Winterfest making a return?

Jdm_4ever

^^ To build and maintain the coaster, the water quality, and the area, it makes more sense to have a filtered, controlled, easily-drainable pool. Argument is, it doesn't have to look like a concrete pool, and the area around it doesn't have to look like a lawn around a concrete pool. Ah well. That ship has sailed.

A dark ride for the christmas season special shops and such would be great.

As far as the dark ride idea, I was surprised they didn't do anything special for Winterfest '05 with Scooby Doo.* A simple overlay with Christmas decorations would've been really nice, I feel like there was a rumor about this going around at the time. 

*2005? My god, I'm getting old. Rapidly.

• Like 2

A dark ride for the christmas season special shops and such would be great.

As far as the dark ride idea, I was surprised they didn't do anything special for Winterfest '05 with Scooby Doo.* A simple overlay with Christmas decorations would've been really nice, I feel like there was a rumor about this going around at the time.

*2005? My god, I'm getting old. Rapidly.

That was the plan in 2005. It was announced and then never happened.

• Like 4

They seemed to love to have budget cuts.

In case some of you didn`t see the post I made last night in the Coney Island forum, Coney has announced Christmas Nights of Lights for this year.  See the thread here.  No rides will be open as it is a drive through experience, which will be open November 11-January 1st.

-Robbie

"CoastersRZ"

• Like 6

Since the Cirque shows are so popular at KI, image the return of KI Winterfest with the Christmas version Cirque Dreams Unwrapped (which also plays at the Gayloard Palms in Florida) in the Festhaus and Santa's Toy Factory in the KI Theater, and then seeing Santa the North Pole (via train ride) over in a huge indoor tent set up in Soak City.    Just sad that KI will now be the only park in the area (with the announcement of the Coney Island drive through display this year) without some sort of public holiday event.

• Like 1

Some have said there is not enough time between the end of Haunt and Thanksgiving to get the park ready for a Winterfest event.   With the new technology in lighting, image all the buildings outlined with the new LED technology of 4 colors in a single bulb, then outline all the buildings with those bulbs - the bulbs could be red (to match the fountains) at Haunt, the colors could be red/white/blue for the 4th July, or a color show at fireworks time, and clear (or multi-color) for Winterfest. (The building outline lights need updated and fixed anyway).   Lights and floodlights in the trees become multi-purposed lessening some of the time it would take to prep the park.   Indianapolis has the record for the World's Tallest Christmas tree, except when Kings Island put up the tree on the Eiffel Tower, which then took the record away from Indianapolis - so imagine the World's Tallest Color Changing Christmas tree set to music around the Eiffel Tower - that would be a show in itself.

• Like 1

On Cedar Fair`s current conference call this morning, they stated that they are committed to rolling out WinterFest to three more parks in 2017.  They did not disclose which parks would be receiving WinterFest.  They did state the parks they will be rolling it out to have strong metro markets with a strong season pass base. Obviously, I hope that Kings Island is one of those three.  My guess would be Carowinds, Kings Dominion, Kings Island and Worlds of Fun are the parks that could be in contention for Winterfest.  So which three parks do you think are on top to receive Winterfest in 2017?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Agree that Kings Island, Kings Dominion, and Carowinds are the three likely candidates for a return of Winterfest 2017.   With the 2017 Season passes going on sale soon and the 2017 operating calendar being released towards the end of the year, I would not be surprised if some type of announcement was made within the next month about Winterfest's return.  It will be interesting to see if Winterfest is part of the 2017 Season Pass or if there will be an upcharge (or a combo of free during the week and upcharge on the weekends).  A cirque Christmas show in the Festhaus and Santa's Toy Factory in the KI Theater would make a perfect holiday line up for the park.

• Like 1