Smoking laws not being enforced

Coaster Addict

It's Banshee season again! It's also inconsiderate smokers season. There's nothing that makes me more angry than walking behind young people disobeying the parks smoking rules, with my daughter. I'm a smoker, but only in designated areas, when my daughter isn't at the park with me. For some reason people think they can just light up in Planet Snoopy wherever they please, and the employees... They say nothing to them. Anyone else have this problem?

• Like 9

Outside of Haunt (when many inconsiderate people seem to think darkness and fog machines make smoking everywhere ok), the most I've seen is an occasional cloud from someone puffing an e-cig outside of smoking areas. And, just last weekend, I even saw an employee point out to one such person that they were only allowed to be used in smoking areas, and where the closest one was.

It sounds like you've just had a bit of bad luck. I hope your experience improves as the season progresses.

• Like 3

For many years CF have ignored this problem. I have seen people light up on the midways and even in line while waiting for rides and have yet to see any security officer tell someone to stop smoking. I am with you that it is completely inconsiderate for people to smoke in non designated smoking areas but since security doesn't enforce the rules people will continue to break them.

• Like 4

At CP on Sunday, plenty of people smoking outside designated areas, plus some idiot smoking something else in one of the men's rooms.

My biggest pet peeve after line jumping.

Both it seems I just have to accept if I'm going to go to parks because it will probably never change. I really want to find a sense of zen about it all. Having a difficult time in that endeavor.

• Like 3

It's Banshee season again! It's also inconsiderate smokers season. There's nothing that makes me more angry than walking behind young people disobeying the parks smoking rules, with my daughter. I'm a smoker, but only in designated areas, when my daughter isn't at the park with me. For some reason people think they can just light up in Planet Snoopy wherever they please, and the employees... They say nothing to them. Anyone else have this problem?

I've seen security just a matter of feet behind a guy smoking and nothing was said. The park management should be notified!

• Like 3

Outside of Haunt (when many inconsiderate people seem to think darkness and fog machines make smoking everywhere ok), the most I've seen is an occasional cloud from someone puffing an e-cig outside of smoking areas. And, just last weekend, I even saw an employee point out to one such person that they were only allowed to be used in smoking areas, and where the closest one was.

It sounds like you've just had a bit of bad luck. I hope your experience improves as the season progresses.

It doesn't bother me much at Haunt, because my daughter is too young for Haunt. I've noticed most of the inconsiderate people are very young I'd say 15-20. Most adults follow the rules, I know it's virtually impossible to catch every person, but it seems some employees are ignoring it completely.

• Like 1

My suggestion is that if you see someone smoking outside a designated smoking area, let a nearby associate know; in my experience they have no problem telling the guest to go to a smoking area.

This will always be an issue, despite the millions of times that the "no smoking outside of designated areas" announcement is played each day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

And to think that  when I was a kid  mothers would routinely light up with us in the car and nobody would think anything of it.  How times have changed.  I have a theory that people who routinely think that they can light up anywhere want to go back to a time 50-60 years ago when smoking was an accepted social custom. They refuse to accept that those times are long gone and we will never go back.

• Like 6

Most people I have seen obey the Designated Smoking Areas, however the most annoying thing I have seen in awhile is people carrying around Vape E-Cigarette and thinking they are such a rebel and are so cool. That's why they do it outside of the areas, they want everyone passing them by to think "I am so cool!" I literally saw a 14 year old in front of me vaping in line for Banshee, isn't that illegal? But alas, just like many other things, Cedar Fair will not do anything about it.

• Like 5

Most people I have seen obey the Designated Smoking Areas, however the most annoying thing I have seen in awhile is people carrying around Vape E-Cigarette and thinking they are such a rebel and are so cool. That's why they do it outside of the areas, they want everyone passing them by to think "I am so cool!" I literally saw a 14 year old in front of me vaping in line for Banshee, isn't that illegal? But alas, just like many other things, Cedar Fair will not do anything about it.

Alot of People including myself don't us ecigs to look cool we use them to stop smoking actual cigarettes. While I have more respect to not do it outside of smoking areas I can tell you that not all e cigs have tobacco in the juices and that includes mine I understand your frustration but it's not all because people wanna look cool. Those things can and have helped people

• Like 3

I think he was specifically referring to the people who use their ecigs outside of smoking areas, not the ones like you who are respectful about it. I think he has a point about them trying to draw attention to themselves, because it does tend to be done blatantly with a big cloud shooting out like a dragon, not sneakily.

• Like 7

Holiday World enforces smoking policies.

Six Flags does, too.

At Camden Park, I've seen the ride ops smoking. With that park's fire history...

Holiday World enforces the rules so much that when I visited I thought smoking was completely banned from the park!

• Like 3

Holiday World enforces smoking policies.

Six Flags does, too.

At Camden Park, I've seen the ride ops smoking. With that park's fire history...

That wasn't a couple weeks ago was it??

If so I missed that.

Nope. It was too wet for them!

Haha, yea that's what I thought, too.

But you know, anything is possible.

• Like 1

I think he was specifically referring to the people who use their ecigs outside of smoking areas, not the ones like you who are respectful about it. I think he has a point about them trying to draw attention to themselves, because it does tend to be done blatantly with a big cloud shooting out like a dragon, not sneakily.

Last time I was at the park, someone did just that in line for Adventure Express (bold and italics for emphasis).

• Like 2

Alot of People including myself don't us ecigs to look cool we use them to stop smoking actual cigarettes. While I have more respect to not do it outside of smoking areas I can tell you that not all e cigs have tobacco in the juices and that includes mine I understand your frustration but it's not all because people wanna look cool. Those things can and have helped people

E-Cigs are not yet regulated by the FDA.  You have no idea what you are putting into your lungs.  Thats cool your using E-Cigs to stop but most people never stop using the E-cigs and use it as a hobby and smoke them all the time.

Would expect to see e-cig commercials eventually banned from television as regular cig adds were banned from television 45 years ago.  Almost feel like I am stepping back in time when I see an e-cig commercial.  Here is an example of what I saw regularly on TV when I was a kid.           

• Like 5

On a similar note (and to illustrate how times have definitely changed), I see anti-smoking commercials from truth.org all the time on TV. EDIT: I applaud the relevancy of these commercials (talking about how smoking affects pets, using memes, etc.) as I am a non-smoker.

• Like 5

This is no excuse for them, because of the signs, the announcements, etc., but I think there is an 'Open air' fallacy in their heads.

They think just because they are not in an enclosed space, it's okay to smoke.

CF went through the trouble of making smoking areas, the least people could do is enjoy them. They aren't a table at thr Russian Tearoom, but it's better than than sloggin along with a lit cigarette in your hand.

I don't know why the park employee's just extend the courtesy of the smoking areas.

• Like 1

On a similar note (and to illustrate how times have definitely changed), I see anti-smoking commercials from truth.org all the time on TV. EDIT: I applaud the relevancy of these commercials (talking about how smoking affects pets, using memes, etc.) as I am a non-smoker.

What I don't like about those ads is that it seems to blame everything on the tobacco companies for young people smoking.  Give me a break! People have known for decades about the dangers of smoking yet there are people who have continued to take up the habit despite the warnings. I see no personal responsibility in those ads.

• Like 2

I think that most adult smokers from Ohio follow the policy, but we have folks from other states where it's not prohibited in restaurants or other venues and they don't always know (even though the announcements play all the time). The kids are typically in those rebellious age zones, and will 'test authority' until there is some consequence. Some will stop if asked, others will not. Still, it's so much better than it used to be. Maybe someday...

• Like 3