Wrong lane on Kings Island exit can cost you $18

KIfan73

They really can't force you to pay. Ask for a manger. The guy running the gate may not be able to do anything, but his supervisors can. If that gets no where, request they call the police to make a path for you to exit.

• Like 3

Hmm, Cedar Fair didn't install gates on the new toll plaza at Carowinds. Emerald Pointe(NC) let me drive through the parking lot without paying the first time I went. I didn't have anything but a debit card(which the booths didn't take) and wasn't aware of a parking fee. Rather than go to the ATM, get money and pay for parking, I simply drove home by my choice.

• Like 1

Most big parks have some way of you turning around after the gate to leave. Dollywood has you go left through a turn around to the exit. Universal puts a piece of paper under your wiper which shows security to direct you to the exit.

The park just needs a drive which allows you to make a left turn into the exit.

• Like 4

I have yet to make it to the park this season, so haven't seen the entrance for myself, but how was this even possible?  Surely that has to be at least 1 person this season who showed up to the park and didn't realize until they made the front gate that their wallet, gold pass, purse, etc.... we sitting on the kitchen table and they had literally nothing with which to either identify themselves or pay for a transaction.  Surely KI has to realize that some people will show up to the park, then realize they have to pay for parking as well and think "no thanks, I'm heading home rather than nickle and dime my way thru a day of FUN.  Think you are going to get those people to soften their stance and return at a later date if they are force to pay, then walk all the way up to the front to get a refund?  Or as in this case, surely they had to foresee a situation that a driver would be lost and turn onto park property without realizing it, or get stuck in the right lane and not be able to safely maneuver over w/o severely disrupting the rest of traffic.

As I said, I haven't seen this myself, but it surely seems they needed to put a little more "thinking" into their new entrance, I've read far too many complaints about something that should be so simple.

• Like 2

Yikes I have been in the left lane to try and get back on the road before (albeit not with the new entrance) and it is absolutely dangerous to try and merge back into oncoming traffic so I see this event happening a couple of times. But oh boy the response from the park is less than helpful. I'm sure that this maybe happens only a couple of times a day but it just seems like it could be avoided by both the driver and the park. Sure the people end up getting a refund but its just a hassle. Not only for the person who has to go and talk with security to get a refund and may not have time to do so. But it also takes away park employees from doing something productive and makes them have to attend to something that should be a non issue. Adding more signs wont help too much because for the most part the right lane is always packed so people wont even be able to see the signs. The construction only exacerbates the issue. So I am not sure what they can do to alleviate the issue but it sure seems like there should've been a turnaround added for an easy exit if someone happens to make a wrong turn.

• Like 6

I just hope there were some very sound reasons why they needed to change the entrance.  The entrance to a world class amusement park that has managed to stay alive since 1972 isn't something that should be taken lightly, and hopefully it wasn't.

An issue that I wonder about from the one time that I've used the entrance is the length.  With the entry lanes so long, it would allow for people to really gain some speed before they reach the tolls, allowing for those people with less than good judgement to "jockey" for position.

• Like 3

Maybe a new enterence is going to be the future. The parking was to try and help traffic which it has a lot when heading south and north once the construction is done. I feel like they will put plenty of signs up once they get the new medians in and finish up this construction. It's a new change and it's gonna take time for people to adjust. But when there are arrows and signs and a line of traffic turning. You should know that you need to put your signal on and wait. I've done it before (not at KI) and came out perfectly fine.

• Like 1

The right lane has always gone into Kings Island, its just in a different place now.  People that get themselves into these situations should not be driving. 

I think the new parking entrance has a lot to do with the changes that will be happening to Kings Island Drive the next few years.

• Like 5

Those of us that have been at the entrance before the gates opened have seen that there is an exit point on the left where the gate is to allow you to exit - it is concrete and marked exit - however, that requires one to realize they made a mistake before going up the hill and seeing the new tolls.  Once you pass it well then yea currently you have to go thru the tolls.  But I would expect an employee to use judgment on if the person is really visiting the park or made a mistake.

I made a mistake once and got to the tolls at Cedar Point and simply said I made a mistake and they let me through and I went out an exit.

I've also noticed something unusual as well. After you exit the park to the south, near Western Row, the two south bound lanes are now being permanently merged into a single lane via a concrete curb. I'm guessing it's because of the construction of the new loop entrance to 71 north that's being constructed. I imagine there will be massive southern jams at peak season with folks trying fly over 71 south from a single lane.

That story doesn't sound right. My guess is she caught some teenage employee who has yet to develop problem solving skills. Kings Island has a lot of those. The employee probably told the lady the only thing he or she knew; The gate does not open without money. I don't know if it is poor training, a unfit employee or that lady not telling the whole story.

I don't see any choice for Kings Island other than to let someone through the gate with directions to the exit. If someone comes to the gate and refuses or is unable to pay what is Kings Island going to do? They can't force them to stay at the gate. That's actually false imprisonment. They can't create a situation where the person feels their only option is to back out against traffic. That creates a liability for any damage the driver may cause. The only reasonable option I see is to open the gate with instructions to leave.

• Like 1

If that was me that accidentally drove into there, I would turn off my engine in front of the gate, and protest. Then when about 4 to 8 other cars do the same thing, then Kings Island will get their act together real quick.

This is a family forum.

Please delete the profanity.

And skipping spaces to add it?

Not cool.

EDIT: Thank you.

That word is not profanity, but I changed it for you.

I'll use examples so you know what I mean.

Examples:

1. I have a lot of ____ to do.

2. This ____ needs to get done.

3. Where is the restroom at? I need to take a ____ .

4. You are going to be in deep ____ when you get in trouble.

Did you know that the FCC only censors freedom of speech based on what the Catholic Church thinks should never be said?

Did you know that if you go along with any form of censorship, then you are against freedom of speech, and are a threat to our Constitution?

Did you know the mods here decide?

Did you know the First Amendment has to do with only Government restrictions on speech, not forum owners?

Again, thanks.

That would be an example of tricking the people into policing each other, just like in Nazi Germany.

That's what our New World Order is becoming.

Everything we upload and say anywhere on the internet, is completely self moderated. This is the new Nazi Germany of our times. An entire world so bent on hate, that it only takes one person to hate one thing anyone says or does, and then out come the lynch mobs to crucify them.

If you want to teach the kids anything, it should be for them to think for themselves and to stand up for freedom before it's too late.