Wildfire at Kolmården

Anyone up for a trip to Sweden? This looks amazing.

161-foot drop at an 83-degree angle

Top speed of 70mph

Also, from the park's website:

Experience the world’s greatest wooden roller coaster. With three inversions, a top speed of 113 km/h, a drop angle of 83 and 12 airtime moments this ride will be a real game changer. Ready to breathe fire?
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Fire: The Great Enemy of Amusemen...

Oh.

Anyone else think the same thing before opening this?

What a bad name should the park make headlines....

I saw "Wildfire at Kolm[unresolved character symbol]rden," and thought of the wildfires in Arizona.  I had no idea there was a Kolmarden until reading this. Tells you how Kings Island-centric my amusement park knowledge is.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

It is being reported that Wildfire has had permits revoked and is now SBNO. Allegedly, they were revoked on the grounds of the ride having a larger environmental impact than expected, including noise levels. The Swedish court pointed out that no one has submitted a back-up plan for the environmental impact.

Coasterhub.com has an article on it that contains a link to a Swedish article. Here's a link to Coasterhub: http://coasterhub.com/archives/18575

The Swedish article indicates that there is no way for the court's decision to be appealed, but it may be able to stay if a plan is prepared and submitted. It will be interesting to see how this develops in the future. The article (after translated by Google) says, in essence, that the court's decision may require Kolmarden to tear the ride down.

• Like 2

As some one who deals with permits as part of my job (some municipalities are easier to deal with than others), I have to wonder how this coaster was approved in the first place.  It is one thing if the permit is denied after initial plans are submitted.  But it is different, and this appears to be the case here, that the ride was originally permitted.  Granted, it seems like the municipality is saying that the ride has a greater impact than originally proposed.  

Hopefully the park can file the necessary paper work and propose a viable solution so that they can receive their permit and reopen the ride.  I am sure the park would hate to have to tear down or drastically modify the ride, especially with the level of investment they have in the attraction.

• Like 2

I really hope the ride will not get removed, thinking about how much money the park spent on this without getting any of it back to build a replacement ride, also this thing looked like one of the sickest RMCs ever created, the idea to me is very uneasy and stupid considering how much tourism tax this would be bringing in for that area...

Yay my 700th post on KIC! 

• Like 1