Missouri road trip - tips & tricks?

I'm finalizing my trip to Missouri next week. I figure that there are at least a few people here that have spent some time at some of my destinations. As such, I would love any tips and tricks for places to visit or eat while visiting Springfield, IL, Kansas City, MO, Jefferson City, MO, and St. Louis, MO.

I know that I'm visiting the IN, IL, and MO Statehouses, Worlds of Fun, Six Flags, The Arch, City Museum, St. Louis Zoo, and St. Louis Science Center. Any "must know!" things about these places? 

Is there anything else not listed above that is a must see ? Especially in Springfield, Kansas City and Jefferson City?

Also...food. I can't do BBQ joints - are there good local places that I should check out? I want to avoid chain restaurants but tend to be cautious unless I have recommendations. 

Thank you for any advice! I appreciate it! :) 

• Like 4

If you're a pizza fan, I'd recommend Imo's! (Pronounced "eemoes.") It has super thin, crispy crust and tastes like no other pizza I've ever had. I know there are some around the St. Louis area, probably elsewhere in the region too.

In Jefferson City, if you're able to/into that kind of stuff, I'd recommend taking a tour of the old Missouri State Penitentiary. Very cool and creepy building. Overall, I was actually sort of underwhelmed by the city as a whole when I went there (It was a Saturday in the late afternoon and there were literally 5 people walking around) and most of the stores on the main street were closed, but it is a quaint little town. I'd definitely recommend walking around the statehouse, especially on the back side since it overlooks the Missouri River.

In St Louis, I'd recommend walking around Forest Park. Recently it was even voted as the best city park in the country. It's a very beautiful and relaxing area. I'm really into architecture, and downtown and some surrounding areas have some really interesting buildings, so if you like that stuff, it might just be fun to drive around and check everything out. Union Station (now a hotel) is one of my favorite buildings in the city.

If I think of anything else, I'll be sure to let you know! You'll have a great time!

• Like 2

In St Louis there is Laclede's Landing Wax Museum. It's not too far from the Arch. You can take a tour up and down the river on a paddle wheel boat. The St Louis Zoo is really nice.

If you are into museums, in Indianapolis - the Indianapolis Museum of Art, Children's Museum, Eiteljorg Museum (Native American history) the Circle, (all in downtown Indy) the Indianapolis Motor Speedway has a cool museum. Eagle Creek Park (not terribly far from IMS) is a great visit. I am not a huge fan of the zoo in Indy. It's just mediocre imo. I grew up in Indy, can probably come up with more.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The IN statehouse grounds are currently in the midst of a huge renovation in preparation for Indiana's bi centennial in the fall.  It would be best to avoid the area as the streets in and around the Statehouse have either limited or no access during construction.  The Indy zoo is readying goodbyes for its resident polar bear, who, after nearly 30 years is headed to greener pastures in Detroit.  The exhibit closes at the end of June, so if you like polar bears, check it out.  If you're into coaster credits, there is a kiddie coaster there made by Zierer that's available to ride.  The orangutan exhibit is also worth seeing as well.  While not a big zoo, it can be a nice 1/2 day adventure. 

• Like 3

If you're a pizza fan, I'd recommend Imo's! (Pronounced "eemoes.") It has super thin, crispy crust and tastes like no other pizza I've ever had. I know there are some around the St. Louis area, probably elsewhere in the region too.

In Jefferson City, if you're able to/into that kind of stuff, I'd recommend taking a tour of the old Missouri State Penitentiary. Very cool and creepy building. Overall, I was actually sort of underwhelmed by the city as a whole when I went there (It was a Saturday in the late afternoon and there were literally 5 people walking around) and most of the stores on the main street were closed, but it is a quaint little town. I'd definitely recommend walking around the statehouse, especially on the back side since it overlooks the Missouri River.

In St Louis, I'd recommend walking around Forest Park. Recently it was even voted as the best city park in the country. It's a very beautiful and relaxing area. I'm really into architecture, and downtown and some surrounding areas have some really interesting buildings, so if you like that stuff, it might just be fun to drive around and check everything out. Union Station (now a hotel) is one of my favorite buildings in the city.

If I think of anything else, I'll be sure to let you know! You'll have a great time!

I'll have to check out Imo's. As much as I eat pizza for work, I still like it! 

Looked at the tour times and they don't match the small frame of time I'll end up being there. I'll have to look it for next time. 

Thank you! 

• Like 1

In St Louis there is Laclede's Landing Wax Museum. It's not too far from the Arch. You can take a tour up and down the river on a paddle wheel boat. The St Louis Zoo is really nice.

If you are into museums, in Indianapolis - the Indianapolis Museum of Art, Children's Museum, Eiteljorg Museum (Native American history) the Circle, (all in downtown Indy) the Indianapolis Motor Speedway has a cool museum. Eagle Creek Park (not terribly far from IMS) is a great visit. I am not a huge fan of the zoo in Indy. It's just mediocre imo. I grew up in Indy, can probably come up with more.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to the St. Louis Zoo and exploring around the Arch. 

For Indianapolis, unfortunately I only have time for lunch and the statehouse...maybe a walk around the circle. When I visited a few years ago, I managed to hit the Indianapolis Museum of Art,  Indianapolis Children's Museum (which I LOVED), and the zoo. I'll have to keep the other places you mentioned in mind for my next visit. :)

The IN statehouse grounds are currently in the midst of a huge renovation in preparation for Indiana's bi centennial in the fall.  It would be best to avoid the area as the streets in and around the Statehouse have either limited or no access during construction.  The Indy zoo is readying goodbyes for its resident polar bear, who, after nearly 30 years is headed to greener pastures in Detroit.  The exhibit closes at the end of June, so if you like polar bears, check it out.  If you're into coaster credits, there is a kiddie coaster there made by Zierer that's available to ride.  The orangutan exhibit is also worth seeing as well.  While not a big zoo, it can be a nice 1/2 day adventure. 

Thanks! Knowing about the construction is good to know. I'll have to give myself some extra time. I went to the zoo a few years ago one December and was able to see everything then. As you said, it's not a big zoo but wasn't a bad one. There are dolphins and I got to pet a shark - haven't been able to do either at the Columbus Zoo!

• Like 1

Because I know you obviously like amusement parks since you post here... If AT ALL possible, do yourself a HUGE favor and see if there's ANY way you can add a trip to Branson to your itinerary. I know it's a 3-4 hour detour, which is lots of extra time and gas, but Silver Dollar City is far and away one of the finest amusement parks that I have ever visited. They don't have many big thrill rides, but the ones they have are awesome and it's just a fantastic place to walk around and enjoy the ambiance. And what they lack in rides, they make up in themeing, food, live entertainment, friendly staff, and atmosphere. Nothing I could possibly put into words can convey how great I think that park is. Seriously. You will be so glad you made the detour. Silver Dollar City is so immersive and well-themed that it makes Dollywood, another one of the finest parks I've ever been to, look bland by comparison.

As for the other places, my personal recommendation when it comes to the amusement parks you already plan on visiting would be to visit Worlds of Fun before Six Flags. Most of the major rides at WoF have a parallel at Six Flags St. Louis, but SFStL has many things that aren't comparable to anything at WoF. Both are very good parks, don't get me wrong, but if you're anything like me, you may find yourself underwhelmed if you visit Worlds of Fun immediately after Six Flags St. Louis.

• Like 2

In St Louis, I'd recommend walking around Forest Park. Recently it was even voted as the best city park in the country. It's a very beautiful and relaxing area.

I'll second Forest Park.  You mentioned going to the St. Louis Zoo so you'll already be in Forest Park.  The St. Louis Art Museum is also in the same complex.  You'll have an excellent time there.  If you are in the Forest Park area you'll be close to the Hill.  There are some really nice Italian restaurants in that part of town, and you'll definitely want to stop at a place called Gelato di Riso for an after-meal treat.  Their gelato is excellent, and you'll want to get the lemon and blueberry sorbetto in the same cup.  It's one of my favorite summertime treats anywhere in the US.

Kansas City has a lot to offer.  Some of my favorite places there are:

• Crown Center.  Near Hallmark's headquarters, there's a shopping mall, aquarium and some other cool things to do there.  It's also indoors - which can come in really handy during those really warm KC summertime days.  If you get a chance I'd highly recommend seeing a production at Musical Theater Heritage.  Shows run Thursday - Sunday.  The venue is very similar to the Shelterhouse at Playhouse in the Park, but the upshot to their productions is that they use a live orchestra to accompany the performance.  It's a really neat experience.
  • Power & Light District.  This area near downtown KC is just vibrant.  Lots of restaurants, shops and nightlife in a very modern yet clean, safe environment. 
  • The Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts.  It's a few blocks away from the Power & Light district, and if you get a chance to see a performance or do a tour there during the day (reservations required) definitely do it.  That building is a real work of art.

Kansas City doesn't have a lot of top-flight non-BBQ restaurants IMO.  My personal best bets are:

• Stroud's - Oak Ridge Manor.  The fried chicken is what they're known for - and it's good - but the best items on the menu are the mashed potatoes and gravy and the cinnamon rolls.  The rolls are seriously addictive.  Make sure you get a few rolls to go because they make great travel snacks!
  • PotPie.  Located in the Westport district, it's a quaint American-style restaurant with plenty of French influence.  The story behind how the restaurant got its name is very interesting.
  • Velvet Crème Popcorn.  A cute popcorn shop located on the Kansas side of KC.  If you stop here make sure you get the white chocolate almond popcorn (yes, it's as amazing as it sounds) and the honey cinnamon almonds.   
  • Like 3

I will try to think about a decent place downtown Indy to eat.

There are lots of good places to eat downtown.  Lets begin with the Mass Ave corridor.  The Eagle is a small chain out of cincy featuring amazing fried chicken.  For pizza, there is bazbeaux.  For burgers, Bru burger is right there as well.  Further down for dessert there is sub-zero, which is a dry-ice ice cream shop.  In the heart of downtown are lots of options-everything from steakhouses down to burgers and fries and sandwiches.  In the Virginia Ave and Fountain Sq area are Milktooth, Bluebeard and Cerullean (the latter is located inside the Alexander hotel).  In other words, you have lots of choices!

• Like 2

One of my cousins was hit in the face with a flying roll at Lamberts from across the room.

Uh... what the...? Clearly I'm missing something here.

Lambert's Cafe - Home of Throwed Rolls

http://www.throwedrolls.com

My mom's been dying to take us there someday.

Somehow I'm reminded of the time when a baseball mascot threw a hot dog into the stands and hit someone in the eye, causing a detached retina and a lawsuit that took several years and two trials to resolve.

• Like 2

Because I know you obviously like amusement parks since you post here... If AT ALL possible, do yourself a HUGE favor and see if there's ANY way you can add a trip to Branson to your itinerary. I know it's a 3-4 hour detour, which is lots of extra time and gas, but Silver Dollar City is far and away one of the finest amusement parks that I have ever visited. They don't have many big thrill rides, but the ones they have are awesome and it's just a fantastic place to walk around and enjoy the ambiance. And what they lack in rides, they make up in themeing, food, live entertainment, friendly staff, and atmosphere. Nothing I could possibly put into words can convey how great I think that park is. Seriously. You will be so glad you made the detour. Silver Dollar City is so immersive and well-themed that it makes Dollywood, another one of the finest parks I've ever been to, look bland by comparison.

As for the other places, my personal recommendation when it comes to the amusement parks you already plan on visiting would be to visit Worlds of Fun before Six Flags. Most of the major rides at WoF have a parallel at Six Flags St. Louis, but SFStL has many things that aren't comparable to anything at WoF. Both are very good parks, don't get me wrong, but if you're anything like me, you may find yourself underwhelmed if you visit Worlds of Fun immediately after Six Flags St. Louis.

Thanks! I wish I had time to add in Branson but there's just not enough time for this trip. There's a lot I'd want to see there and wouldn't feel right giving it just a day. I'm hitting Worlds of Fun this evening/tmw morning and then Six Flags a few days later. Wanted to avoid parks on the weekend but couldn't with the travel schedule. I figured doing the touristy stuff in St. Louis would be better than the weekend. :)

• Like 1

I'll second Forest Park. You mentioned going to the St. Louis Zoo so you'll already be in Forest Park. The St. Louis Art Museum is also in the same complex. You'll have an excellent time there. If you are in the Forest Park area you'll be close to the Hill. There are some really nice Italian restaurants in that part of town, and you'll definitely want to stop at a place called Gelato di Riso for an after-meal treat. Their gelato is excellent, and you'll want to get the lemon and blueberry sorbetto in the same cup. It's one of my favorite summertime treats anywhere in the US.

Kansas City has a lot to offer. Some of my favorite places there are:

• Crown Center. Near Hallmark's headquarters, there's a shopping mall, aquarium and some other cool things to do there. It's also indoors - which can come in really handy during those really warm KC summertime days. If you get a chance I'd highly recommend seeing a production at Musical Theater Heritage. Shows run Thursday - Sunday. The venue is very similar to the Shelterhouse at Playhouse in the Park, but the upshot to their productions is that they use a live orchestra to accompany the performance. It's a really neat experience.
  • Power & Light District. This area near downtown KC is just vibrant. Lots of restaurants, shops and nightlife in a very modern yet clean, safe environment.
  • The Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts. It's a few blocks away from the Power & Light district, and if you get a chance to see a performance or do a tour there during the day (reservations required) definitely do it. That building is a real work of art.
Kansas City doesn't have a lot of top-flight non-BBQ restaurants IMO. My personal best bets are:
  • Stroud's - Oak Ridge Manor. The fried chicken is what they're known for - and it's good - but the best items on the menu are the mashed potatoes and gravy and the cinnamon rolls. The rolls are seriously addictive. Make sure you get a few rolls to go because they make great travel snacks!
  • PotPie. Located in the Westport district, it's a quaint American-style restaurant with plenty of French influence. The story behind how the restaurant got its name is very interesting.
  • Velvet Crème Popcorn. A cute popcorn shop located on the Kansas side of KC. If you stop here make sure you get the white chocolate almond popcorn (yes, it's as amazing as it sounds) and the honey cinnamon almonds.
Great food suggestions! You had me at popcorn. Will absolutely have to check this out tmw. Thanks!

And thanks everyone for your suggestions! The trip so far has been lovely and I'm not even a full day in.

• Like 1