Theming rundown

Magenta Lizard

I thought it might be nice to have a thread just to note theming changes, repairs, improvements, and areas that need work.

I am very excited to note a repair/improvement I noticed last weekend, on Adventure Express.

As has been noted in other threads, there have been a variety of returned effects this year, some that have been missing at least the last couple years. These improvements include louder and more complete broadcast of the sound effects (hissing in the snake tunnels, wind noises, creaking on the lift hill, etc), and the return of light to the bowl of the final protective idol.

But when I rode Friday night, I thought for a moment I saw that the spears in the walls of the second tunnel moved as we passed through. When I rode again Sunday, I watched closer, and I can confirm, those are working again, at least in some manner! It isn't quite as I remember (just a slowish jutting out from the wall), but any signs of theming getting love, especially on Adventure Express, is a reason for me to be happy!

• Like 23

Adventure Express looks great this year. Other than the actual ride itself, the station has some "adventure" music playing. 

Only thing I wish could be changed was a louder "now you will pay" on the second lift. I can't really hear it if I'm in the back of the train. 

Night rides this year are pretty awesome on Express. 

• Like 12

I was happy to see some updated effects on the last lift hill of Adventure Express.  I also noticed that the first tunnel no longer smelled horrible.  The second tunnel, however does need some work.  I really wish they'd repair the spear effects in that tunnel.  I remember that the spears used to move in and out of the holes.  It would be nice to see those working again.

• Like 5

I haven't had a chance to ride Adventure Express this year but that is all awesome to hear. I'll definitely check it out next time I visit the park. As I and others have said before, Kings Island isn't Disney or Universal, but taking care of the theming that they do have makes a world of difference. Adventure Express is one of my favorites at the park and hearing that it got some TLC makes me very happy.

Areas that I'd like to see improved or fixed:

• Glockenspiel on the Festhaus. Fix it, build a new one, whatever needs to be done.
  • AREA APPROPRIATE MUSIC. Perhaps one of the easiest and cheapest fixes they could make and would make a world of difference. I hate to sound like a broken record on this topic but I will continue to bring it up until it changes back. You don't have to be all that old to remember a time when International Street played majestic music and movie themes, Rivertown played country, etc. instead of the same tired pop songs in every area of the park. In fact why not change up the music in the ride queues too... Scary atmosphere music at Banshee and The Bat, for example. I could go on, but I think you get the point.
  • At the risk of stating the obvious: Boo Blasters. If it's on its way out (and I believe it probably is) fine, maintain it to whatever extent is needed for safe operation and then replace it and properly maintain the replacement... However, I think the level of maintenance it currently appears to be getting is embarrassing for the park and the customers deserve a whole lot better. Hopefully whatever replaces it will be properly maintained.
  • I may be getting into general park improvements now, but I think this is relevant to theming and park atmosphere as whole: Use your vacant buildings (for more than just Haunt) or bulldoze them. Put Plants vs. Zombies or some similar new experience in Action Theater. Do something with the Tomb Raider building. Quit building ugly sheds for Haunt mazes. I love Haunt and understand that it makes it easier and may be more cost efficient... but it's extremely tacky. They managed to put a Halloween event on for years without permanent structures (at least that were in obvious guest view), why can't they go back to that? Comes across as that house that leaves its Christmas lights up year round. Sure the set up is easier each December, but it looks bad the rest of the year.
  • Embrace nature's natural theming. This is of particular relevance this year. Only tear down trees, get rid of water features, etc. when absolutely necessary for construction. Follow The Beast model of construction as opposed to Diamondback. Natural landscape can be a huge element of a ride experience, again, see: The Beast.
  • Like 28

^Yes...this times 1,000!

Everything you said is right on the money.  I completely agree with you, especially when it comes to the music thing in the different parts of the park AND the horrible Haunt building ordeal.  You have and empty building...great! Use it for something or tear it down.  Don't let it sit empty all year.  Also, quit building tacky looking sheds in plain site of guests.  It is very tacky and it's starting to get on my nerves.

• Like 11

I'm wondering though, how they'd be allowed to play that particular music.  I noticed the first track in the video was from 'Hook.'  I'm sure the parks would have to pay some kind of licensing or something to be able to use music like that from different movies.  However, when it was a paramount park, I'm sure it was way easier since they'd be able to use themes from their own movies. 

• Like 5

I'm a big proponent of themed music also. In my opinion it is the most underrated element of theming, yet one of the cheapest to pull off I would think. It very much helps immerse guests in the experience. Each themed area and/or attraction should have music that accompanies the experience. And it really doesn't have to be "music" per se; it can also be sounds that match the theme to create a little more ambiance. It's super easy for areas like IS, Rivertown and Octoberfest, and for rides like The Bat or Banshee. Now I haven't been to the park in a while so they might already do this, but last time I was there it felt like just about every ride and area was homogenized with pop music.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 9

I don't have any knowledge of this from personal experience, but from what I've seen on this board over the past couple of years, the same music that used to play on Kings Island's International Street plays in the less grand entrance plaza of Worlds of Fun (or Valley Fair, can't quite recall). And at least at one point was played on much lower quality speakers. Terpy can be of more assistance on answering that though because I believe he was who posted about it originally a few years ago.

But seriously, if Kings Dominion can do it, Worlds of Fun can do it... why am I still hearing Firework by Katy Perry when I walk by the Royal Fountains... or the beautiful new Funnel Cake stand in Rivertown?

At the very, very least playing better music on International Street just seems like such a no-brainer to me. Can't believe we're going on about 7 years of generic pop music now... Give me atmospheric music and sounds. I don't want a continuation of music I was listening to on the radio driving to the park. If they want to play the pop music in the park I say keep it in Planet Snoopy and Action Zone. The other areas have so much more potential.

• Like 7

Another ride that got some theming love is Flight of Fear. The lights on the top of the UFO from the outside, and around the inside are working again (last season they worked briefly before going away again). I haven't seen the etched lucite one on the back wall working yet this season but I expect it will at some point.

Also, they have switched out the people in stasis tubes in the station. They are wearing much more neutral clothing: plain white t-shirts. I will miss the early 90s vintage KI t-shirts and caps, and particularly the plaid mini skirt. It is probably more appropriate for them to appear that they were just taken, though.

• Like 15

I've brought this up before...but here is Kings Dominion's International Street Soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChtQtV9JyDs

Seriously, how hard is it to copy this at Kings Island? Maybe a only few more royalty fees?

If I walked into KI and they were playing this on IS, I would cry and probably sit by the fountains through the whole playlist.

• Like 14

I was in Rivertown on Friday and noticed a worker from the antique photo shop standing out on the midway wearing a 19th century era costume, which fits the frontier town theme, as well as the western tavern look to the new funnel cake stand. But music is key of course. I would love to hear some bluegrass music along with some old country music over the loud speakers in that area. White Water Canyon would provide a cool experience if it featured "Dueling Banjos" from Deliverance in the background, but that's just my opinion.

International Street is also easier than it seems. The background track could be improved with some awesome tracks like on Kings Dominion's International Street ("Main Title/The Winton Flyer" from The Reivers by John Williams, "Gabriel's Oboe" from The Mission by Ennio Morricone, etc.) as well as the music many remember from the past ("Sabre Dance" by Aram Khachutarian, "Hoedown" by Aaron Copland, "A Summer Place" by Percy Faith, "Pirates" from The Pagemaster by James Horner). Some Broadway tunes could also work, especially music from West Side Story like "I Feel Pretty" and "America." Shops can be decked out with flags from the countries which the architecture is meant to represent.

Fixing the Festhaus Glockenspiel and getting a new clock would be a step up for Oktoberfest. A couple of flat rides with German/Bavarian themed names could spruce it up a bit. Any kind of hot dog/sausage stand could work, since hot dogs, bratts and Metra are common midway foods. The area outside of the Festhaus could feature music similar to what they play at Busch Gardens Williamsburg in their German Sections.

Of course, theming updates all have to do with what competing parks do. If Holiday World extends their theming further, or if Kentucky Kingdom gets increasingly popular, then the idea of theming could be implemented. But as of now, it seems like Cedar Fair is keeping Kings Island going toward the major amusement park direction, rather than theme park.

• Like 8

CP's version of Rivertown (I'm too lazy to look up the proper name) plays great music that fits the theme perfectly. I recall hearing a bluegrass instrumental version of Rocketman the last time I was there -- it was awesome. Plus they had some generic music to match the theming as well. There's not a ton of theming elements in that area, but the music alone did a great job of immersing me in that theme.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 11

Adventure Express looks great this year. Other than the actual ride itself, the station has some "adventure" music playing. 

Only thing I wish could be changed was a louder "now you will pay" on the second lift. I can't really hear it if I'm in the back of the train. 

Night rides this year are pretty awesome on Express. 

Is it still playing the same music in the station that it was playing on the passholder preview night? Because I have never been so happy to hear that music in the park. (Famous last words...?)

Adventure Express's theming got a lot of love this off-season, and I am ecstatic about it. The snakes hiss in the first tunnel, the decorative lights are on in the second and third tunnels, and the "main tiki god's" lava actually lights up. This is the best the theming has been as far back as I can remember (which, granted, is basically limited to 2008 and later. I rode Adventure Express years before then, but almost always with my eyes shut out of fear.)

I would agree that the second lift music needs to be turned up. It (and lights in the first tunnel) are really the only things in my mind that would take Adventure Express to the next level, compared to what it's been for the last several years. By itself, Adventure Express is a wonderful roller coaster, but it's meant to be more of an experience than just another roller coaster.

• Like 12

This is how it worked in radio and tv, so I'll assume it's close for other projects.

As for the music, there are 2 or 3 licensing companies. You pay these licensing companies a set fee based on your structure (NPO, for profit, how much profit, etc). You also submit a tracking sheet/data log of the music you play, which since most places are digital is easy to print/etc. the fees you pay are then sent out.

http://www.ascap.com/~/media/files/pdf/licensing/classes/themeparkadm.pdf

Here is the sample contract from ascap.

http://www.bmi.com/licensing/entry/amusement_parks

That's from BMI.

https://licensing.jamendo.com/en/in-store/entertainment/amusement-park

That's another company.

Here is SESAC (EDIT) the third big company with ASCAP and BMI

https://www.sesac.com/licensing/General.aspx

And music writers/producers/singers belong to different companies.

Most places usually subscribe to ascap and BMI to ensure they are covered.

I couldn't find he BMI price, but the ASCAP price is less than 7 cents per person on attendance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

As a follow up here is a link to see if one of your favorite songs is represented by ASCAP and their 550,000 composers

https://www.ascap.com/Home/ace-title-search/index.aspx

Here is the searchable for BMI, scroll to the bottom

http://www.bmi.com/search

EDIT

Here is searchable for SESAC

https://www.sesac.com/Repertory/RepertorySongList.aspx?x=59&y=20

I'm no longer involved in the music side of things as much as I was and certain artists or songs may not be covered by these big three. But for the most part places that play a large array of music will purchase these 3 and when you buy music to broadcast it will tell you who to pay. But for less than 50cents per person per visit that can cover all 3.

So if you have a pass and go 10 times, you cost about $5 for the music to be played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I'd like to chime in and say that when I rode AE on Sunday, I noticed that the snake hissing sound was on (I'd never heard it before, so it was nice) and the first lift did have its sound effects. I was also able to hear the full "Now you will pay" speech in the final lift, which was nice as I don't think I've ever heard it in full on the ride (However, I did notice the "jungle" sounds on the first turn after the station drop did not play for some reason). Also, I will say I heard some strange humming/voice noises in Flight of Fear's saucer which I can only assume are alien sounds, plus there were some really cool lights in there as well. In fact, a letter on the guy's shirt I queued behind kept turning red and then disappearing into the rest of the young man's blue/black shirt due to the changing lights- it was really cool!  :D

Other than that, I noticed Beast's containment area signs in line on Opening Day, which provided a nice touch.

• Like 7

I noticed that the Temple God from Adventure Express was working again. "You have disturbed the forbidden temple. Now you will pay!" Couldn't tell if the background music ("Belly of the Steel Beast" from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade by John Williams) was playing, but it's nice that the effects are improving.

• Like 5

the background music ("Belly of the Steel Beast" from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade by John Williams) was playing

Wow, I totally never knew that that was the song that was playing! I thought it was an original song all this time. You learn something new every day around these parts...

• Like 7

The more you know

Adventure Express's Station music is actually the theme played in the queue of The Crypt before it was removed.

----

And another thing,

Are we allowed to petition Kings Island into getting that Kings Dominion music into Kings Island's international street? I honestly think we should have it as well, and if KD can do it. so can KI.

• Like 5

the background music ("Belly of the Steel Beast" from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade by John Williams) was playing

Wow, I totally never knew that that was the song that was playing! I thought it was an original song all this time. You learn something new every day around these parts...

Going back to the Adventure Express discussion, the final tunnel music is around :44 seconds into the piece. I decided to share this in case anyone was curious.

https://youtu.be/S7ac8qtskAg

(All rights go to the talented John Williams)

• Like 3

Another ride that got some theming love is Flight of Fear. The lights on the top of the UFO from the outside, and around the inside are working again (last season they worked briefly before going away again). I haven't seen the etched lucite one on the back wall working yet this season but I expect it will at some point.

Also, they have switched out the people in stasis tubes in the station. They are wearing much more neutral clothing: plain white t-shirts. I will miss the early 90s vintage KI t-shirts and caps, and particularly the plaid mini skirt. It is probably more appropriate for them to appear that they were just taken, though.

I believe all of the (spot)lights, in the queue and in the spaghetti bowl, were actually replaced with multi color LEDs. Brighter and much improved! 

• Like 2