knotts this year and already have 5 for this season, we did have the same problem but with the added issue that they had to give me a new platinum pass, everything transfered over just fine, the big problem was I had an "old style" platinum pass (the ones that have Kings Island on the front in big letters) and I am unable to transfer the Knotts pass back to my old Platinum.  Everyone always made a comment about my "old school" pass.  I asked them this week to transfer everything back, but the couldn't so I just asked for a replacement card so it at least says Kings Island on the back.

Any way, don't forget Funpix lasts thorught Winterfest (the had a nice snow effect last year they gave you a copy of on the app).  It's strange that I used to avoid the people taking my picture when I would go in due to not wanting to pay each time (I would claim "witness protection program" :)).  But now since I have Funpix, I hunt them down each time I go :)

Enjoy Funpix and your season!

• Like 3

@robintodd  You make some good points about potential problems.   I always try and bring the paper receipt the first time I go for the season, just in case.  No software is perfect and that is certainly true with the CF systems.  

Also keep in mind officially the photos are supposed to only stay on your account for 30 days after the end of the season.   Although my 2016 photos are still on there.  Just be safe and download the zip file every once and while.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, stashua123 said:

Here's the thing. I was in the same boat as you in say 2016. That I would never get a dining plan due to long lines and bad service.

My perspective changed working at ki. I have seen some food associates who do not care about their jobs at all. Some who actually do and continue to do so and strive to be the best. But most importantly I've seen some go from completely caring to being worn down not caring associates due to so many negative experiences on the job.

And I completely understand that it's usually not the front-line associates' fault. Rather, I have said time and time again on KIC that the problems with food service are management's fault. Management in food service has created an environment for their subordinates where the associates cannot enjoy their job, and when a person cannot enjoy their job, you get issues like what you mentioned. You touched on this in this response: "long hours" and "long lines". Both of those are management's fault.

If they can create an environment where associates feel valued and are able to enjoy their jobs, then service will improve, then the reputation of food service will improve, then it will be easier to find people willing to work in food service, then understaffing will be less of an issue, then lines will be shorter, then there will be fewer rude guests, then the associates will enjoy their job even more, then the reputation of food service will improve even more, then it will be even easier to find people willing to work in food service, and so on. It's a cycle that has to start with management.

Or management can continue to do what they're doing and work their few associates to the point that they can't enjoy their jobs. In that case, service will continue to be poor, so the reputation will continue to be poor, so it will continue to be difficult to find people willing to work in food service, so understaffing will continue to be an issue, so lines will continue to be long, so guests will continue to be frustrated, so associates will be even more unable to enjoy their jobs, so the reputation of food service will continue to go down, so it will be even more difficult to find people to work in food service, and so on. Either way, management creates the cycle.

• Like 2

It’s reckless to take broad swipes at management.

However, it is a testament to the system that the turnover has been what it has been - especially in management. Certainly if there was a country club atmosphere then they’d want to stay. Maybe they did care, they wanted to make things better, they wanted to affect change... they just were not given the support to do so.

Pure speculation.

• Like 1

Not the conversation for here but, why would park management bashing be against the TOS?

On topic however...

Most restaurants have a mark-up of around 300%, being an amusement park they probably mark-up again 300%. A bottle of Coke at KI is what 5-6 bucks? A bottle of Coke at Kroger is around 1.50 - 2 bucks.

Price of the meal to the customer is around 14 dollars, it wouldn't be out of the realm that they paid around 2 dollars. That includes estimated staffing costs, food, and materials included with the food such as baskets forks and such. As other people have pointed out, while what they pay would be an interesting note, it isn't a useful metric to calculate your value off of it.

Most people say "it is cheaper to leave the park and get food", and I would agree, until you start getting 20+ uses of the meal plan. At that rate you start pushing the overall price of meals to around 4.75 each (95 bucks / 20 meals). Unless you only nibble on food, even Taco Bell's dollar menu would be hard to get the same volume of food for a similar cost. As for service at least, if anyone has tried that Taco Bell near the park, they would give "employees that don't care" at Kings Island a run for their money.

Which leads me back to my older statement. If 60 chickens gives 120 portions of chicken at Coney BBQ, that is a hell of a deal. I mean it is in no way a big steal, I could get a full rotisserie chicken from Sam's/Costco for 6 bucks. In terms of what else KI offers for their meals, that would quickly become one of the best valued meals in the park (assuming you like chicken).

• Like 1

Just now, Tera Ryzing said:

Is there a link to food options with all season dining?

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/tickets-passes/drinks-dining

Scroll to the bottom with the blue FAQs. There is one for "What Meals are available with the Dining Plan?". The list I put out earlier (previous page) was ripped straight out of that section..