'Flex': Shrinking Summer Season?

WhatTheBlazes

As most of the school districts around me (Indianapolis area) are going to the ‘Flex’ school year schedule and the movement seems to be gaining some ground in various parts of the country, I was wondering if any schools in the Cincy/Mason area are starting to try it out yet and if it becomes as prevalent as it is here, how might it affect the Summer Season for Kings Island?

Brief overview of what this is….  Basically in lieu of going year round, administrators have looked to studies and found that a 3 month long summer makes it difficult for kids to retain much of what was learned the year before and have to spend too much of the beginning of the new year reviewing.  So with this system, the school year starts the last week of July, then there’s 2 week long fall, winter (Christmas) and Spring breaks.  Summer is then reduced to roughly 8 weeks getting out Memorial Day weekend then starting back up in the last week of July.   

If this type of school schedule comes to South West OH, would it cause KI to make its weekday operating season even shorter?  If many of the park’s employees are area High School Kids starting school in the last week or 2 of August I’m not sure that KI would be able to be open until then as it is now.  I think this last season, going to weekends-only happened kind of early as it is, let alone if this happens.

(Disclaimer:  I have no knowledge of nor heard rumor of the school systems in the Cincinnati area even looking into this, rather I am just wondering, as an observer of the trend that many places are, how it might affect the park if they one day do)

• Like 3

I haven`t heard of any school district`s down here switching to that.

I will say that at Coney, we had enough trouble getting people to work in August as it is.  Last year was awful for staffing in August.  The switch from quarters to semesters for UC and OSU really hurts, as UC used to start in mid-September, which used to help, but now they start mid August.  

• Like 2

See also laws in some states - such as Michigan and Virginia ("Kings Dominion Law") - that preclude schools from starting early.

I definitely can see why some states would do that, waiting until after Labor day to start.  Good reasons, economy, more family time before its too cold, etc. With so many types of activities to do in the Cincy area (compared to where I am) it'd be nice to have the extra few weeks in Aug and Sept for outdoor things.  Apparently Ohio legislators attempted similar legislation in 2011 but alas, the attempt was not successful. 

• Like 4

I have always been for extending the school year into early-mid June (say, June 15 or so) and then starting back after Labor Day. It makes the most sense to me, because those months in between technically are part of summer. May-August has never made sense, really. Coming back to school when pools are still open, the temperatures are still in the 80's, and students are still in that summer mindset is extremely distracting. Imagine ending school closer to the actual equinox and then coming back closer to fall when the leaves start changing.

• Like 5

I like summer just the way it is. I went to a school in 7th grade, 2013, that did not have a summer. Or at least they did not get off until June 30th, and we were back two weeks later. My personal life really suffered because of it as I was not able to hangout with people because I had school. Waking up early every day gets tiring, very tiring when no one else is doing it with you that you are really good friends with.

• Like 4

I don't think weekdays would be affected too much as many could still go during the evening.

And who is going to staff the park?

People who aren't in school. They exist, every restaurant etc around me operates fine. Then when they get busy in the evening they will be available again. Who is going to staff the park this Friday when the kids are in school?

• Like 2

I don't think weekdays would be affected too much as many could still go during the evening. 

I can see why you're saying that, but if people are only going to show up in the evening, and there arent enough people to properly staff the park during the day, does that mean that the park would go to weekends only schedule earlier, and only be open during the week through July instead of through the last week or two of August?  (If this type of schedule happened to the school systems, of course)

• Like 2

One reason the park is open Friday is many have no school Friday.

Minors in school have limited hours they can work school days.

And the restaurants around you are not for the most part seasonal.

Staffing while school is in is a nightmare for amusement parks.

I'm sure it can be but that doesn't mean its impossible. It might affect the early hours more and how many rides are open but the park would still probably open and there are plenty who aren't kids who could staff the park. I don't follow the school schedules much and didn't think they would be off, is there a reason behind it?

I just checked Kings Islands schedule and this Friday starts the daily 10am opening on Fridays till August 19. I don't think the kids are off school every Friday in May. They usually let out after the 1st week in June right? I hate to look back and say how long its been since I've been in school :P And yes Terp I know you are older than I :)

• Like 3

If I counted correctly, there are currently 41 weeks in the school calendar (out of 52), take out two weeks for Christmas break and another week for Spring break (in my district anyways) and its 38 weeks of school over 52 weeks.  Doesn't really matter how you slice it up, I believe that is state mandated (at least in Ohio).

If you break the school year up into quarters, that would 9.5 weeks of school per quarter.  Out of the 41 weeks, I didn't account for holidays like Labor Day, MLK day, President's day, nor did I account for Teacher in service days which the students don't show up.  Throw in (2) "holiday" days into that 9.5 weeks and that accounts for 9 weeks a quarter, 45 days of school.

I'd then look at it like this, give the kids off 2 weeks around Christmas/New years.  Then go 9 weeks prior for 2nd quarter, and 9 weeks later for 3rd quarter, with a full week off prior to 2nd (after 1st quarter, ie a fall break) and after the 3rd (prior to 4th, ie a traditional spring break)  That would mean kids would get off approx. the week of Oct 10 (its highlighted on my small wall calender, not sure why, but I assume its Columbus day).  9 weeks prior to that, would commence the 1st quarter, approx. Aug 8th (which is only a week or so prior to when my kids start school anyways).  The 3rd Quarter would end  near the end of the 1st week of March, leaving spring break for approx around the week of March 7th.  1 full week off, then 9 more weeks to go, puts school ending somewhere around early may.  Add in the additional 0.5 weeks of that 9.5 week and it pushes school to around Memorial day. 

I guess if you extended fall and spring break 2 weeks, that puts them on a schedule similar to the one at the top.  Anyhoo, that seems ideal to me, many of the fall sports/activities start up around the end of July anyways, so Summer travel is no longer an option for many families.

• Like 1

The adult unemployment rate is so high, I don't understand why it's such a huge need to hire such a large percentage of your workforce as high school students. Are adults just not willing to take the jobs?

I always thought Memorial Day through Labor Day was a good standard for summer break, but class sizes are larger now and schools are less efficient and have stricter requirements than they once did. Here in west Texas, the school schedules are crazy. They have barely any summer break, just a few weeks in July, and they have longer fall and spring breaks. And only one or two snow days every few years, because Texas.

• Like 3

From my observations and thoughts, it would seem that high schoolers run the park during early weekend operation.  A great deal of universities let out after the first week in May, so college students are ready to go by May 15th and will be running the park during the first two weeks of daily operation (May 15th - 27th). 

Then summer comes and goes, and everything is hunky dory.

Then, a similar thing happens in the fall, although reversed.  Some high schools may go back as early as the week of August 7th.  Most colleges won't start until the last weekend in August.  So once again, those last two weeks of daily operation (August 8th - 19th; just like the first two weeks of daily operation), the park is staffed by a majority of college students.  Then sometime in the last week of August/First week in September the college folk go back to school and the park turns back over to high schoolers for the rest of the season on weekends and during Haunt.

• Like 3

For schools (in Ohio) students must attend a certain number of hours versus days. so delays count against the running clock of hours.

Also extended school years do help kids retain previously learned information but it's a balancing act between learning in school and learning in the real world.

Also the jobs are open to adults and kids, if adults don't take the job it's for a few reasons including but not limited to: pay, hours, job duties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Snow days?

I can not elaborate on Ohio schools, but working in an Indiana school system, I can tell you Indiana law requires students to attend 195 days. A day is considered if lunch is served. So a 2 hr delay because of windshield factors is still a full day. A 1 or 2 hr early release due to an incoming snow storm is still considered a full day.  In our district we have 2 to 3 snow days built in. If they are not used due to a mild winter, the students get the extra days to learn. They are not dropped off for good weather. If more days are used, it has to be made up to equal the 195 days.

Our district is on the (we call it) balanced calendar as Monte mentioned. We have been on it a few years now. We have a career center for different trades and surrounding schools feed into our to school to attend these classes. Example Auto Repair, Auto Painting, HVAC, Computer Repair, Networking, Dental, Cosmetology, Radio, TV, Printing and design, etc. So some of the feeding schools have changed with us. Others have not.

Having a few kids going to the same district I work in, I feel this balanced calendar is better for them. Not only for the lost knowledge, (harder on the teachers, not the parent) but they really need that 2 week break to have a chance to relax. They seem to be refreshed and more willing to get back at it.

Back on the topic question, I think KI would be able to staff KI when school is in session. They seem to be able to do it in May and August.

• Like 2

Given that I'm currently working for $1.19 an hour, net...

Oh, wait. Sunday I get a raise. Since I'm not going to San Francisco, I'll be making $2.19 an hour net.

I doubt Cedar Fair would tolerate my kaleidoscope of ever-changing careers and positions, though.

Terp -- always tell the truth--people will never believe you. Speaking of which, I'm not going to San Francisco primarily because of shoes, Uncle Fester, stairs and DingALing, despite being a 'rockstar.' True that.

• Like 5

For schools (in Ohio) students must attend a certain number of hours versus days. so delays count against the running clock of hours.

Also extended school years do help kids retain previously learned information but it's a balancing act between learning in school and learning in the real world.

Also the jobs are open to adults and kids, if adults don't take the job it's for a few reasons including but not limited to: pay, hours, job duties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you raise an interesting point.  I think it is related to pay, hours, and duties.  What if, in order to get workers that are at least slightly older than HS age, KI built living space for workers?  I believe CP has employee dorms if I am not mistaken.  But how they are used, I do not know.

Disney hires many of its employees through a similar method, they own 3 properties in FL near their parks.  Granted that is Disney.  I was involved in this program actually, called College Program when I was younger.  Not only was it a fun job, but the social aspects of it were very memorable as well and now I have friends from all over the country I am still in contact with 15 years later. 

Maybe KI could implement a similar program and recruit people from around the area in places like Louisville, Columbus, Indy, etc  just out of HS and early 20's to come be a part of it.  This way you could ensure that you have employees that WANT to be there, will do a good job, maybe pay them a little bit more, but they are also having a good time and meeting new people and networking.  Also could help to stretch daily operations earlier/later in the season perhaps? 

Edit:  I do not believe Disney actually owns the living properties per se.  When I was there, they were owned by a company that was headed by Mrs. Michael Eisener, and if that is still the case there you have it.  They would collect the rent out of each check.  The rent was significantly less than apartments and such in the surrounding areas per person, but you did share a large bedroom college dorm style within the larger apartment unit.  Grounds were nice though, pool was nice, perks were nice. 

• Like 2

I feel like since KI is near such a big city, they don't really need housing for workers the way Cedar Point does. Sandusky doesn't have a lot of apartments to choose from and nobody's going to buy a house for an hourly & seasonal job.

There's already a large population, a few colleges, and plenty of housing options in the Cincinatti area. It's not quite as isolated as Sandusky. I dunno if it would be very cost effective for KI to build dorms.

I guess you could say the same for Orlando with Disney though, and they have dorms. But it seems a lot of their workers take semester-long or summer internship jobs.

Edited to add stuff.

• Like 1

I feel like since KI is near such a big city, they don't really need housing for workers the way Cedar Point does. Sandusky doesn't have a lot of apartments to choose from and nobody's going to buy a house for an hourly & seasonal job.

There's already a large population, a few colleges, and plenty of housing options in the Cincinatti area. It's not quite as isolated as Sandusky. I dunno if it would be very cost effective for KI to build dorms.

I guess you could say the same for Orlando with Disney though, and they have dorms. But it seems a lot of their workers take semester-long or summer internship jobs.

Edited to add stuff.

Yes very true, the Disney program is anywhere from 4 - 9 months depending on which you choose I believe.  It is disguised as an "internship".  However, with returning members who are in school or students working in a masters program, many are able to actually do some work with professionals to earn credit in some cases.  Plus the park is open year round....

I agree that housing is readily available, but like you said who would sign a lease to work a summer job for a few months?  The KI housing could be seasonal as well.  However, like you said, with the park only open daily a few months out of the year instead of all the time, the cost of such an endeavor after building, maintenance, and property tax would probably not be with worth it.

• Like 2

My point with KI being near a major city is that people already live there year round and the distance from the universities, etc. is commutable. 25 minutes from University of Cincinatti. (Depending on traffic, of course.)

Cleveland to Sandusky, on the other hand, is about an hour away. Most people don't want to commute that far for an hourly job.

Employee housing certainly COULD be useful for some people, don't get me wrong. It's just that the hassles of maintaining it properly would probably make management think it's not worth the cost. It's cheaper to hire high schoolers who already live nearby with their parents. And cost is a major determining factor.

• Like 1

The Disney College Program is an interesting concept.  Basically what they're doing is securing themselves workers for 6 months, and creating fun events for them to go to in their off-time, so that at the end of their 6 months, they tell their friends how awesome the Program was, and they apply for it again.

The College Program participants, generally get the least-favorable shifts, however.

• Like 3