Disney World help

I prefer Disney Land over Disney World. There are only 2 parks but those 2 parks have more rides combined than the 4 parks at Disney World and there are a lot of great rides that are either no longer at Disney World or were never at Disney World. Most of the time, when both parks have the same rides, I found the Disney Land version of the ride to be much better such as Pirates of the Caribbean and Space Mountain. Disney Land also has a night parade and fireworks viewing is much better with the projections not just on the castle but also on the Matterhorn and It's A Small World compared to everyone crowding in front of the castle in Disney World.

I agree the on site hotels at Disney Land are expensive, we stayed at a Residence Inn a couple of miles from the parks for around $130 a night last year. We were considering staying 1 night at the Disney Land hotel but at around $500, that wasn't happening.

I also like the old style Fast Pass system at Disney Land better. It's nice not having to plan 30 or 60 days ahead where I am going to be at the park to ride in the Fast Pass window and having to book dining reservations at Disney World 180 days out for the more popular restaurants can be annoying. Also there is no tier for Fast Pass at Disney Land. It's frustrating that at a park like Hollywood Studios with only 5 rides, you can only get 1 Fast Pass for either Rock N Roller Coaster, Toy Story Mania and The Great Movie ride or only 1 of the 2 rides in Pandora at Animal Kingdom. Not everything on Fast Pass also helps lines move much faster at Disney Land. Using Pirates as an example, at Disney World, the line can be 30 - 45 minutes because Fast Pass now takes so much of the available rides. At Disney Land there was a long line that never stopped moving and it took less than 10 minutes. Even less popular rides like Journey Into Imagination can now get 25 - 40 minute waits in the middle of the day when before they were on Fast Pass, they were usually walk ons on all but the busiest days. At Disney Land, with the less popular rides standby only, they still get shorter waits compared to the same rides at Disney World.

• Like 1

You viewpoint plays into it big time.

i'm a rider. I went to DisneyWorld when I was young, (my dad did the electrical switch box for Tom Sawyar Island), and went to the park alone for a week- I had a grand time, but back then, people kept giving me ride tickets. 

the biggest overall memory was how nice all the cast members were.

I'll check into on site resorts to see if they have a two person closet. I'm thinking onsite so it doesn't muss the account. It's better to be a gracious guest, which is why I want to be penny-pinchy. Plus, I don't want something too fancy, I would feel out of place.

I can forego all that character business- I think it would be awkward for two adult hillbillies to be eating lunch while a princess, not eating lunch, sashays over for a chat.

my big problem with CA is plane travel; I know plane travel is safe, I just don't want TSA to steal all of my stuff. They even stole my mother's moisturizer last time she flew. That's the only ride I don't want to do.

1 hour ago, Tanna said:

my big problem with CA is plane travel; I know plane travel is safe, I just don't want TSA to steal all of my stuff. They even stole my mother's moisturizer last time she flew. That's the only ride I don't want to do.

There's a solution to that: EPIC ROAD TRIP!!!!! :D

• Like 1

Mind Reader! I was just looking that up. 35 hour drive, about the same as taking Amtrak.

And seeing Las Vegas on my own dime might be cool.

I was actually wondering about a rental car all that way... 

I've got two years, but to look at everything, especially the idiosyncrasies of DisneyLand, is going to take some research.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanna said:

35 hour drive, about the same as taking Amtrak.

Difference being that Amtrak will get you there in 35 hours, whereas by driving, you have to add time to eat and sleep somewhere, probably twice at minimum unless you have three or more people sharing the driving duties.

• Like 1

The thing that's bothering me about Amtrak is the route would have to be multi-city. 

It might be worth going by train if I can reason out a schedule without long stays in different cities.

Thanks all for the ideas. I'm glad I've got some time to work this out.

Paradise Pier Resort seems reasonable, but by the time I get there, it might be Avengers Tower.

Another favor to ask, What part of the year is a good time to go?

We just got back from World. May was a wonderful time. Not too hot or cold.

We didn't do the meal deal, ate when we were hungry and spent about $700, meal deal would have been 1200-1300... so that helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My favorite time of the year at either Disneyland or WDW is fall, starting late September through the first two weeks of December.  Plenty of limited time events, festivals, and the holidays.  The weather is typically fantastic and the crowds are normally not too bad as long as you stay away from Thanksgiving.  I have gone to Orlando every year for Halloween for close to 10 years straight now.  

At Disneyland I recommend staying across the street.  There are a number of hotels within walking distance.

Also try to make time to visit other parks beyond just Disney.  In California I would try to visit Universal Studios Hollywood and Knott's Berry Farm.  Knott's is a Cedar Fair park so a platinum pass works at the park.

• Like 1

Thanks, all.

(I saw they had both a Halloween and a Day of the Dead celebration- I would like that, but thought it would be crowded.)

it is good idea to see other parks, but Universal would have to Top Secret, as I have a Harry Potter niece, and simply can't afford a stowaway on this trip.

with the meal plan, honestly, I think those are for big eaters, thanks for the suggestion. 

Thanks, all.
(I saw they had both a Halloween and a Day of the Dead celebration- I would like that, but thought it would be crowded.)
it is good idea to see other parks, but Universal would have to Top Secret, as I have a Harry Potter niece, and simply can't afford a stowaway on this trip.
with the meal plan, honestly, I think those are for big eaters, thanks for the suggestion. 

Big eaters or expensive tastes. If you really plan to sit and kill 60/meal each then donit. Download the app for WDW and you can see food prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

We just got back from Disney World in May and most of the lines were less than 10-15 minutes.  We only waited for Space Mountain.  We also didnt even eat in the park we were having so much fun!  We didn't even think about food until we were walking on our way to the car.  Such an amazing time.  We are planning going back once Star Wars area opens.  

• Like 3