Cinci Zoo Gorilla Death

I've read a couple comments now about some level of blame being placed on the zoo for having an enclosure that is accessible for a 4 year old. I'm certainly not a zoo exhibit expert, but I've been to many zoos in my lifetime, including Animal Kingdom at WDW less than a month ago ("not a zoo" slogan aside, that park certainly has zoo exhibits for sure). That park's gorilla exhibit is set up very similarly in certain areas, though is much larger and also includes a glass enclosed exhibit similar to Cincinnati Zoo's tiger and lion areas. Not to mention a 4 year old could jump out of a moving safari vehicle there with ease if unwatched for 2 seconds. Maybe you could say that the AZA and other associations need to stiffen their policies on dangerous animal exhibits, but if you compare Cincinnati Zoo to other major zoos, it certainly seems that their exhibits are on par with the others, at least to a novice like me.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Press conference currently scheduled for 1:00pm today:

http://ktla.com/2016/06/06/cincinnati-gorilla-killing-prosecutor-to-decide-on-charges-in-shooting-of-harambe/

EDIT:

No charges filed.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2016/06/06/live-prosecutor-announces-decision-zoo-charges/85491968/

"If you don't believe a 3-year-old can scamper away that quickly, you've never had kids," Deters said. "They just do that."
  • Like 2

I'm trying hard to not put this in the same category as what I've seen prominently the last few months.

First, a parent allowing their child to run around, sit on strangers' laps (I kid you not), kick strangers' shins, and literally climb walls during the Enchanted Tiki Room at Disneyland. (Everyone was so appalled, so speechless, as the mother sat on a bench simply mouthing "come here! Come here sweetie!" I physically made eye contact with her, pointed at the child and said "GO GET HIM. GO. GET. HIM." She finally stood up and brought him back to her lap and held him there. Free-range parenting! At Disneyland! During a show!) 

Second, a set of mothers letting children shriek at the top of their lungs, yank on the cords to lower blinds, step across said blinds once they'd bunched on the ground, slap the windows, climb under occupied tables, etc. at a local restaurant just the other day. Again, once in a while they'd look over and go, "Come here, honey." But the children didn't even register it, and the moms went back to their conversation. It's as if they can't imagine that people are trying to eat, or that someone has to clean those windows their children are pressing their faces again and fix the blinds that their children are yanking on.

This is an example of what I call a 'bright' child, because when the parents are confronted about the behavior, they usually say something stupid like, "She's a very bright child, we don't like to discourage her from exploring." As said child mashes her her face into the potatoes on my plate.

'Bright' is a nebulous term, unmeasurable, over used, and must be Latin for 'Steamroller of the Soul" because the parents have such a dead look in their eyes as they explain the child's 'brightness'.

• Like 4

Zoos And Their Enclosures That Don't:

* In Cinci, the enclosure doesn't--a little boy tumbles into the gorilla "enclosure."

* In Utah, the enclosure doesn't--a leopard enters the people area, climbs a tree, takes nap:

http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/06/08/leopard-gets-loose-salt-lake-city-utah-hogle-zoo-causing-visitors-take-shelter

• Like 1

Zoo officials later stated she climbed up the mesh and squeezed through an opening... http://fox13now.com/2016/06/08/hogle-zoo-explains-how-leopard-escaped-from-her-enclosure/

The fact that they initially stated they don't know how she got out is baffling - a jungle cat. In a tree outside the enclosure. How else would she get out except by climbing?

• 2 months later...

Leave The Cincinnati Zoo's Twitter Account Alone:

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/leave-the-cincinnati-zoos-twitter-account-alone-1785613686 (I tried to archive this with WebCite in case Deadspin goes down with Gawker, but they apparently block the WebCite bot.)

Cincinnati zoo boss: internet jokes about Harambe are upsetting grieving staff

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/aug/22/harambe-gorilla-cincinnati-zoo-jokes-memes

• Like 3

A pretty thoughtless comment given the article linked to above that you're no doubt responding to.

Imagine if your dog or cat was put to sleep and the entire world decided to make it into a meme and post "hilarious" hashtags, print t-shirts, spam every post you made on any social media site reminding you of it, and call out bro-chants. That would just tickle you to death, wouldn't it? Or would it be a thoughtless, juvenile, insensitive, and crass reminder of a sincerely terrible event?

The people who, y'know, actually worked with this creature are pleading people to stop making light of it and to let them move on. Please help them with that.

Put another way: grow up. 

• Like 17

REAL HEROES NEVER DIE. RIP HARAMBE

There's nothing funny about this or any other Harambe meme. It's not even a matter of being respectful or disrespectful.  It just isn't funny. It isn't cool. It's obnoxious. Put yourself in the shoes of the person who had to pull the trigger.

To echo previous sentiments, grow up.

• Like 8

This is the evils of social media.

Everyone has their own way of dealing with issues: anger, frustration, hold it in, humor etc.  But can any one of truly know of how the other emotionally feels through what is written?  I have been called out on numerous occasions for being mean but I was  "attempting" to be sarcastic/ humorous and honestly trying to make light of a difficult subject. 

Yes, it is easy to see someone trolling for emotional responses, but for others, it may be their way of handling things.  Social media brings out the best in some, and the worst in most.  Some are gonna be idiots, but our options are: hunt them down & stone them, or get rid of social media.

.... and I doubt social media is going anywhere.

• Like 6

REAL HEROES NEVER DIE. RIP HARAMBE

Maybe not the most appropriate comment for this forum, but we're having a field day with this over on Reddit. :D

I'm not gonna sit here and preach about how people need to "lighten up," because honestly, these memes are genuinely offensive. But just because people make jokes about Harambe doesn't mean they don't understand the gravity of this situation. Harassing the zoo on Twitter is probably going a step too far, but one little comment parroting the same Harambe joke isn't going to send society down the drain.

This has also got to be hard on the family whose son was involved. If a loved one were almost killed in a freak accident that resulted in the death of a beloved animal, you wouldn't want constant reminders of the situation being blasted all across the internet. When this story first broke, people were quick to put the mom on blast saying this wouldn't have happened if she had been watching her son properly - which may or may not be true. Either way, it's not fair to anyone involved that people won't let go of this and move on. Sure, this incident was likely preventable, but we can't change what happened at this point.

• Like 1

The memes aren't making light of Harambe's death as much as they're mocking the public's response to it, especially on social media, which I don't have a problem with considering the abhorrent amount of insincere virtue signaling the incident caused.

These memes, too, will fade, although the Cincinnati Zoo's response has probably added another month plus to their lifespan.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

It's true: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2663653-nfl-shop-bans-fans-from-ordering-customized-harambe-jerseys

Also, in a possibly related move, the custom jersey ordering appears to have been taken down completely now. Clicking on the banner halfway down the home page at http://www.nflshop.com/ just reloads the page with this error message inserted: "Oops. We couldn't find the page you requested and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause."

• Like 2