Smoking laws not being enforced

Coaster Addict

Mother's Day I saw a number of mothers smoking outside designated areas. Including one woman in a wheelchair smoking while watching the bumper cars. That's how we noticed, as everyone riding could smell the smoke. Perhaps mom had a free pass on Sunday? :-)

• Like 2

My last visit to Kings Island The Beast was stopped on the lift hill cause a guy in mid train lit a cigarette. He got to ride but when the ride was over he was put in the kids corral to wait on security!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I look forward to the day when I never have to worry about smelling smoke in any parks. Kings Island seems like they have way too many smoking areas and they still don't get used properly as people will smoke wherever whenever. I feel like i cant walk 50 feet without hitting another smoking area. It is horrible in Coney Mall as well because it is large areas right in the middle and depending on wind someone that doesn't want to smell it will. we were on Scrambler and I could smell it pretty strong. 

• Like 8

So I have been doing an unofficial study lol and this week the majority (90%) of folks I have seen smoking in non-designated areas also are carrying around orange drink cups. Presumably these folks would also be pass holders to have purchased a season long drink cup.

Obviously they have been going to the park and should know better - it is observations like this by management that could lead to a park-wide ban on smoking - I mean if frequent visitors disobey it is reasonable to assume the one time visitor may be even more likely to disobey.

Last year my unofficial study showed more violators had FastLane passes so they obviously felt they paid for the right to smoke wherever they felt.

Your observations may vary...

• Like 4

The tobacco companies don't hold a gun to someone's head and tell them smoke our cigarettes or we will shoot nor do they threaten to toss you in jail or garish wages. Smokers choose to purchase cigarettes, the Truth.org commercials have gotten alittle absurd.

A pack of methol cigarettes lasts me around 6 months, I smoke at most two a week but I would say on average one every two weeks.

The Truth commercials are absurd to you because you smoke. It's cool though go on believing they are absurd and I will be dealing with helping out my mother-in-law who is in her 50'2 with COPD and on oxygen because of smoking. Yes it was her choice but she started when thinking was a little different with it, and there is nothing wrong with delivering a message in a shocking way if it hits home with the target audience. 

• Like 3

The tobacco companies don't hold a gun to someone's head and tell them smoke our cigarettes or we will shoot nor do they threaten to toss you in jail or garish wages. Smokers choose to purchase cigarettes, the Truth.org commercials have gotten alittle absurd.

But the music on those commercials are sooooooo cooooool brooooooo they really relate to me as a young hip-minded millennial bro the beats are sickk

:ph34r:

• Like 1

As a smoker, it does irritate the hell out of me seeing people smoke where they please. It is not out of ignorance 99% of the time, as there are any annoucements and signs. I don't see many cig butts on the ground, however this could just be due to the sweepers doing a great job. I will be very upset if smoking is banned, but I do think they need to be much more strict with their enforcement of the rules.

• Like 4

The lack of butts is definitely the sweeps. I was there one day when staffing was very low recently, and also noticed an unusual number of cigarette butts. As the day went on and more employees were showing up, it went back to what I'm used to, almost never seeing a cigarette butt.

I'm actually a little surprised with as low as the crowds had been that morning that there were enough disrespectful smokers to make as much of a mess as they did. Because the disrespectful ones are a very small fraction of smokers, they just draw much more attention.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I carry an small Altoid tin for cig butts, but that's just me. I don't like seeing them strewn about, so I don't want to be That Guy.

SOBwasaSOB,

It irritates me, too, as a smoker, to see someone being cloddish with the rules. it's worse, as a smoker, to inform someone of the designated smoking areas and have them refuse the invitation. 

It's not that hard to just pay attention to that sign with the cigarette on it. They even have different benches, for sakes. I haven't been to the park in two years, so I don't know what all has changed, but the park is surely doing enough to promote the areas, except maybe corralling them off with little gates to make them more obvious.

I do hate the one area SMACK! in the middle of Coney Island. It's just strange compared to the others in out of the way places, so out in the open.

• Like 2