Meal Deals, and meal deals

Stoan

I love new coney bbq, I was at CP the last 2 days and they have a BBQ place that's amazing, they have something I really wish KI would offer as a side, fresh fruit and tossed salad. I had fruit with every meal and loved it.

So last night we got there late and not a whole lot open so we went to LaRosas at the back. I got a salad, hubby pizza, we both wanted bread sticks but when I got to the cashier she argued that entree salads do not come with them, I knew they did as I've gotten it numerous times. Only reason it was even an issue was our friend was with us and we were sharing our meals. I thought maybe they changed it this year but one the way home I looked it up. So next time do I hold the line up and pull it up on my phone? I wouldn't take no and she finally let me thru but she was not very nice about it.

I'll tell you what, Coney BBQ is pretty sweet but KI needs a place that offers pasta. Good old spaghetti and meatballs or lasagna would be nice. With Garlic bread on the side.

I grew up with an Italian grandfather so pasta is practically in my blood.

• Like 3

I was there Wednesday with the all-day dining plan and sampled many of the park's offerings. My wife and I shared the one plan and split every meal, which was more than enough food for the two of us. 

The first place we ate was Juke Box. We had the bacon double cheeseburger with fries. This was one of the best meals we had all day. It was early and so everything was very fresh. The burger was substantial and the fries were very good.

We had La Rosa's, and that was ok. The pizza is better at Sam's Club but it wasn't too bad. We'd never had it before, in or out of the park. 

Skyline was delicious. At least the 3-way was. The fries were too salty and had been sitting out for awhile. Unfortunately they did not let us sub a cheese coney for the fries.

Panda Express was ok. It was very fresh but still had decent flavor. They were the only place that insisted we could only get a small cup on the drink plan (wristband) instead of the 20 oz cups everybody else was giving us at restaurants and drink stands.

It was definitely noteable the amount of restaurants, food stands and drink stands that were closed. I understand it due to low attendance, but it is frustrating when you want a drink and either have to stand in food lines or walk a longer distance to find something that's open. 

Reds and Hank's were both closed all day. I wasn't planning on eating at either anyway, but I found that interesting. 

Overall, over 6 total meals split between my wife on the all-day plan, we calculated a cost of $2.50 per person per meal. For that value, it was great!

1 hour ago, brendan71388 said:

I should add, Chick Fil A was the only place we could find after 7 that hadn't closed (with 8 PM closing). We weren't really hungry but wanted to get one more meal in since it was paid for. Thank you CFA for staying open!

Generally speaking, most food places in the park operate from one hour after park opening to one hour before park closing. The exception is food places on International Street, which usually stay open until park closing (and sometimes open earlier as well).

That's good to know. I didn't see any info like that posted anywhere. 

I'd assume it's not posted because it's really inconsistent. Generally places on international street stay open until closing, but even they will close their doors early if there is a line... So that they're actually done by park closing.

Likewise, on slower days, some locations won't be open at all.. I'm looking at you Hank's burrito shack.

I realize it would be unreasonable for the dining places to have live wait times in the app like the rides... But it does seem like Kings Island could pretty easily use the app to mark which locations were open and which we're currently closed... So if one closed early (most locations), or opened late (panda express) they would show as closed in the app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

So I noticed a few things at the KI Skylines that aren't quite up to par with the outside restaurants-

- the buns aren't steamed enough

- they put onions on before chili, should be the other way around to avoid having onions fall into the chili

- they don't use coney racks

- they put too much cheese on coneys and not enough on ways

- they don't fill the way containers with spaghetti

- they open up the buns too much

On 5/20/2018 at 9:33 AM, silver2005 said:

So I noticed a few things at the KI Skylines that aren't quite up to par with the outside restaurants-

- the buns aren't steamed enough

- they put onions on before chili, should be the other way around to avoid having onions fall into the chili

- they don't use coney racks

- they put too much cheese on coneys and not enough on ways

- they don't fill the way containers with spaghetti

- they open up the buns too much

Don’t you work for Skyline?

Maybe you could contact the right people and help them out a bit with training or something.

I’m being serious.

• Like 3

On my 15th visit to the park this year, which was last night, we finally got to eat at RHOFG. It has not been open for the greatest majority of our visits but last night was the night and....
It was great, line moved fast, food served quickly and it was great. We had the Redlegs burger and chips.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, chad_1138 said:

So, anyone know the deal with Subway always being closed?

Staffing? We're just starting to come out of the school year, so until now the park hasn't had enough staff to open everything since they rely largely on high school students. Rides are the #1 priority when understaffed, and after that, they have to pick and choose which food places and shops to open. It seems to me that national chains* like that would naturally be a lower priority than the park's own "brands", particularly the new shiny one directly across the midway.

*excluding Panda Express and Chick-fil-A, which last I checked were staffed and operated by their respective companies instead of by the park

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

We went to the Reds hall of fame grill and got buffalo chicken salads over the weekend.  Had to wait about 25 minutes for the food to come out but the food was pretty good!  

Just curious if you noticed they were using iceberg lettuce instead of romaine? I know a lot of people could care less but our salads Friday were iceberg, my gripe is not letting people know before ordering.

9 hours ago, harmony29 said:

Just curious if you noticed they were using iceberg lettuce instead of romaine? I know a lot of people could care less but our salads Friday were iceberg, my gripe is not letting people know before ordering.

There is a major recall on romaine lettuce, which is probably why iceberg was used instead.

Information on the FDA website: https://www.fda.gov/Food/RecallsOutbreaksEmergencies/Outbreaks/ucm604254.htm

6 hours ago, jcgoble3 said:

There is a major recall on romaine lettuce, which is probably why iceberg was used instead.

Information on the FDA website: https://www.fda.gov/Food/RecallsOutbreaksEmergencies/Outbreaks/ucm604254.htm

Yes there was but that was a while ago. I have no problem them substituting but you need to let people know. I have no desire to eat iceberg that has no nutritional value.

44 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

The recall was only on Yuma, AZ romaine.  Costco has pallets and pallets of CA romain and never stopped selling it.   

Iceburg is not a Caesar Salad. 

That's exactly what I was trying to tell a supervisor and they had no clue what I was talking about. He pulled someone else out from the kitchen that said romaine had been replaced because of the recall. I honestly thought that was a pretty poor excuse, if your menu says romaine than that's what you should get unless they otherwise notify you. We've had the same cashier there numerous times, she seems to not care about her job at all and I bet if I went back there today and ordered it I would still get iceberg and no notification that it's been changed. It bums me out as I'm trying to watch what I eat and that's one of the few places I can go besides LaRosas for a salad. Does anyone know if Skyline has salads? I know it's not on the dining plan but at this rate I'm ready to spend extra to get something decent.

Costco's supply chain tracking is a lot more robust than most businesses', so they were able to verify with certainty that their product wasn't affected. Many restaurants have been replacing it to avoid any possibility of serving recalled product and because customers are still wary about consuming it.

When making a substitution like this, they really should change the menu or put up a sign explaining the temporary switch. I'd recommend sending your feedback to the park directly.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

So here is a novel idea, buy some romaine from Costco it looks like there is one at the next exit.   They do sell to businesses.  A pallet of Romain while make a ton of Caesar salads.   

I buy 6 heads of romain for $3 once a week at this very Costco. If I’m paying $12 for a salad you would think you could get some at Costco. 

Fastfood workers for the most part don’t care about their product. These people are summer help and have even less of a passion for food. I doubt it gets better unless the chef is bringing about a culture change also. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AnyPancakes said:

I buy 6 heads of romain for $3 once a week at this very Costco. If I’m paying $12 for a salad you would think you could get some at Costco. 

Fastfood workers for the most part don’t care about their product. These people are summer help and have even less of a passion for food. I doubt it gets better unless the chef is bringing about a culture change also. 

The fast food workers do not purchase the food they prepare. 

43 minutes ago, Tera Ryzing said:

The fast food workers do not purchase the food they prepare. 

I’m aware. I was speaking more about not caring/not knowing/ not informing that there are different types of lettuce and a shortage of one type in particular.  I don’t expect them to pick up the slack for supply issues. Sorry if I made it seem that’s way. 

• Like 1