Which Ride Will Leave Next

Tien Shinhan

I really hope that Boo Blasters lasts. The idea behind the ride is fantastic- but when they re-themed it from Scooby Doo, it was a really lazy fix.. A band aid really. (Slap a new head on the frightened tourist, put a mask over organ shaggy, not bother with the fact that boxes of ink and bank safes don't make sense in Boocifers castle full of potions) I think a little TLC to get the effects fully functional, and tighten up the theming would do the ride wonders. And even still, every time I've been there, ridership for Boo Blasters is good. I don't see it leaving- but I do sincerely hope it gets the attention it needs.

The Vortex is so rough for me. I've come to avoid it completely because it leaves me with a sore neck and a headache that ruins the rest of my day. And it used to be my absolute favorite so that kills me. But, I have been hearing rumors that The Vortex would soon be removed for various reasons for the last 10 years, yet there it stands to brutalize another day. I don't see it going anywhere. It's a staple and so many people still love it. It's like the Daryl Dixon of coasters, little rough around the edges, beautiful to look at, and if it were to disappear- there may be rioting.

The Bat is my most likely candidate for giving its last rides in the next 5-10 years. Coasters of its kind haven't faired well of late. Ridership appears to be pretty low (probably because it's not worth the walk for most folks), and it opens up some space for a potential addition/revamping of the Action Zone someday.

Invertigo- I can see this leaving soon as well. If only for the fact that Cedar Fair tends to move coasters to their other parks when expanding or changing things at another of their parks. There are some CF parks that I can see getting/needing a boomerang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I really hope that Boo Blasters lasts. The idea behind the ride is fantastic- but when they re-themed it from Scooby Doo, it was a really lazy fix.. A band aid really. (Slap a new head on the frightened tourist, put a mask over organ shaggy, not bother with the fact that boxes of ink and bank safes don't make sense in Boocifers castle full of potions) I think a little TLC to get the effects fully functional, and tighten up the theming would do the ride wonders. And even still, every time I've been there, ridership for Boo Blasters is good. I don't see it leaving- but I do sincerely hope it gets the attention it needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YEa I hope they don't get rid of the omnimover ride system there but I'd be fine with a new theme. Boo Blasters does seem to be decently popular still but seeing as it's the only dark ride in the park, as well as an air conditioned indoor ride, and in the kids area probably helps those rider numbers. I think the popularity has much more to do with these factors than the theme itself does.

Wouldn't mind it being changed to a new theme that is a non-shooting dark ride as well, especially if we get an interactive Triotech one elsewhere in the park. Be nice to have one for shooting things and one that you can just ride through.

• Like 1

The problem with non-shooting dark rides has been that without something to keep guests busy, too many guests find ways to keep busy--ways incompatible with family rides, unless you mean producing one.

I'm still amazed the gun control groups haven't gone after parks for having shooting rides. After all, if a second grader can be suspended for two days for chewing his pastry into a gun shape and "shooting" classmates...

Terp, cross-threadin'

• Like 8

Vortex was still in the top 5 rides ridden in 2015. Just because it's older doesn't mean it needs removed. It's still a good ride, to each there own.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Wow, I'm really surprised by that. In a positive way, I mean.

Is that all rides at the park, or just coasters? If it's just coasters, much less surprising/impressive.

It's purely anecdotal and not mathematically/statistically accurate data, I know, but I've not waited more than a few (<5) minutes to ride it in recent years. Almost never see a full train. Just seems like it's hardly ridden from observation on days I'm there.

• Like 1

Vortex has always been a huge people mover.  Even when the lines extended outside of the que entry and there was an actual need for the painted symbols along the pavement, the line moved quickly.  Once you entered the que entrance, IIRC, it was roughly a 15 min wait.

• Like 3

Let's give you a few ideas on what should be removed, and what the park may or may not keep in mind.

Maintenance work... Does it cost a lot to maintain? Is it down all the time (For something not Weather related) 

Low Ridership... Who is riding the ride still? Kids? Adults? How many people actually still ride the ride on a yearly basis? 

Given those things... Congo Falls is honestly the only thing I could see leaving soon...

When is the last time you've seen a line past 15 minutes on Congo Falls? Probably not since it's opening year as Amazon Falls.

• Like 3

The problem with non-shooting dark rides has been that without something to keep guests busy, too many guests find ways to keep busy--ways incompatible with family rides, unless you mean producing one.

I'm still amazed the gun control groups haven't gone after parks for having shooting rides. After all, if a second grader can be suspended for two days for chewing his pastry into a gun shape and "shooting" classmates...

Terp, cross-threadin'

Correction: they would be expelled, not suspended.

Terp, cross-threadin'

Correction: they would be expelled, not suspended.

That entire thing was completely asinine. Anyone involved with that should have been immediately terminated and barred from ever working in education again.

• Like 5

I don't see Back Lot Stunt Coaster going anywhere any time soon. 1) It's not that old 2) It's a great intermediate coaster for kids like my son who are not tall enough or brave enough to ride Diamonback or Banshee or Flight of Fear or Firehawk. Not to mention not tall enough. 

• Like 3

Let's give you a few ideas on what should be removed, and what the park may or may not keep in mind.

Maintenance work... Does it cost a lot to maintain? Is it down all the time (For something not Weather related) 

Low Ridership... Who is riding the ride still? Kids? Adults? How many people actually still ride the ride on a yearly basis? 

Given those things... Congo Falls is honestly the only thing I could see leaving soon...

When is the last time you've seen a line past 15 minutes on Congo Falls? Probably not since it's opening year as Amazon Falls.

I could see that happening now that you mention it. I don't ride Congo Falls much because I think White Water Canyon and RFYLCB are way better water rides

I dont think The Bat, Vortex, WindSeeker, or Boo Blasters will be here in the next 5 to 10 years, though I hope that if Boo Blasters leaves that the Omnimover system stays and I hope it keeps a creepy theme whether its Peanuts Great Pumpkin, or Phantom Theater, or something along the lines. I think Great Pumpkin is the most likely canidate and I would be fine with that. As for The Bat, I just think that its almost ran its course with all the name changes it's had and such. When it was "Top Gun" and brand new, it was always packed with everybody dying to ride it. Now its the ride you go to if you dont want to wait longer then 5 minutes. I love The Bat and always have but I see it leaving soon with Banshee now dominating the area. WindSeeker is always shut down, although I dont know what the park would do with the small space that it occupies. I think it will leave sooner than later due to being closed frequently. With Vortex, I HOPE that it stays, but given its age, and fairly short lines, I think it is most likely to go first before all the other rides, though I hope it doesn't! And possibly even Invertigo, although it always has a long line and is a very unique coaster at the Island, but I could possibly see it go sooner than later. I never want to see a ride go, although I realize that it is inevitable. Just my opinions, MaestroJr.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

There was always two coasters I've drawn up in my mind that I'd see for removal because of the land they sit on would provide prime locations for new coasters. That being said I always thought a B&M floorless coaster would fit nicely in the current plot The Vortex currently sits, and a German themed Mack launched / blitz coaster were the Adventure Express currently sits. I find it tho very conflicting in my head because it would include removing the first coaster I have ever ridden.

• Like 2

Now, before everybody freaks out on NewDay420 for suggesting that, think about it. A couple of parks have lost their racing coasters from the 70's recently. Racer is most certainly not the most popular ride. I know that nostalgia runs deep with a lot of people (including me!) with it, but at some point it does need to go. For years we've suggested a repaint, retracking, or for one side to go backwards again. Yet, we see no changes.

• Like 2