Winterfest making a return?

Jdm_4ever

So as I was washing my souviner cup last night I noticed that on the label it says expires on December 31st 2016. I didn't think any thing of it at first but I got to thinking if the season ends on the last weekend of October then why put on an all season souvenir cup that it is good until the end of the calender year? Out of the five years I worked in food service at the park I don't recall ever seeing an experation date on the cups. Does anybody have a logical reason behind this experation date? Could they secretly be bringing back winnerfest?

• Like 1

There will be a winterfest at California's Great America. Cedar Fair announced it when the announced that they will be expanding CGA over the next several years after land purchase. Personally I would like to see KI bring theirs back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The last time I was at Winterfest at Kings Island was in 1992, and I'm sure that was the last year it ran.

It's nothing like the Haunt. Meaning that most of the park will be blocked off, so you will only be allowed to walk around International Street, and a few other parts, and that's it, Even the Eiffel Tower will be shut down and off limits. Also, if any rides will be running, it will only be 1 to 3 at the most, being that they would have to be indoor rides or something that can operate in below freezing temperatures. They will always have ice skating on the International Street fountain, but even that will be limited when you actually see it for yourself.

Keep in mind, that every time people cry for Winterfest, no one ever comes out to go to it. No attendees, no Winterfest!

Also, there have been many times that the Haunt was closed early because of cold temperatures running all the guests off. If the people don't stay in the park, then the park simply doesn't stay open, not when temperatures get that cold and no one wants to be there.

• Like 1

The last time I was at Winterfest at Kings Island was in 1992, and I'm sure that was the last year it ran.

It's nothing like the Haunt. Meaning that most of the park will be blocked off, so you will only be allowed to walk around International Street, and a few other parts, and that's it, Even the Eiffel Tower will be shut down and off limits. Also, if any rides will be running, it will only be 1 to 3 at the most, being that they would have to be indoor rides or something that can operate in below freezing temperatures. They will always have ice skating on the International Street fountain, but even that will be limited when you actually see it for yourself.

Keep in mind, that every time people cry for Winterfest, no one ever comes out to go to it. No attendees, no Winterfest!

Also, there have been many times that the Haunt was closed early because of cold temperatures running all the guests off. If the people don't stay in the park, then the park simply doesn't stay open, not when temperatures get that cold and no one wants to be there.

Not true, they did it again in 2005 and it flopped big time.

Also, freezing the fountain damaged it in 2005 as well, so I don't think they'll be doing that again.

• Like 2

There is a few video's of Kings Island's Winterfest 2005 on Youtube if you wish to check it out.  Never heard of the fountains being damaged by freezing the water during it though.  I thought I've read here that the 2005 Winterfest was a hit,  but Paramount only did it to show off what the park could do.

There is a few video's of Kings Island's Winterfest 2005 on Youtube if you wish to check it out.  Never heard of the fountains being damaged by freezing the water during it though.  I thought I've read here that the 2005 Winterfest was a hit,  but Paramount only did it to show off what the park could do.

I wouldn't say it was a hit with the GP. Maybe a hit with KI fans. It was really overpriced for what you got.  I remember riding the train. They themed it to (I think) the WWII era to give a touching story about being away for Christmas. There was also a music and light show at the pond where DB is now. There was an Ebeneezer Scrooge puppet show. I remember the food (while expensive) was good in the Festhaus with a turkey dinner option. It was fun, but I probably wouldn't return if it was the same. There was just not enough to do for the price (and pass holders did not get in free). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The ice rink on the Royal Fountain was not done by "freezing the fountain"  They built a wood formwork over which the ice used for freezing the rink was constructed.  

One of the issues with the reincarnation of Winterfest was that they simply were charging too much for it.  Pass holders got a couple dollars off admission, which cost them $22 a person or so (which was pretty steep)  And your pass was not valid for free parking, so you had to pay for that too.  

The entertainment was top class.  It wasn`t as good as Dollywood`s Smoky Mountain Christmas.  Some of the kiddy rides, the train, Carousel, and Boo Blasters were all operating.  Winterfest was more of a family event, and not necessarily targeted to thrill seekers.  From what I understand, the original incarnation of Winterfest at KI made money.  However, it was discontinued in part to extend the season later into October.  And in 2005, the last weekend the park was open for Haunt (called FearFest at the time still), it was a weird combination of Haunt decorations and Winterfest decorations.

Personally, I would love to see Winterfest return to KI.  I had fond memories of it from when I was a kid.  And as I look to the future and raising my own family, would love to be able to take my future kids their to make similar memories.

• Like 2

As much as I would love to see a return of Winterfest at Kings Island, I just don't see it happening. There is no way Kings Island would charge less than $20/ticket to get into the park and the zoo is already less than that, and I would guess that most people would make their decision on a winter trip to be Winterfest or Festival of Lights due to the tradition of Festival of Lights and the lower price. Not many families can afford more than one trip in the middle of Christmas season.

• Like 1

As much as I would love to see a return of Winterfest at Kings Island, I just don't see it happening. There is no way Kings Island would charge less than $20/ticket to get into the park and the zoo is already less than that, and I would guess that most people would make their decision on a winter trip to be Winterfest or Festival of Lights due to the tradition of Festival of Lights and the lower price. Not many families can afford more than one trip in the middle of Christmas season.

No matter how badly a winter event flops or who owns Kings Island, with time Winterfest will always be on the table. Corporate management is always going to be looking for ways to generate revenue on a year round basis.
  • Like 8

No matter how badly a winter event flops or who owns Kings Island, with time Winterfest will always be on the table. Corporate management is always going to be looking for ways to generate revenue on a year round basis.

Yes they will look for revenue, but they will only use that revenue if they think it will make a profit.

• 1 month later...

^ "If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: stop exaggerating." (One of my favorites.) 

Quoting from the Decoding thread:

Winterfest was lame. I loved skating on the fountains, riding the train, hanging out at fires and seeing lame ass shows...not so much there. The carrousel was open and at the end of the hours spent there in the cold...

You are standing in an amusement park with phenomenal rides around you...that are flicking you off because it's crappy outside.

I'm probably in the minority, but I had fun ice skating and that was about all you could do to prolong the trip. Unless you wanted to visit Int. Street stores some more. They were cooler back then I might add. Probably not though.

Oh yeah, the Hanna Barbara boat ride was open as well.

I guess for those that adore the park it's nice to enjoy it a little longer...but during the holidays I'll take zoo lights and an abundance of decor. Just me though.

I'm glad you said this, because it brings up a point I've mentioned before.

I'm going to use Busch Gardens as an example, as I always do. Busch Gardens is a phenomenal park. Yes, it has some of the best roller coasters I've ever been on. But visit this summer and you'll eat FANTASTIC food at fair prices and filling portions, see unbelievable entertainment a world away from what we expect back home, ride incredibly themed dark rides, and visit endless cultural shops filled with local craftsmen in charmingly themed Germany, Italy, Ireland, England, France, Canada... 

And yes, during Busch Gardens Christmastown, the roller coasters are closed. But guess what? There's still fantastic food, incredible entertainment, world-class dark rides, and local artisans in "European" shops, now just with millions and millions of Christmas lights sprawling across what's already called the most beautiful theme park on Earth! Dip your own candles in New France, enjoy a hearty meal and an authentic German Christmas show in Das Festhaus, ride Curse of DarKastle as snow falls outside, walk along the frozen rivers, ride "Nacht Tower" (the park's Drop Tower repurposed as an observation tower), step into the shops in England where fireplaces roar, see a half-dozen expertly staged holiday shows around the park, walk through literal miles of forest decked out in tasteful lights or see it from the train...

Then you have Kings Island.

Kings Island is primarily a thrill park. Food? Blegh. Shopping? Nah. Entertainment? Eh. Landscaping and gardens? Well... (cross-threading). The point is, I think Existential's post isn't what we want to hear, but it bears repeating: "Kings Island without the rides" is a hard sell. If the food, entertainment, shopping, and landscaping are (to be very honest) inconsequential during the year, why would we expect them to suddenly become billboard-worthy for Christmas? (And for that matter, if they WERE phenomenal at Christmas, then why aren't they the rest of the year?) And might Boo Blasters be open? Oh, we can hope!  :rolleyes:

Busch Gardens without riding any roller coasters? Oh man, you could still fill days!

Kings Island without riding any roller coasters? Why go? Serious question there: why go? Yes it's unique to be in the park during the winter, yes it was unusual to skate on the fountains. What makes it worth my money? 

bkroz, just playing devil's advocate here. I think Winterfest would be really cute. I'd drive 90 minutes down to visit. But I'm not exclusively a "thrill seeker," and the truth is, many Kings Island guests are. See the attention paid to "Oktoberfest," "Rivertown," "International" Street, etc. People want coasters? Kings Island's got 'em... April through October.  :ph34r: I think Existential's view is similar to many peoples': What is there to do at Kings Island if the roller coasters aren't running? I hate that we're there, but there we are.

• Like 10

One thing Kings Island could do is to build Winterfest-specific structures (special shopping, dining, Santa Claus houses, Christmas-themed walkthroughs, etc.) that may or may not be used the rest of the year...it's not like it would be an unprecedented move.

• Like 3