Theming rundown

Magenta Lizard

Does KD not play upbeat music?

Or are we still only talking about the fountain music?

I've not set foot in KD

i have only been there one time (last week) but here is what I observed:

I-Street/Entry Plaza: Instrumental/movie scores/"European" music. This extended down the long pathway behind the tower. However, once the sun set, the light show started and this area was immersed in techno/dance club music.

Old Virginia: Country-ish music--guitars and banjos.

Candy Apple Grove-50's/60's and 80's-00's pop music.

Safari Village-Congo-type music, but at times it sounded Haunt music as noted in my previous post.

Walkway to Dominator-pop music.

All of the music was upbeat, but just themed to its' area. Also, most of the speakers I saw were ground level and blended into the landscape. The volume was set so it enhanced the experience rather than drown out the experience.

KD was a very nice park. Besides being a mirror image of KI, and the associated moments of confusion, it reminded me of the KI I remember as a youth. If you can take the time, go.

That sounds lovely..
  • Like 5

One thing I've noticed is that on the maps they no longer separate the "lands" with colors.  The paths are all white on the map and there is only small text naming each land. I wouldn't be surprised if one day they stopped marking each land.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It's amazing, no matter how often I've been to KI (over 30 times so far this season) and no matter how much I look around, there are still things that take me by surprise. I've ridden Vortex more times this summer than ever before, but last time I rode I suddenly noticed this on the ground below the queue, for the first time. It's those little touches that are so fun!

98137f22500e35e469225a173d212d23.jpg

• Like 14

Now if I had control over what type of music would play in each area I would do the following.

International Street: Classical Music

Action Zone: Pop and Rock music made between the 80's and today (Anything from Nirvana to Katy Perry)

Oktoberfest: Classical German music

Coney Mall: Pop and Rock made between the 50's and 70's (Beatles, Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley, The Who, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, etc.)

Rivertown: Folk and Country (Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, etc.)

Soak City: Tropical Music (Beach Boys)

Edit: X-Base: Psychedelic and Electronic Music (something like this 

)

Planet Snoopy: Kids songs

• Like 5

It's amazing, no matter how often I've been to KI (over 30 times so far this season) and no matter how much I look around, there are still things that take me by surprise. I've ridden Vortex more times this summer than ever before, but last time I rode I suddenly noticed this on the ground below the queue, for the first time. It's those little touches that are so fun!

98137f22500e35e469225a173d212d23.jpg

I saw this last weekend for the first time
  • Like 4

Was at Kings Island today, here are some observations.

Thrilling-type music was still playing in The Bat queue. Classical music is still playing on International Street as well.

I could not hear the final hill audio on Adventure Express at all.

Flight of Fear is looking great, the lights in the queue even flicker at corresponding points in the video they play in the hangar area. They may always have been like that though, this is actually only the second time I've ever been on it.

Boo Blasters is probably the worst I've ever seen it. Many effects broken, such as Boocifer behind the fridge only popping out halfway, tourist being chased by skeletons was still, skeletons in bed not coming up, etc. Also, in the front lobby, there are now bright light bulbs inside the chandeliers and a very bright light in the back of the queue hallway.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed the terrible state of Boo Blasters as of Aug 4th.

My gun personally wasnt working too well (my usual skill at shooting can't vary THAT much. Esp concerning the very close targets) lots of things not working as mentioned above, also lots of audio moments would trigger with my friend's gun (which worked normally I think) and the audio would stop and cut off abruptly.

It's quite disappointing to experience these kinds of rides when we know how great the experience used to be before Paramount brought Scooby and then esp after CF took that to Boo "Blasters"

• Like 5

While riding Adventure Express today, I noticed the following thematic elements: jungle noises when coming out of the station, an arrow that popped out and went back in (I don't think I'd ever seen that working before!), the creaking bridge sound effect, movement from most of the statues on the final lift, glowing "lava" and "Now you will pay" audio. I was so impressed by the arrow's movement I rode it a second time!

• Like 7

This is new

ed917066f6e45c18caa1b97c5076868c.jpg

#D-BACK2016 written in stones alongside the lifthill. Makes me think I hadn't just never noticed the one at Vortex, that it is new too.

I'm pretty sure the Diamondback one was added sometime today, or I was really distracted during my morning rides. I noticed it immediately when climbing the lifthill of my ride just before closing. Fortunately had just enough time to get back in line and take a pic. It's much clearer from above but obviously I couldn't take a picture while riding.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

I was at the park yesterday. Here's what I noticed.

Flight of Fear was really good in terms of theming. Music was loud and clear, I could hear the audio for the TV's very clearly, and of course, the lights were synced. In the area right before you enter the tunnel that leads to the hanger, the audio of the commander giving orders was playing. It's the first time I've heard it.

I don't know if this goes under theming or just general aesthetics, but the little fountain in the Oktoberfest pond is going again. It hasn't been on all year. It's moved though, now it's almost underneath Viking Fury instead of being close to Slingshot/the Bier Garten.

I was very disappointed to see that the fog coming from the Banshee sign was turned off.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Kings Island just posted on their Instagram account that they added a new sign to The Beast's first lift hill,  I really like it!  Here's the link.  Hope they bring back the footprints too someday. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLR_R5-hdQe/

I don't care for the Sign, I'd much prefer the Classic one. But change can be good, hopefully with the little themeing touch ups details they do. They follow up with bigger projects on The Beast such as the track and supports being stained again and maybe the water effects returning to the chutes at the station.

• 6 months later...

I rode Boo Blasters tonight, and they've put some work into it on the offseason. It's only the second time I've seen the screen with the face in the first part of the ride (the cemetery) working. The display on the TV in the cold storage area toward the end was also working which I had never seen or realized should be there. Nearly all of the targets were functional (a large change from the end of last season), and the animated pieces worked smoothly. The only thing I noticed was non-functional was the photographer tourist being chased in circles, it didn't move. 

• Like 14

I was just watching CoasterBob62's new video, and noticed some lights flashing on BLSC, right where you sit and wait for the fire, its on the wall.  I don't believe they was working last year, so that's neat those are fixed!   Here's the video, its towards the end.

On 4/16/2017 at 9:41 PM, Magenta Lizard said:

I rode Boo Blasters tonight, and they've put some work into it on the offseason. It's only the second time I've seen the screen with the face in the first part of the ride (the cemetery) working. The display on the TV in the cold storage area toward the end was also working which I had never seen or realized should be there. Nearly all of the targets were functional (a large change from the end of last season), and the animated pieces worked smoothly. The only thing I noticed was non-functional was the photographer tourist being chased in circles, it didn't move. 

That's nice to see! It's good to see them put work into Boo Blasters because last year, I rode it 9 times throughout the year and every time most everything was broken. The worst was Boocifer at the organ who turned around and said "dance to my phan" not being able to finish the word phantom. He then turned around and said nothing as we passed by. But if you remember this happened to Maestro on Phantom Theater a lot as well. He would get stuck and not turn all the way so he would face the wall and talk and taunt the wall instead of people basically. I'm a lover of Boo Blasters, so I look forward to many rides this year and hopefully it will work well for me too. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know. Kings Island is done well I feel across all areas, and I think it might be the best themed for their seasonal parks. But I feel liek Knott's Berry Farm is their best themed overall. However that one is a bit different I feel given it's proximity to Disneyland and Universal and being a year round park. I havne't been yet but the theming looks great and their dark rides are the best in the chain hands down. Plus their Halloween event is leaps and bounds ahead of all the others.

But i do feel that for the parks int he same ategory as KI within the change that we have the best theming, between the little section of Oktoberfest along with the IS as a whole for a first look inside the park, Rivertown, Coney Mall, and some individual rides like Banshee. CP's fronteir trail is amazing and the Maverick coaster, but outside of that it all feels very generic to me.

• Like 2

Well, the original CF parks probably don't hold a candle to KI in terms of theming sans Knott's anyhow.  Kinzel was never into that.  

Now the other 4 former Paramount Parks might have bits here or there, most of that obviously lost to the re-branding.  KD has some fair theming IMO, at least in the blended theming that is the Congo area.