Meal Deals, and meal deals

Stoan

I have also updated the front page of this thread with the list, and hopefully will start getting reviews on there tomorrow. Let me know how tonight goes, I am not even going to bother trying tonight with how crowded last year was.

I do not have a dining plan.  I'm *trying* to eat healthier, and it's fairly rare I get to spend the entire day in the park open to close, or a long enough time that would make me have to eat there more than periodically.

However, I was thinking about getting a day dining plan for tomorrow.  Thoughts?

May as well get the full year.  I was on the fence but as long as you eat in moderation you will be good.  It's not like your going to stop cold Turkey and eat 100% clean all season.  Couple slices of pizza, a sub, burrito bowl, bbq here and there won't derail you.

Get something when you at least head home.

4 minutes ago, whengodsaysgo said:

I do not have a dining plan.  I'm *trying* to eat healthier, and it's fairly rare I get to spend the entire day in the park open to close, or a long enough time that would make me have to eat there more than periodically.

However, I was thinking about getting a day dining plan for tomorrow.  Thoughts?

If you get the day dining deal where you can eat every 90 minutes, it's really only worth it if you get 3 meals or more since it's $30. However, expect to spend a lot of time waiting in lines. I opted for the dining plan this year for all four of us because the daily deals meant I spent a good portion of my day standing in food lines. I'd rather everyone just go get their own crap. lol  For the daily plan, they give you a wrist band so it's not like you can transfer it to someone else if they want to use it. Whoever straps it on first is stuck being in line. 

I definitely would not get the day plan this early in the season. Waiting in line an hour or more each time you get a meal may not be unusual. You aren't going to want to do that more than twice in a day, most likely. 

I ended up getting so many meals last year that my per-meal cost was around $1 so there is no doubt it was monetarily worth the purchase to me. However, if I keep gaining weight this summer even with as much exercise as I get, I think I may have to forego the plan next year. :-/

1 hour ago, whengodsaysgo said:

I would say to get the full year dining plan.  If you are going to eat over 9 meals in the park this year you will be over break even after 9 and then it will start paying for itself.

Rotisserie chicken is really nothing new - many years ago the park had rotisserie chicken roasters on the outside wall of the now Reds restaurant in Rivertown (facing what is now the Diamondback queue).  Guess the old park rotisserie chicken concept is new again?  It would be nice if guest feedback was valued for the meal plan options.   For example, the mac and cheese bar at KI Winterfest was a huge success (and wish that would have stayed instead of bringing back the horrible burritos at Hanks), but where is that mac and cheese bar at KI based upon guest feedback?   Kings Dominion copied the concept and created The Mac Bowl which has been a huge hit this early in the season (and it is on the meal plan).   With more emphasis these days on healthier options, why did KI remove Salads from the Festhaus meal plan (thereby decreasing healthier options)?   Carowinds added a build your own Salad option as well as other salad options (all of which are on the meal plan) at Harmony Hall which again have been very popular with guests so early in the season. 

So did anyone use the dining plan at Coney bbq? And if so how was it? 

Yesterday was to ridiculous,  and only ate at Planet Snoopy since I had my little girl, then today got rained out at 10 so grabbed her so more Planet Snoopy and my wife and I grabbed some larosas on the way out... next weekend we are going solo to ride the big rides...

Today I did run up to the fast pass to make sure it was simple to snatch a Fast Lane bracelet with the season pass and it was.  My daughter measured at 48 inches today and we didn't think she would, so now have to come up with another 500 for her the fast pass :///

• Like 1

Just now, LuvingKI said:

So did anyone use the dining plan at Coney bbq? And if so how was it? 

Yesterday was to ridiculous,  and only ate at Planet Snoopy since I had my little girl, then today got rained out at 10 so grabbed her so more Planet Snoopy and my wife and I grabbed some larosas on the way out... next weekend we are going solo to ride the big rides...

Today I did run up to the fast pass to make sure it was simple to snatch a Fast Lane bracelet with the season pass and it was.  My daughter measured at 48 inches today and we didn't think she would, so now have to come up with another 500 for her the fast pass :///

My wife and I used our dining plan for lunch at BBQ.  We got a half chicken with hush puppies and a pork sandwich with Mac n cheese.  The portions were great and the flavor was out of this world!!

9F72F864-5EF2-4011-B2B0-10BE125E8F97.jpeg

3 minutes ago, chad_1138 said:

My wife and I used our dining plan for lunch at BBQ.  We got a half chicken with hush puppies and a pork sandwich with Mac n cheese.  The portions were great and the flavor was out of this world!!

9F72F864-5EF2-4011-B2B0-10BE125E8F97.jpeg

That's awesome!  Both them plates look good and filling, its definitely a good feeling walking up and getting drinks and meals and not having to spend no $

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chuck norris said:

The pulled pork and chicken are correctly portioned. The ribs and smokerd sausage were tasty, but they looked a little sad on the plate.31ed9b6ce482b0bc38e5d1be563f0ae0.jpg2ec1ea39e109f6b97cb9cb36a9c8c3b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They should at least use a smaller plate so it looks more bigger.. I was really looking forward to smoked sausage, I may have to get that when I'm slightly hungry

19 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Is that seriously a photo of 2 ribs?  Lol.   That’s a snack not a meal.   And what is the posted menu price for that?   I can’t wait.  hahahahahahahhahahaha!

Yep with some thick bones it looks like...

• Haha 1

Is that seriously a photo of 2 ribs?  Lol.   That’s a snack not a meal.   And what is the posted menu price for that?   I can’t wait.  hahahahahahahhahahaha!

Yep, 2 ribs.
Tasty, but definitely a snack.
And while I'd actually be ok with a meal plan that included some snack options, they should call it out as such... And if they go that route they need to add actual snacks... Like graters ice cream, cinnabon, Annie pretzels, etc

Any "one" meat and side is $13.99 (i think).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

After my Grandfather would finish his plate he would let Grandma know, “I will have my other half now Millie.”  

I have posted several times on here, probably in this very thread, I was skeptical KI could serve ribs.   The cost per pound of actual meat is just to far out of line with everything else they serve to come in at a reasonable price point.  I see the solution is to serve half a meal.  

Checked out Coney and Reds Hall of Fame.

Coney had the ribs. I agree about the ribs,  they are very good, but not a meal. Can't really say much that, ribs are pricey, but a third bone would be greatly appreciated. Crust is fantastic, even as late as i went they were juicy, they were quite delicious. Side was corn, which being out of season comes back to price, a third of a ear is comical. Again, i went really late so it wasn't even warm but it was still good, I've always been a fan of grilled corn.

Reds Hall of Fame... I AM DEVASTATED. Firstly i got the Red Leg Burger, which is just a bacon burger. The bacon looked and tasted funny. I'm pretty sure it's microwaved bacon, as it didn't have anything to indicate it was actually near a grill. No changes in texture, perfectly flat and unnaturally colored. The burger however was really good, hot, some what juicy, very flavorful. It also includes "onion straws", which ended up being more onion rings, they are substantial and kind of gross looking, i took them off.  Overall i enjoyed it quite a bit. My problem however isn't with the burger, they have shortened the entire menu, which led to cutting the only place in the park that actually had hot wings, which then also leads to cutting wing sauce. More than half the reason i liked to go to RHoF was for their spicy garlic and actually hot wing sauce, now they have Frank's Buffalo sauce, and nothing else. They will be sorely missed.

*Side note, I'm going to borrow all the pictures you guys have of the meals and attach them to the front post with credits. I'd like people to see the size of the good you get as well as a review. If anyone doesn't want me to use their picture, let me know.

IMG_20180414_195034.jpg

• Like 3

^^ My favorite thing I've ever had at the park was a few years ago during Haunt they had an all you can eat wing buffet at Reds. I specifically remember the spicy garlic and garlic parm being amazing. Plus they had fried pickles and caesar salad. I wish they would bring that back sooo bad!

EDIT: And/or the buffet from Winterfest at the International Street Restaurant

Walking around the park over the weekend without having the meal plan for the first time in years was wonderful. I would see everyone wasting time in long lines for food and trying to hit food first thing so they could get a second meal in. On Friday as we walked in the park I couldn't help but laugh at everyone already lining up first thing for their meal. I am there to ride and it made me realize I spent too much time in previous years worrying about meals and the lines. 

Also because the quality was so bad last year and I am now finally on track eating right ( 30 pounds lost since the end of Jan.) I couldn't help but realize just how unhealthy everything was. I was walking all day but not nearly enough to work off one of the meals. 

For everyone that has the meal plan I hope the quality is much better for you this year. 

• Like 2

I'm hoping that Cedar Fair has changed meat patty supplier.  Or at least product.  The last three years, the patty, even after cooking, had the appearance of a raw chub of meat, with the extruded texture.  The taste, in my experience was not good at all.  This was noticed at KI, CP, KD and Knotts.