WDW: Alligator reportedly drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

I think too many people, especially people on vacation, have this feeling that rules don't apply to them because they're paying good money for this trip and they'll do what they want.  Or perhaps they have the mindset that something like that could never happen to them.  Regardless of what it is, I wish people would take signs and warnings more seriously.  It's sad to hear of all these tragedies that could've been prevented had someone just followed the rules.

I'm guilty of this myself. This past spring break we went to Hawaii and I on more than one occasion swam and jumped off rocks and other things that probably weren't the smartest thing to do. I wouldn't say it was because I paid good money and can do what I want, it's probably more that I'm super adventurous and a daredevil (AKA stupid) and a few signs aren't going to infringe on that.  

• Like 2

Alligators can climb, fences may not have helped.

A fence with proper signage: "BEWARE!! DO NOT ENTER THE WATER OR FEED THE ALLIGATORS" would have been a step in the right direction.

If this is the only information to come out, Disney totally dropped the ball on this one & we will not hear of a settlement- but it will certainly be in the 7 digit range.

• Like 5

Not that it matters much but on my travels this morning a news report on 700 WLW or NPR (honestly I was radio surfing) stated that a fence couldn't be built because WDW has a contract/deal in place with the state that says the water ways are part of a natural preserve which was part of the agreement when the park was built on the swamp/wet lands.

First I had heard of that but if it's true that would explain why they relocate bigger gators and not kill them.

**same report said he park removes bigger gators and rehomes them elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I visit Disney many times a year and can tell you this.....

At every large body of water, whether its Seven Seas Lagoon or the small ponds/lakes at other resorts, there are posted signs along the waterfront. They do not particularly warn about wildlife, but they do say "Absolutely no swimming or wading in water". They are on large wooden posts in the actual water. (I will look through my photos to see if I happened to catch on of these in the background) I have seen them almost every visit. Now I can also tell you that Disney/Florida Wildlife does regularly catch Alligators and release them in a specified zone about 5-10 miles away from the park, but they have to meet certain lengths and widths. I believe if they are under 4 feet they stay put. Not trying to direct blame here at all, but there's not much more Disney could have done...

• Like 3

^^ Well, they could not set up beach chairs and sand at an area that they know is home to alligators. Maybe save that for around the pools. I don't really blame Disney but I do hope they make some big changes to prevent this in the future. Alligator warning signs for one, and maybe closing off that beach for another.

I always thought "no swimming" signs also meant no wading in the water, but I still don't blame the parents. The more I think about it, I feel like this could have happened even if he was on land just NEAR the beach not breaking any rules. It's just a horrible accident and I feel nothing but sympathy for them. I hope they have their privacy to grieve.

• Like 5

This has me hesitant to swim in Western lake this year on vacation, which I have done for years without incident, knowing full well there are gators somewhere in the lake. Although they usually stay far away.

• Like 1

Knowing only what I've heard through the media, I would chalk this up to a true accident. Images I've seen indicate that this is an artificial white sand beach at the most deluxe of all Walt Disney World deluxe hotels, which certainly gives the impression that it's swimmable.

That being said, a sign that says "No Swimming" to me would not be inferred as "Wading Okay." It's a strange bit of childlike thinking in my mind to think from that perspective. "Well you said I couldn't have cake before dinner, so I had pie!" Sure, the argument can and will be made that they weren't swimming; they were wading, and thus Disney's signage was inadequate. But, c'mon. It's a little odd to me that anyone would have to be so specific as to say "Do not enter the water." And then, people would bring inner tubes and say, "I didn't enter the water!"

When I walk by my local pond and see "No Swimming," it doesn't occur to me that I could or should wade, float, dive, cannonball, or splash around. I take it as "Stay out the water." I do think Disney faulted here by not being clear that their "No Swimming" is for a much different reason that my local pond's "No Swimming." Alligator signs are a no-brainer now and if these animals are as widespread as we're now coming to understand, then yes, they should've been posted at each beach or potential beach just when a beach is closed for a shark warning or a jellyfish warning. 

• Like 6

Just a few updates and thoughts on this tragedy.

The Jungle Cruise immediately changed their spiel about children being left behind on the boat will be fed to the crocodiles.  

Also the issue with many of the gators at Disney is they have lost their fear of humans because guests constantly feed them.  I fear that this gator may have come close hoping for food from this family and things went terribly wrong after that.  Also having an almost 2 year old myself, children this age have little fear of things.  I imagine this child if he saw the gator did not fear it, instead thought it more along the lines of a toy or something and did not alert his parents.

• Like 8

Hmm, I couldn't find such an article a few days ago. Disney must have used a good broom. He has brave brother and sister, mine would have left me there.

I vote swimming for Grr.

• Like 1

So, if they can't use fences, what about other types of barriers?

Something needs to be done, other than any signage. I agree Tggr, those people are not swimming in your photo.

Not taking any side here but what can they do besides drain the lakes? I mean Gators climb fences and are found in swimming pools. So you can't even chlorinate the water. It would kill other things but the Gators would be there.

You could close the beaches completely but many love the walking on the beach. You could close the water ways but people love going out on the water.

Here are my ideas:

Maybe step up patrols to take out and relocate gators of certain sizes (maybe lower the size that they need to be). If the park is part of a preserve (as I heard in a report) they can't block the gators from coming in.

Enforce the no feeding of the gators.

Post signs and educate guests about not just the gators but other water animals. There is a 30-45 minute video that's played on Disney Transport from the airport to the hotels. This would be a perfect time to explain about the wild life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3