Geauga Lake: Worlds Once Adventured

Watched it. Even though I love Cedar Fair ATM, this and the attempted Apollo sellout have to be the lowest moments I have ever seen by the company, and all have a common perpetrator. At least Six Flags gave Houston, Texas a chance to say goodbye to Astroworld, they did not even give the visitors a chance to say their goodbyes! This would be the ultimate nightmare for me if Kings Island closed for the season and five days later they announce it will close. I am still very mad at Cedar Fair for this, but under Ouimet, things have gotten better for the company and how it does business.

• Like 4

I grew up going to Geauga Lake and Sea World of Ohio several times a year.  I remember going the year that Raging Wolf Bobs opened and being a child who was barely tall enough to ride it, I was so scared of it I do not remember actually riding it that year.  By the time the park became a Six Flags my trips were very infrequent only occurring every few years.  Looking back it is obvious the mistakes which caused the park to close.  Six Flags tried to do too much in a very short amount of time.  Adding four coasters in one year is just crazy.  Then when Six Flags sold the park, Cedar Fair removing the animals was just insane and compounded the problems.  I went one last time in 2006.  At the time it was a Saturday in July and as I remember it the park was just dead.  I posted a trip report here on KIC but even with google I have not been able to find it.

I do think Cedar Fair made a mistake not opening for one last season.  When parks announce something is closing the attendance typically spikes.  One last year would have likely been pretty profitable.  

It is interesting how little changes over the years.  I found this old thread searching for my old trip report.  It is from almost ten years ago in 2006 discussing if X-Flight was going to move to Kings Island which obviously it did and ended up being called Firehawk.  The thread has several current discussion topics.  Everything from the people arguing about footers, that there is not enough time left to build a coaster (Land Clearing for Firehawk started in November and they were pouring concrete in March), and that we are not getting a coaster next year.  Which technically footers is the wrong term, and Firehawk did not open until the end of May.  So what does that mean for today?  Nothing except we are doomed to repeat the past, and ten years from now people will still argue that they are not called footers.

• Like 5

So I watched these in bed last night, and happened to look up Jazzland to see what he was talking about at the end of the video and found this.

"Festival Park, Spirit of Louisiana" (2016–)[edit]

On April 12, 2016, New Orleans businessman Frank Scurlock presented to the city's Industrial Development Board his plan to redevelop the stagnant Six Flags park as "Festival Park, Spirit of Louisiana". The revitalization plan includes restoring the amusement park with 30 new themed rides, an international shopping center that leases store space to other nations instead of retailers, a resort hotel, and a Noah's ark replica at the Interstate 10/I-510 intersection that would serve as a meditative space for its clients.

Video was made in 2015, so understandable that he wouldn't know about this development.

• Like 2

It kinda sounds like Epcot, except with a random ark included. That's a strange mix.

I've wondered for a while now why a park hasn't been built between Houston and New Orleans. Both are decently large metropolitan areas that haven't a large park nearby since the mid 2000's. There was the Grand Texas theme park proposed near Houston, but that really hasn't managed to get off the ground yet.

• Like 1