11 Year Old Girl, Hair Caught In Carnival Ride

Carnival rides also fail state inspections more often that rides at parks in NC, one year half of Reinhofter's rides at our local fair failed NC Dept of Labor Inspection. Several rides had needed welding among other repairs.

To my knowledge, Ricochet at Carowinds is the amusement park ride to ever fail state inspection. NC failed the ride because the cars didn't stop in the station, the state forced the park to reprogram the ride to stop in the station. Most Mack Rides mouse coasters are programmed for continuous movement during loading and unloading. Boomerang Bay also had two waterslide towers fail state inspection one season.

• Like 5

Reinhofter Shows pays 7.25 an hour for anyone to to assemble and disassemble rides, no experience required. They randomly pick from what ever locals show up on time at each location. Half of those that showed up when I went one year were on drugs.

• Like 6

Carnival rides also fail state inspections more often that rides at parks in NC, one year half of Reinhofter's rides at our local fair failed NC Dept of Labor Inspection. Several rides had needed welding among other repairs.

That's just another reason I won't ride them.

Carnival rides have always given me the creeps because of the fact they are packed up and carted around and then set back up for a few days. I prefer my rides to have a more permanent structure lol

Same here.

Reinhofter Shows pays 7.25 an hour for anyone to to assemble and disassemble rides, no experience required. They randomly pick from what ever locals show up on time at each location. Half of those that showed up when I went one year were on drugs.

It's quite disturbing....doesn't put the mind at ease.

• Like 2

I don't know, I've rode alot of "fair" rides over the years. We have one for our River Days Festival (Labor Day weekend) every year just about two blocks from where I live. And the largest county fair in the state. Very luckily, maybe, I do not recall there ever being a major incedent at either one of them. I go just about every year and we ride all that the have.

That being said, it seems here lately that there is things happening all over the place here lately. And most of them seem to be human error more than anything else. Kinda scary.

There needs to be more attention paid to the fine details and maybe these accidents would be prevented. I would like to think they would be drastically reduced.

My thoughts are with the girl involved and her family.

• Like 3

To my knowledge, Ricochet at Carowinds is the amusement park ride to ever fail state inspection. NC failed the ride because the cars didn't stop in the station, the state forced the park to reprogram the ride to stop in the station. Most Mack Rides mouse coasters are programmed for continuous movement during loading and unloading. Boomerang Bay also had two waterslide towers fail state inspection one season.

If that is grounds for failure I am curious who certified the former Navy Pier Giant Wheel to operate, it had continuous movement even during loading/unloading.

• Like 2

I wonder if it's the state that makes the determination for stopping? Hershey Park's Wild Mouse didn't stop but MI and Dorney Park's Wild Mouse ride does.

I'm just trying to figure out how this happened. I've had stands of my hair get caught on parts of a ride and it is painful. But her hair getting caught and then falling confuses me - unless she started to fall and her caught hair made her slam her head into the ride? Regardless, that must have been a terrifying ordeal for the girl and the others with her.

• Like 2

I wonder if it's the state that makes the determination for stopping? Hershey Park's Wild Mouse didn't stop but MI and Dorney Park's Wild Mouse ride does.

I'm just trying to figure out how this happened. I've had stands of my hair get caught on parts of a ride and it is painful. But her hair getting caught and then falling confuses me - unless she started to fall and her caught hair made her slam her head into the ride? Regardless, that must have been a terrifying ordeal for the girl and the others with her.

It is totally up to the state.  There is no federal oversight on fixed amusement parks.  There is some level on mobile operators but I am not sure how much beyond compiling statistics the oversight goes.

Last time I saw statistics on mobile vs fixed rides the numbers were very comparable.  Around the same number of injuries occurred at mobile sites as fixed.  But everything I have seen says that the attendance annually is much higher for fixed sites.  So on average you have a higher chance of being injured at a mobile site.

• Like 1

^

"It went on for 5-10 minutes everybody told me while it ripped and pulled my daughter around," her father Timothy Gilreath said. "They don't even know if the muscles will work and my daughter will be able to see again."

Ouch. Sounds like she could be permanently blinded by this incident. I dearly hope that doesn't turn out to be the case.

• Like 2

The statistics I have seen are for injuries per 100,000 visitors....and they are virtually the same.

http://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/108559/amus2005.pdf

The Last time the CPSC released an injury report was 2005.  The report lists the total number of injuries.  Fixed site includes anything from small parks like Coney Island all the way up to Kings Island, Disney, and Universal.  Total attendance at these parks was over 300 million a year back in 2005 and now is almost 400 million.

Last time I saw numbers for the estimated number of mobile site attendees it is around 100-150 million.  

Either way an amusement ride is still one of the safest activities you can perform often safer then driving to the attraction.

• Like 3