Earful Tower at DHS has come down

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/theme-park-rangers-blog/os-disney-hollywood-studios-earffel-tower-removed-20160429-story.html

The Earffel Tower, one of the original and iconic structures of Disney's Hollywood Studios, has been removed, a Walt Disney World official confirmed Friday morning.

The company announced in January that the 130-foot-tall faux water tower, topped with a gigantic set of mouse ears, would be coming down. From inside the theme park, it was most visible during the Studio Backlot Tour, which was shuttered in September of 2014, but it could also be spotted by visitors outside the park.

• Like 3

When the charm of seeing "behind the scenes" is a thing of the past, a studio-themed park makes little sense. In a post-Animal-Kingdom / post-Islands-of-Adventure world, creating a catch-all park with big boxy tan showbuildings instead of detailed, themed environments looks like a cop-out... and it is. At Disney's Hollywood Studios and Universal Studios Florida, big boxy tan showbuildings and the "Hey, it's a real movie studio!" excuse are going away, and with them go the landmarks of a studio, like giant water towers and enormous glittering sorcerer hats. Er... 

• Like 5

Yep. At this point, it'll probably happen in conjunction with the Star Wars land and Toy Story Land openings – no reason to change the name and make headlines with the park as it is now. But it's not a studio anymore. Instead, it'll be immersive, detailed lands that let you become part of your favorite stories instead of just finding out how they're made. 

For a long time, the new name was rumored to be Disney Hollywood Adventure. 

Now, insiders say that the most likely name is Disney's CineMagic Kingdom. I don't have to explain how stupid that is or how much I PRAY it's a joke.

My choice would be Disney's Hollywoodland Park. Helps reconcile the new immersive cinematic lands with the Golden Age of Hollywood that is the park's entry, icon, and Sunset Blvd. 

• Like 2

Are they still going to rename this park? It seems like over a year ago Iger announced it was going to be changed and then nothing since.

Pretty sure it will be renamed but not until after the new sections of the park are complete.

Disney's Florida Adventure? I suspect there is a lot more changes coming to this park than we we know about.

Because of Disney California Adventure?

But that's because California Adventure is a loving tribute to the story of Walt Disney and to the memories of Californians who frequent Disneyland Resort. California, in and of itself, is a pop culture marvel that's, in many ways, transcended into its own Mecca for people around the world. Disney California Adventure merges Walt's story of California, Californians love for California, and esteem the rest of us hold California in by recreating timeless past versions of the states many sights: snow-capped peaks, evergreen forests, Pacific beaches, the vast and inconceivable deserts... Then there are the stories: car culture, Victorian boardwalks, the melting pot of San Francisco's wharfs, the Golden Age of Hollywood, and the bustling, optimistic, ideal Los Angeles that Walt encountered in the 1920s. It's a smorgasbord of stories and settings that enchant us all. 

Disney's Florida Adventure? They had their chance to buy Cypress Gardens and they didn't. Florida doesn't exactly have the cultural gravitas that California does, nor the varied sights to show and stories to tell. "Soarin' Over Florida" wasn't a thing. In fact, Epcot's ride was Soarin' Over California

Maybe there is more to be announced for the park currently known as Disney's Hollywood Studios. But a land based on Star Wars and a land based on Toy Story will be joining an idealized and beautifully created Hollywood Blvd. of the 1940s and an intricate Sunset Blvd. anchored by a 1930s lost Hollywood Tower Hotel. I'd say that the new resulting park will still be about Hollywood, but instead of being "behind-the-scenes," it'll let us step into our favorite movies; it won't show us how movies are made, but why - how they feel and the impressions they leave with us.

But Star Wars, Toy Story, Hollywood, The Muppets, Indiana Jones, and The Twilight Zone... Disney Florida Adventure? I don't think so. In fact, it's probably closer to Disney California Adventure Orlando! 

• Like 5

I've seen rumors somewhere (can't find it anymore) suggesting the Muppets will actually have an increased presence in the new park.

Which seems odd, given that ABC has yet to officially renew (or cancel) the Muppets.  Its fate will be revealed at the upfronts next week.  Also, Cinemagic Kingdom sounds like a recipe for disaster.  Guests have trouble enough getting to the current MK; this would increase the problems tenfold. 

• Like 1

Yea, the show and movies haven't been flops or failures by any means but they have not been major successes either. That said I would love for them to have their own small area there. Maybe the Swedish Chef can have a restaurant, a family dark ride to them and update the Muppetvision movie. Could have it be a Muppet Studios land which could give the full immersion experience while still keeping a remnant of the park's original form too with having a movie/tv studio.

I've seen rumors somewhere (can't find it anymore) suggesting the Muppets will actually have an increased presence in the new park.

The space around Muppet*Vision at Disney's Hollywood Studios is all that's left of the Streets of America. As of now, it's been officially designated its own themed area and named Muppets Courtyard. The Toy Story 2 themed Pizza Planet restaurant there has closed for a rebuild which – if you catch the tone of the construction walls – is likely to be a Muppets themed restaurant. Which would be fair, since that space was originally intended to be its own land, Muppet Studios, which would feature Muppet*Vision 3D, a Swedish Chef restaurant, and a headlining dark ride called The Great Muppet Movie Ride. Jim Henson's passing delayed that, and eventually it was cancelled. Obviously Disney then bought the Muppets outright, so they COULD do it. The Great Muppet Movie Ride sounded wonderful, too. 

Is the Florida Tower of Terror going to be rethemed like California.....

Of course, there is that contract between Marvel and Univerisal.....

Contracts can be broken for a price.....

The contract between Marvel and Universal is the reason Tower of Terror could get a temporary Guardians of the Galaxy overlay. That contract forbids Disney's use of any Marvel characters present at Universal or reasonably associated with the characters present at Universal. The characters from Guardians of the Galaxy don't meet either of those requirements... yet. But Avengers: Infinity War Part I and / or Part II will likely include the Guardians of the Galaxy. Once that happens – but, apparently, ONLY once that happens – Guardians will be locked out of Disney World, as they'll be associated with the Avengers, who are present at Islands of Adventure with Captain America, Hulk, etc. Disney wants to use them while they still can to tie into Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2 being in theaters. But once the Guardians meet the Avengers, they have to be gone from Disney World. Or so I've read. 

bkroz, not a practicing attorney in this or any other state. Not even CLOSE!  :P

• Like 7

Is the Florida Tower of Terror going to be rethemed like California.....

Of course, there is that contract between Marvel and Univerisal.....

Contracts can be broken for a price.....

The contract between Marvel and Universal is the reason Tower of Terror could get a temporary Guardians of the Galaxy overlay. That contract forbids Disney's use of any Marvel characters present at Universal or reasonably associated with the characters present at Universal. The characters from Guardians of the Galaxy don't meet either of those requirements... yet. But Avengers: Infinity War Part I and / or Part II will likely include the Guardians of the Galaxy. Once that happens – but, apparently, ONLY once that happens – Guardians will be locked out of Disney World, as they'll be associated with the Avengers, who are present at Islands of Adventure with Captain America, Hulk, etc. Disney wants to use them while they still can to tie into Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2 being in theaters. But once the Guardians meet the Avengers, they have to be gone from Disney World. Or so I've read. 

bkroz, not a practicing attorney in this or any other state. Not even CLOSE!  :P

I'm not sure Tower of Terrror at Disney World will get the makeover. Some of the stuff I've seen for it makes it sound likely that with all their plans they might be planning to make the Guardians overlay at California Adventure permanent and part of a new Marvel superhero land there. Been talks of making over the entire exterior and interior areas and other changes. This to me sounds like a more permanent change and not a quick overlay. But it's still possible either way. Haunted Mansion Holiday is a pretty big change and is seasonal itself so could be temporary, but changing the exterior to me sounds more permanent as well. Also the premiere of GotG: Vol. 2 is going to be at Disneyland so the overlay there helps tie into both the movie and the premiere.

The Disney World one is a very different system and would require more work to it for what would be temporary, most likely, because of the contract Universal has. This specific Tower of Terror is already acclaimed around the world, whereas the others are regarded as highly so feel there would be a much bigger backlash for changing the one if Florida than any of the others.

Also, as stated it makes some sense for CA with them planning to build a Marvel themed land by it to tie into, whereas at Hollywood Studios it would be on it's own and stick out greatly, not really fit with theming, which the parks are really pushing towards more immersion so seems counter intuitive to that.

Additionally, the parks are trying to cut costs some where they can so seems like it would be a costly move for something that would be temporary.

Again though anything could happen so never say never, but I just don't see it happening in Florida but can easily see it coming to Disneyland.