Tropical Plunge passholder preview weekend

malem

Coasterstock isn't the only event this weekend; Soak City's gold & platinum passholder preview is happening May 21-22. All waterpark attractions are scheduled to be open, 11am-8pm both days. Who plans to be there?

To continue my streak of being among the first public riders on new KI attractions, I plan to get there at open on Saturday. Weather has been known to delay Soak City opening and/or close it early, so I suggest keeping an eye on the forecast & announcements from the park. Temperatures may be slightly cool if you believe the extended forecast.

• Like 7

^ Since Tropical Plunge has 6 different slides, chilly weather might present an opportunity to ride them all without a long wait.

The high temperature was 57 for Zoombezi Bay's Opening Day in 2014. The current forecast is balmy in comparison.

• Like 5

Malem- did you actually get in the water at Zoombezi Bay at 57 degrees? How do you handle such cold temperatures?

I went the following day, when temperatures eventually made it to the 60s. Since I was one of a very small number of people there, I did all the slides multiple times in about 3 hours. If I recall correctly, Sunday had a few hundred total waterpark admissions, while Saturday had about 12.

Speaking from experience, it was nothing compared to doing Haunt until 1am with downpouring rain & 43° wearing shorts & a t-shirt. That was cold.

• Like 8

I went the following day, when temperatures eventually made it to the 60s. Since I was one of a very small number of people there, I did all the slides multiple times in about 3 hours. If I recall correctly, Sunday had a few hundred total waterpark admissions, while Saturday had about 12.

Speaking from experience, it was nothing compared to doing Haunt until 1am with downpouring rain & 43° wearing shorts & a t-shirt. That was cold.

Ahh. But still, most people would consider that a bit chilly to be in the water. I'm impressed. Do cold temperatures just not normally bother you?

(I'm genuinely curious - I tend to run cold so it's hard to fathom being in the water if it's under 80. :))

• Like 5

^ I do tend to be fairly tolerant of extreme temperatures, yes.

I've never been a fan of coats, going back to when I was a kid. Perhaps I built up a tolerance of sorts. I do take care to avoid frostbite, hypothermia, and heat exhaustion; those are nothing to mess around with.

• Like 5

I am also very, very tolerant of cold water and temperatures. I once swam in Houghton Lake in Michigan, July 2014 when the water temperature crashed overnight due to temperatures only making a high of 56 degrees, water was about the same as the air. Swam in it for thirty minutes before I could not handle it. And EDIT: I swam in the lake without a wet suit, just my swim trunks and no shirt!

50 degrees+ I can tolerate almost anything. Heck I rode the Log Flume when it was 64 degrees out.

I went to Soak City when it was only 65-70 degrees out last year and did just fine.

• Like 4

I was gonna start this thread but I forgot  :lol: I'm glad someone thought of it, thanks malem. I was wondering if this was in anyone's plans. I initially really wanted to attend, still may, but like everyone else in this thread, the weather+temps will be the key determining factor...

• Like 3

I was really thinking about trying it out during some of the downtime from Coasterstock this weekend.

Rain? No problem. I mean you're gonna be wet anyway. I ain't sweet enough that I'll melt.

Now cold is a different story. Had enough of that last weekend.

• Like 2

Never thought about the glasses perspective. I could see where that would be awful.

It's like me and my wife watching a movie together. I can't hear someone on a bullhorn sittin next to me on the couch. She can hear some whispering half block away. Doesn't go well together.

• Like 4

I got a notification saying that Coney Island was pushing back their pass holder preview of Typhoon Tower due to the weather this weekend. It's unlikely that KI will do the same, but it shows you how confident they are that the weather won't be great.

• Like 3

Sunday looks like good weather for the waterpark - 74° under the late May sun should feel pretty warm.

I'm still planning on going first thing Saturday, as long as it's open. Mid-60s rising to about 70° is currently forecast, with a lingering chance of rain.

• Like 2

Lower 60s this morning with a lingering chance of showers. The waterpark should be open as scheduled, 11am-8pm. Gold & platinum passholders only.

For those brave enough not to let a little cold get in the way of being among the first riders, look for the meetup at the Soak City front gate right before opening!

• Like 3

Dryers don't need ducts when operated out-of-doors.

Now whether such operation and in a commercial setting meets manufacturer's recommendations and electrical codes....

Terp -- who was disappointed when he saw his first Family Dryer! He (but not GE) had hoped it would be a tumbler. In the 1920's, it surely would have been.

• Like 2