WDW: Alligator reportedly drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

When I went to WDW with my high school band, we performed in one of the parks. It was made /very/ clear that we were not to take any photos of backstage areas. And we were only there for an hour or so.

I agree she should not have been rehired. That showed a real lack of respect for the company and poor judgment.

• Like 3

I disagree, I think she exposed Disney telling employee to mislead customers, Disney did the wrong thing by firing her when if they didn't listen to her to begin with. Given the recent death, Disney should not be telling their employees to tell the visitors such lies about gators.

I further believe that offering her job back was the right to do, she stood for her morals and the safety of others.

More details here:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-disney-gator-employee-twitter-fired-20160715-story.html

• Like 7

I disagree, I think she exposed Disney telling employee to mislead customers, Disney did the wrong thing by firing her when if they didn't listen to her to begin with. Given the recent death, Disney should not be telling their employees to tell the visitors such lies about gators.

I further believe that offering her job back was the right to do, she stood for her morals and the safety of others.

More details here:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-disney-gator-employee-twitter-fired-20160715-story.html

So should they tell kids that Mickey isn't real either? Or that tinkerbell doesn't actually fly during Wishes?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

More details here:

So should they tell kids that Mickey isn't real either? Or that tinkerbell doesn't actually fly during Wishes?

Fairy tale feel good stories.

Real life dangers.

Apples.

Oranges.

• Like 11

Disney World is just an amusement park with a movie studio budget, the majority of the children know it isn't real. Most children realize they favorite character isn't real by school age. We all know that Halloween Haunt isn't real, that the monsters aren't supposed to touch us however the point of walking through the mazes is to see if they can scare us.

• Like 2

Are you saying by the 4th & 5th grade?  or by age 4 or 5?

I assume you mean by age 4 or 5, as both of my kids knew by that age that the cartoon characters are not real.  However, super heroes, most definitely real, just ask my son (age 7 when this came up) because he met Captain America at Kings Island :)

• Like 2

It's all preserving the magic. Plus did you guys read the sign our just the headline? The sign told them to say "we haven't seen any yet but if you do let any cast member know and we'll let pest management know."

That isn't lying to anyone.

Point blank she broke a company policy. She was rightfully termed, as cast members say. I don't think she deserved her job back.

They are aware of the gators and conducted numerous round ups of larger/aggressive gators.  They placed multiple No Swimming Signs but opted to leave off the Alligators part, right or wrong that was their initial choice.  Shades of Green which sits on Disney Property across from the Polynesian has multiple Alligator warning signs and I have seen multiple Alligators there.  

• Like 2

Are you saying by the 4th & 5th grade? or by age 4 or 5?

I assume you mean by age 4 or 5, as both of my kids knew by that age that the cartoon characters are not real. However, super heroes, most definitely real, just ask my son (age 7 when this came up) because he met Captain America at Kings Island :)

4/5th grade for live action characters (Santa, movies tv shows etc). Cartoons it's around k they learn it's not real. The drawings help. Kids have a hard tim of fact vs fiction until the shift of knowledge from teacher directed to student directed.

Plus it's an average. Some kids kno shows are not real at kindergarten. Some kids in 6 grade think cartoons are real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

It's all preserving the magic. Plus did you guys read the sign our just the headline? The sign told them to say "we haven't seen any yet but if you do let any cast member know and we'll let pest management know."

That isn't lying to anyone.

Point blank she broke a company policy. She was rightfully termed, as cast members say. I don't think she deserved her job back.

Employees have seen gators. Not sure if they were cast members or who saw them, but employees have seen them. 

• Like 3

But had that cast member seen them? Did they see them that day? If any of those are no then they are not lying and still broke company policy. If they had seen them and did nothing they broke standard operating procedures. Either way they are in the wrong and got what they deserved. As an college program participant they knew better and knew what would happen to them.

Saying did they see them that day is playing semantics. Employees have seen them in the past and management has/had ignored the sightings/warnings. I'm sure they are still being seen, even though they haven't attacked anyone as of late. 

• Like 5

Of course Cast Members have seen them. Guests see them. Especially now, Twitter is filled with photos of small to medium alligators in the Rivers of America. They don't ignore the sightings / warnings - they contact local animal control (perhaps even Reedy Creek's, I don't know) to relocate larger animals.

Regardless, it seems to me that there's a moral if not legal duty to tell the truth in situations like this.

This post on the door is absolutely not a directive from Disney. Some cutesy 20-something shift leader probably thought it would be "helpful" to whip this up in Microsoft Word. Hopefully that Cast Member is terminated. (Likely. Disney is a very large and impersonal organization on the inside. If you're late to a shift, you're gone. Why not? There are dozens waiting to take your place. The parks are also infamous for making very pretty, very young women shift supervisors and managers, which is occasionally a problem, and I suspect this is a symptom of that.)

• Like 8

Sorry Colonel, when I go camping I don't have to have seen a raccoon "that day" to know if I don't clean up my site and secure my food that it will be gone before the night is done. So should the park ranger tell the campers " We have not seen any raccoons today so feel free to leave you food out and don't bother putting your trash in the dumpster before bed. Let me know if you see one. " ?

• Like 8

Are you saying by the 4th & 5th grade? or by age 4 or 5?

I assume you mean by age 4 or 5, as both of my kids knew by that age that the cartoon characters are not real. However, super heroes, most definitely real, just ask my son (age 7 when this came up) because he met Captain America at Kings Island :)

4/5th grade for live action characters (Santa, movies tv shows etc). Cartoons it's around k they learn it's not real. The drawings help. Kids have a hard tim of fact vs fiction until the shift of knowledge from teacher directed to student directed.

Plus it's an average. Some kids kno shows are not real at kindergarten. Some kids in 6 grade think cartoons are real.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And worse, kids can accept some realities and insist on pixie dust on other facts. We had a Czechlosovakian immigrant living with us when I was young, who presented me with a huge Disney book, that showed the animatronics of the presidents and bears, and strangely, that was the magic for me, that people could that, and that I could possibly do that. We built electric kiddy kits like record players and radios for that someday.

But please recall earlier in this thread, the tram driver warned me about gators, and I shrugged it off as a wives's tale or a joke. I was older, knew the Country Bears were machines since I was five, but insisted that a real danger was a fairy tale. And the aura of being in a Disney park compounds the reality fracture.

Of course, cast members of the park see gators all the time. I'm wondering if a cast member sees a gator that day, and a guest asks, must they, in being truthful, defer the guest to another cast member who didn't see a gator that day?

The semantics are bothersome, to say the least.

• Like 1

Sorry Colonel, when I go camping I don't have to have seen a raccoon "that day" to know if I don't clean up my site and secure my food that it will be gone before the night is done. So should the park ranger tell the campers " We have not seen any raccoons today so feel free to leave you food out and don't bother putting your trash in the dumpster before bed. Let me know if you see one. " ?

By that common sense then this family should know every body of water has gators

By that common sense then this family should know every body of water has gators

No, the Ranger knows about the raccoons as do the Disney Employees. The camper from the city may know nothing about the woods that is why he camps in a state park. He asks the ranger questions.

• Like 3