Disney World help

I've touched on this a bit in the past, but now this trip is real, but still a year or so away.

We have already booked my father's condo on the Gulf Coast of Florida for early next summer for a week and we'd like to slip away to Disney for 2-3 days (1-2 nights) during that trip.  We have a son that will be 8, almost 9 at the time of the trip, a daughter that will be just past her 5th birthday and a young son that will be about 18 months at the time of this trip (ie still napping).  We were down there for a family reunion when our oldest was a little over 1, so from that perspective, we're used to seeing a child that age just nap in the stroller for a brief spell, but as we were down in Orlando for a full week, we only did half days at the parks so he could sleep in the afternoons at the condo we were renting, plus we didn't have any other kids pulling us in different directions.

We'd plan to be there sometime middle of the week.  Based upon the Disney crowd schedules that I see, I expect crowds on the 7 out of 10 scale, but are there days in the middle of the week that are traditionally better for the Magic Kingdom?  At the moment, I don't think we plan to hit any of the other Disney parks unless we did go for 3 days.  I know when we went 3 years ago, a 3 day pass was only a little more than a 2 day pass, and beyond that it was only like an extra 5-10 dollars a day for additional days.

Anyhoo, now that that is out there, I'd like to start with the most basic question first, where to stay and when to book.  Ideally, I'd like to stay on property, but that is not a must.  We're about 2 hours away where we are staying, so its feasible to drive back and forth, but I think would make for an overall more relaxing, enjoyable stay if we booked somewhere with easy access to the Magic Kingdom.  As I mentioned, my youngest will be 18 months, so a nap is a must, are you allowed to enter the park early in the morning, leave mid day then reenter on the same pass later that evening?  If so, what would the ideal resort hotel to stay at that would provide quick access to the main park?  I'm thinking a moderate level hotel, don't want to fork out the money for one of their top shelf places, but wouldn't mind something a little nicer than their basic accommodations.  Having a "memorable pool" would be an added perk for the kids, not sure which places have the best pools, though I'm not sure how much time we'd spend in the pool seeing as we'll be at the beach the rest of the week with both the ocean and a basic pool to play around in.

Once I figure out where to book, when is the best time to book?

Thanks in advance, once I get that settled down, I'll ask follow up questions on the magic pass (or whatever they are called these days), food plans, etc...

• Like 2

We just did WDW with a 2 year old last year and will be doing again this December with a 3 year old and a new born (coming in October).

Disney Transportation is super easy to use and great. We stayed at Art of Animation and I would say the ride back to the hotel from MK was about 30 or so mins. So from that point of view I think you would be happy no matter where you go as transport make it easy to get to and from the parks to the hotel.

You can reenter the parks using the same ticket. What may be nice to know though is that each park has a nursery area that's air conditioned. For the most part that's where our little guy napped during the day. I would get my wife an iced coffee and my son would nap in the AC and my wife would relax and cool down. I would either explore some of the shops or read or just read in the AC myself. That way we didn't have to leave the park and come back. I would suggest this first but not always needed.

I'd book as soon as you can (12 months out). When I spoke with Disney last year they told me that if the price drops they would reimburse me he difference. So it's not worth waiting especially if you can get a room where you want.

We are staying at Bay Lke this December but for easiest transport look for a park on the monorail line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Thanks Shark, I didn't know about the nursery, that could be a time saver.

I was thinking about the Contempory resort, which seems pricey, the wilderness lodge which looks like it has a fun pool area w/ a slide, but no monorail access (though it looks "close" on a map to the monorail and appears to have direct access to boats over to the Kingdom, or perhaps the Grand Floridian resort and spa, which is on the monorail line and appears to be moderately priced.

I couldn't look for rooms beyond this calendar year on the Disney website, is it best to just call?

• Like 2

I was thinking about the Contempory resort, which seems pricey, the wilderness lodge which looks like it has a fun pool area w/ a slide, but no monorail access (though it looks "close" on a map to the monorail and appears to have direct access to boats over to the Kingdom, or perhaps the Grand Floridian resort and spa, which is on the monorail line and appears to be moderately priced.

I couldn't look for rooms beyond this calendar year on the Disney website, is it best to just call?

There is a difference between moderately priced and moderate, as far as Disney resorts go.  From Wilderness Lodge, you'd  walk to the Cont. to catch the monorail.  All of the MK monorail resorts are considered deluxe and you'll certainly pay for the priv.  If you're only staying 2-3 nights, I'd go for Art of Animation (stayed there, loved it, though be warned it is HECTIC!), or somewhere quieter like Port Orleans French Quarter (my personal fav).  Early May-just before Mem Day is a good time to go.  You'll find MK crowds heavy no matter whenyou go, but some days are slightly better than others.  Between the ability to prebook Fastpasses and early AM Extra Magic Hours (1 hr before the park opens to regular guests.  Its free if you're staying at a Disney resort), you can accomplish a fair amount.

I believe Disney's booking calendar extends out at least 12 months.  Calling won't yield you any better results.  One other option is checking out a Disney Vacation Club third party website.  DVC holders dont always use their points, so they put them up for sale on these websites at a discount.  You type in your dates, and the site will tell you your options.  Its a good service that could save you some $$.

• Like 3

It all depends what you value the most. Art of Animation IMO is the best resort for young children, and is one of the most affordable options to boot. If convenience is your main factor, you're going to have to fork up some serious cash for one of the resorts near MK. If cost is your main factor, Airbnb is for sure the way to go IMO. You'll pay less to stay at a house and pay to park at the parks than you will to stay at a resort on property. Plus you'll save more money by having access to a full size kitchen. And you won't have to deal with Disney transportation which is convenient at times, but can be a major nuisance other times.

It'll be crowded, but the crowds are certainly manageable. With a good touring plan and smart FastPass+ usage, you'll absolutely be fine if you're worried about the crowds. If you're looking for the best days to visit MK, you want to try to avoid days with Extra Magic Hours for sure. If you can go on a weekday with no EMH, that's your best bet.

As far as best times to book, the earlier the better. You're more likely to find availability for the room you want the further out you book. Also, buying your tickets as soon as possible isn't a bad idea either. Granted they just raised ticket prices a couple months ago, but I'd expect at least 1 price increase per year. If you wait too long it could end up costing you.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

As was said above, the calendar is 12 months out.

The nurseries were huge time savers and baby/mom savers as well. Because of them we wasted no time going back and forth to the hotels and parks.

We stayed at Art of Animation and it was great. The food court in the hotel was nice and again saved us some time during the day.

Staying on and off property is a big question to ask. As some have stated you will save money by renting a house off property but on property for say a budget room (Art of Animation) last year was $119 a night. This year it's about 147. And that's a room with either a king or 2 queens. The pools were great but we never used them. We also got two free cups to use at our hotel for "free" drinks.

If you stay off property you do not get a chance to purchase a meal plan or get "free" Magic Bands. You can purchase the Bands and link them to your tickets but if you stay off property the ticket works like your Magic Band.

As for a meal plan, this depends on how you are as a family and how much you eat. For us it was great because I was able to prepay for food and then let me appetite and taste buds make the decisions during our stay. So when I wanted an ice cream or a fruit cup I could get one and the same if I wanted the Mahi Mahi or a steak. Plus the prepay allowed me to feel comfortable about spending money (since I didn't have to save X amount of money to be able to eat the rest of the week). We got the one sit down and one quick service meal (Regular Dining). We were so hot that we really each used a quick service for breakfast, and then one table service for dinner and wasn't very hungry for lunch so the snack was perfect. We also ate at a lot of character buffets so we weren't terribly hungry. If you eat more you may look at the Deluxe Dining which is 3 meals a day.

As for restaurants know that they charge $25 for a no show if you make reservations. This is to help cut down on the people who would make reservations for each park and then decide which one to eat at that day. Those can be made 6 months out.

Hope this all helps!!

• Like 2

thanks for the advice, you guys are definitely selling me on the art of animation.  The more I think of it, the less time I think we'd spend at the pool.  If we were there for a week, a great pool would be a huge bonus, but as we're just making a quick side trip from the gulf for a night (or 2 at most) then back to the beach until we head back north, we may not hit the pool at all.  Also the nursery option was a great tip, who packed do those get?  I'd love to go in May or october during less busy times, but wife is a teacher, and the oldest 2 are now in school, so that isn't much of an option at the moment.  I guess I need to wait about a week or two before checking availability/price then I'll make a decision on rooms.  Still a little over a year away.

• Like 3

If you're booking AOA, book a room in the Nemo or Lion King buildings, as they are closest to the main building, where you catch the bus and where the food court/gift shop are located.  The Little Mermaid is the furthest out.  I personally didn't mind Disney transport.  The only caveats I'd offer are that MK buses take longer to come/go than other parks' buses.  Oftenttimes, esp during early AM rush, it would be easier to hop on the first bus you see to any other park and then catch a bus (or monorail if from Epcot) to the MK. since they'll likely be sitting idle at their bus stops.  Also, starting in late afternoon, nonstop service really decreases from the hotel.  The bus will go to Disney Springs or the TTC, from which you'll take another bus.  The meal plans are great, but if your kids are picky eaters, by all means, save your money.  On my last trip w my kids we did the Regular Dining plan and found it to be too much food.  The idea of prepaying was great, but in practice, I found myself ordering steak just about every night, in order to get my moneys' worth out of the plan.  There are some good 3rd party websites that will help you crunch the numbers on the dining plans before you take the plunge.

• Like 4

If you want to save some money consider the hotels at Disney Springs, formerly Downtown Disney. They are off site but they work together with a shared bus system. They typically have a bus every 30 minutes which is similar to the on-site hotels. You do not get any of the benefits of staying on-site but the savings can make up for what you lose.

For crowds if you are not staying on-site avoid parks with extra magic hours. Typically crowd calendars are pretty accurate.

• Like 2

Agreed with Medford. Also download the app. It has food prices on there and that helped us as we used the app and outside websites to determine if it would be worth it for us.

We knew we would do a lot of character buffets. And some of the buffets ran 35-42 per person. So for 60/day it made sense to us. Good luck!

Also when it comes to stuff like this, helping people, these boards have some great knowledge.

• Like 2

Double post because the previous one was liked:

If you want to do a lot of character meet and greets and have them autograph books, I can't recommend enough the character meals.

During your hour or so with the meal (and it's A buffet so eat a bunch) you can have a little personal time with 4-6 characters. This saved us from using valuable ride time or Fast Passes on characters. It was also nice not to have to stand in a long line in the sun to meet Pooh or Mickey or Jake. This made it nicer for us all

• Like 3

Definitely make sure you do your research on the Dining Plan. I added up a conservative estimate of what I thought I'd spend on food and it was less than what the Dining Plan would cost, and the actual money spent ended up being even less than that. Plus I liked the flexibility of not having the dining plan. I could get what I wanted when I wanted, and didn't have to worry about consciously trying to get the more expensive food items to get the most "value" out of the plan. But if you do your research and are on top of ADRs (especially with character meals), you can get decent value out of a Dining Plan. However for 2 days, I probably wouldn't even bother.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just a few insights to help guide you through the process.  IF your biggest concern for a resort is close to the Magic Kingdom then you should stay at the Contemporary or Bay Lake Tower.  You can walk to the front gate of Magic Kingdom in under 10 minutes.  That cannot be understated.  No waiting at the TTS or a bus to get to the Front Gate.  We stayed at Bay Lake in December and it was worth every penny we spent on it.  Our daughter was less than a year old and our oldest was 7.  This was the most convenient Magic Kingdom resort I have every stayed at.  Your time is at a premium if only visiting 2 days and wanting to accomplish a lot, I personally wouldn't waste the hours of bus travel getting from other resorts to MK, also if you are doing EMH or Rope Drop you will need to add an extra 1 to 2 hours on to your early morning for bus travel.  That can be hard with a little one.

I would also highly recommend having a nice stroller for the little one.  More than just an umbrella stroller.  Something for them to nap in easily and a little batter powered fan is great to keep air circulating on them when napping.

Lastly even with huge crowds at MK, it is still very doable to hit what you want to ride.  I would highly recommend visiting www.easywdw.com for both crowd calendars and how to tour Magic Kingdom and avoid the crowds and lines even during the busiest of months.  Trust me it is worth having a plan before walking in the front gate.  Josh at EasyWDW does an awesome job of providing Free Detailed plans on how to best visit the parks.

Book now, prices will not drop.  They will only increase

• Like 2

Thanks for all the feedback.  Still can't book anything online, or even search past the turn of the calendar year.  The easyWDW site mentioned that you'd have to call this early rather than using a website, but that was in regards to the DVC, which we are not a part of, so perhaps I'll need to call this weekend and get things setup.

Mostly, what I'd like to figure out before I call are approx. prices of rooms.  I don't know if I can trust the current prices as a good guideline since I'm sure many of the rooms are already sold out for the next couple of months so not all of my options are available.  Does anyone know of a place that will give me approx prices of rooms?

• Like 2

Thanks for all the feedback.  Still can't book anything online, or even search past the turn of the calendar year.  The easyWDW site mentioned that you'd have to call this early rather than using a website, but that was in regards to the DVC, which we are not a part of, so perhaps I'll need to call this weekend and get things setup.

Mostly, what I'd like to figure out before I call are approx. prices of rooms.  I don't know if I can trust the current prices as a good guideline since I'm sure many of the rooms are already sold out for the next couple of months so not all of my options are available.  Does anyone know of a place that will give me approx prices of rooms?

You don't need to be a member of DVC to avail yourself of the DVC resorts, if you are using a member's points, which can be found on a number of trusted 3rd party sites.  There will def be 2017 dates on those sites, so you can browse to get an idea of what Bay Lake would cost.  Depending on what you want, the savings can be pretty good.

• Like 1

DVC does reserve the right to change up the points required for stays at any resort, which they did last year, so keep your eyes peeled for any news on that front.

Are you a DVC member? We just started so I would love to hear your thoughts about the program as someone who has used it for a while.

We were explained that the points change base on only a few things. So for example if a room changes from say a non preferred to a preferred view. Say the room went from a view of the woods/parking lot to a view of a park expansion. And the other thing is if the prime time season changes.

I'm sure I'll have more data as the years progress though :)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

ok, reviving this from the dead with an update.

I've booked a room for mid week, mid June, we'll be hitting the park on the 20th and 21st of June (Tuesday and Wednesday) then heading back to the gulf coast to finish our our vacation.  I noticed that Tuesday is an extended magic time at the Kingdom, I've read that can lead to much more crowded days, true?  Is it worth staying late?  I imagine my wife, daughter (will be 5) and youngest (will be 1.5) wouldn't mind heading back to the hotel, perhaps my son would want to stick around.  As an alternative, we may all go back and let the two older kids hit the pool while the youngest sleeps.

Next questions: 1) it looks like I can't schedule any of my fastpass+ options until 60s days out.  Any advice on how to best accomplish this?  I've read about hitting the site 60days out at 7:00 am sharp and being quick. What is best to book?

My wife, son and I would all love to do Space mountain, beyond that I'm not sure what my wife would love to do, other than enjoy time with the kids.  I know my son would love to do splash mountain, as would I.  I would love to do Big Thunder mountain, I'm sure my son would enjoy it as well, don't know if I can talk my daughter on to it or not.  She'll ride the pumpkin coaster, but won't ride Woodstock express (she's been on it twice, she promises me she'll ride it again when she's five, we shall see in a few months)  I don't think the infant can do any of those, but i remember taking out oldest on Pirates of the Carrabean when he was 1 as well as many other rides, so I know there is plenty to do for him.  Then there is 7 drawfs mine ride, which I'm guessing my son, wife and I would all like to do, don't know about the daughter and assume the youngest can't.

How best to split it up over 2 days?  Can I book lets say 7 dwarfs mine ride one day with my son while my wife does the same thing the next day?  what about later in the day, similar question with space mountain?  I keep seeing that Peter Pan is a popular fast plus + ride, I'm not sure why, I remember riding it 7 years ago and not thinking much of it, other than its a classic.

Since we are driving in from the gulf on Tuesday morning, I can't envision us getting there at rope drop, at least not predictably.

2nd question, my wife and daughter are scheduled to do the Bippity Boppity saloon on tuesday afternoon, immediately followed by dinner at the enchanted castle  The cost for dinner is $126 and change for the 2 of them, tips and tax included.  I haven't figured out if the meal plan is worth it.  If I get the two of them the regular dining plan for our 2 days, it would run roughly $183 (I don't know if that includes tax).  I believe they can use both "table service" credits, 1 from each day, at the royal table.  Is that correct?  Then they would have 1 additional quick service meal for each day, plus 2 snacks.  Seems like it would make sense for them to do this, but maybe not.  As far as my son and I, does it make much sense to quick service dining plan, can we do a different plan?  Since my prior post, he's now dairy, gluten and red die free.  I've read that Disney is very good at dealing with food allergies, but would his limits limit the use of a dining plan?  Staying at the hotel, we can always pack our own snacks that we know are gluten free.  Anyone with experience in this regard?

any other helpful hints at this point are appreciated.

Extra Magic Hour days to add to crowds, people with park hoppers will enter later in the day especially if the other parks are closed a lot earlier.

I would save Big Thunder Mountain Railroad as a possible 4th FastPass option since it is less likely to be gone compared to other rides like 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, Space Mountain and Peter Pan. You can book the FastPass in any combination you want, not everyone has to be on the same reservation. Peter Pan has one of the longest lines in the park because of the low capacity and it appeals to all ages. The problem seems to be that Fastpass is taken at a much higher priority compared to past. I heard it was something like 70% Fastpass, 30% standby but when I was there in December that didn't seem to be the case. When using Fastpass for some rides they would take 30 or 40 people from the Fastpass line and take 1 or 2 groups from the standby line and then go right back to the Fastpass line. Something else you can do is book a Fastpass for someone and they don't want to ride, someone else can use their Magic Band to use the Fastpass. So you could book 2 people for 1 coaster, 2 people for another coaster and have the same 2 people use both set of Fastpasses.

I think everyone in the room has to be on the same dining plan and everyone in the room has to get the dining plan if 1 person gets it. I have used both the regular dining plan and quick service dining plan and don't really think it's worth it since you have to order the more expensive items to get your money's worth and during a quick service meal, if you decide you don't feel like ordering  a $15 meal and would rather have the $8 pizza, you are probably losing money. I also thought it was too much food and the refillable mugs that I guess are built into the cost aren't really great since they only work in the hotel food courts. I would look at some menus at a few of the places and see what you would order and add up the cost and if paying out of pocket would be less than the dining plan.

I would also add  regarding the dining plan, if I remember correctly from my trip, Cinderella's Royal Table is a 2 credit restaurant, so I'd also put that in the column against getting the plan.

Extra Magic Hours do make for crowded days in the park they're in, but I also found that the later one at Magic Kingdom was a great time to hit some of the ride that had long lines during the day (It was 12AM-2AM so it was a very late night, but 7 Dwarves was only a 20-30 minute wait, with most other rides being walk ons). So I wouldn't rule out EMH because of the crowds necessarily. Maybe take a break at the hotel midday and rest up for a late night.

Just a few additional tips.  Use the rider swap program at the bigger rides like Space Mountain, 7 Dwarfs and Big Thunder since you have a young child.  This will give your older children multiple rides as the other parent returns to the FP+ line.  If memory serves the returning parent is allowed to bring 2 guests with them for the Rider Swap Return.  Also I would recommend using FP+ on PeterPan, 7 Dwarfs and SpaceMountain.  Highly Recommend looking at easywdw.com for great in park touring cheat sheets and FP+ booking.  Lastly on EMH evening days I would consider a Rope Drop morning with plans to leave the park by mid afternoon, because crowds will continue to build as the later extra hours approach.  We have always avoided EMH days at parks.  You might consider Animal Kingdom as a great park to visit instead of MK, especially with Pandora opening May 27th

Most Importantly Have Fun

I'll add a few thoughts as well:  The BBB is, in my opinion, vastly overpriced for what you get.  Crammed into a very small room underneath the archway of the castle, the services amount to a bit of hair and makeup.  I had my daughter do it on her first trip to the MK sev years ago, when she was 5, and recall that the $ spent could have been put towards other things there.  Not to mention that the product in her hair took a good deal of washing in the tub to rinse out!

The character meals are very good and give your little ones a good amount of 1-1 time with the characters, since they go from table to table, instead of everyone lining up to see them in the park.  I agree w others who've said the dining plan isn't worth it.  On my last trip there w the kiddos a couple of years back, we got the regular plan and it was waaayy too much food for the price.  You really feel tied down to getting a 4 course meal for lunch and dinner.  Just pay as you go-that way you won't feel guilty for ordering food you'll never eat.  And yes, everyone in your room must be on the same plan.  It's an all or nothing deal.

As for the FP, I would agree Peter Pan is worth using one on, since the lines get long quickly.  As for booking, Disney sometimes opens the booking windows at midnight ET on the 60th day out (no rhyme or reason to it), so to be safe, you may want to be near your cpu when the window opens.  My experience has been booking on a computer w a faster connection is better than the app on the go.  Easy wdw is a good source, but their touring plans really won't help if you get to the MK mid day.  Instead of the BBB, if the MK is hosting one of their after hours parties, I'd put the money towards that.  It's a hard ticket event, but most of the rides are open and lines are usually short.  If you did that, you could spend a few hours at the MK once you arrive using your FP and seeing what lines are short, then heading back to the hotel for swimming/rr/dinner before heading back to the park about an hour or so before the event.  the MK may be the smallest of the 4 parks (construction at DHS notwithstanding), but it's always the most crowded, so just bite it off in small chunks! enjoy!

And I'm in the opposite camp. We really like the meal plan. It allows us some freedom and it's cheaper than what we'd normally do.

We hit up almost all character buffets. They can range from 35-60/adult. The meal plan made it easier to eat the buffet and still eat lunch (or light dinner) plus a snack each day.

• Like 1

Agreed the meal plan is a much better option for us.  Honestly we like the Deluxe Dining Plan because we combined table service credits and will eat around 5-6 Signature Restaurants during our trip.  We come out ahead in the end when you figure each Signature bill costs between $200 - $300 for a family of 4.  Not to mention we will hit 3-4 character meals which are easily $150 each.  There is a big difference between Disney Quick Service/Counter Service and Table Service.  Folks that pay out of pocket are less likely to hit Table Service locations because of the cost, yet quality is so much better.  That is why the DDP is the way for us.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I need help with Disney whatever! World, Land it doesn't matter.

after searching and finding this post I don't feel so bad- 

I'm focusing on after I get caught up with contracted work, so it'll be two years

i've been looking at videos on YouTube, reading blogs, etc.,- planning this is going to be more work than a job!

i've been offered the trip, but I don't want to be That Guy that eats shrimp at parties and only offers tuna fish at his soirée, I want to be in my own realistic budget. Besides, I want to buy things like a Tivan Cosmo, and I'll need to save for things like that.

it looks as if there's more to do at 'Land, but the accommodations seem less expensive at 'World. 

I.e., I really like the idea of the Animators Resort, but it seems they don't have that in CA.

helphelphelphelphelp....