Oasis of the Seas Video Trip Report: Not Your Typical Trip Report

RailRider

There was a time in this sites history where I would spend hours upon hours posting pictures and telling the story of our most recent adventure.  Be it Disneyland, Walt Disney World or even Kings Island.  For good or bad the site has changed dramatically since those days and trip reports of that nature are no longer feasible.  

Which brings me to this Trip Report.  I am trying something new.  A video trip report or greatest highlights from our recent family vacation this past May aboard Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas.  Yes I know this is not a theme or amusement park, but it still falls within the Leisure Travel Industry and there is a carousel aboard the ship.

Oasis of the Seas is considered one of the Largest Cruise Liners at sea, carrying roughly 6,000 passengers and weighing over 225.000 tons.  Big does not do this ship justice.  The amenities and neighborhoods on this ship are breathtaking and truly make for a floating resort/city.

The cruise itself left from Ft. Lauderdale FL and made stops in Labadee Haiti, Falmouth Jamaica, and Cozumel Mexico.  The video covers some ship and port highlights.  Enjoy the video and let me know your thoughts.  Feel free to ask any questions and most importantly enjoy relieving our trip.

Footage was shot with a GoPro Hero3+ Silver 

• Like 4

Sailed the Eastern Caribbean route on Oasis in mid May, and it was fabulous! You're right, the word BIG does not do this ship any justice. The word ENORMOUS doesn't even do it any justice. You just have to see for yourself how large this ship is. The neighborhoods are awesome too (Central Park was my long shot favorite). Great video!

• 2 weeks later...

What are your thoughts on this size ship? We have been on some of the smaller ships in the past, when they were the biggest around, and we really enjoyed ourselves. How busy did the pools/shows/food venues feel? Was loading and unloading a hassle? Just trying to get some ideas for our next cruise, Thanks!

If you want to drink from the firehouse of cruising knowledge, head on over to http://www.cruisecritic.com and check out the community boards!  That is by far the most active forum site I have seen regarding cruise information.  The good/bad/downright ugly all there to find, at your fingertips for searching. There are forums by cruise line, general cruise questions, roll-calls for those going on the same cruise and more.

I'd highly recommend joining (easy) so you can ask questions and get quick responses.

• Like 2

What are your thoughts on this size ship? We have been on some of the smaller ships in the past, when they were the biggest around, and we really enjoyed ourselves. How busy did the pools/shows/food venues feel? Was loading and unloading a hassle? Just trying to get some ideas for our next cruise, Thanks!

Last year my gf and I cruised on NCL's biggest and newest ship-the Escape.  At the time, I believe it was the 7th largest ship in the world, but is likely a couple pegs down now.  embarkation was painless, since we checked in online.  Once at the cruise terminal, we waited maybe 5 mins to finish our check in. The pool area was def the most crowded and lounge chairs were often just a couple feet from each other, if that.  On sea days, you pretty much were out of luck lounge-chair wise if you arrived much past 10 AM.  

We ate at most of the specialty restaurants, along w the dining room and didn't find any to be overcrowded.  We did have to make reservations for just about everything entertainment-wise on board, which was a hassle.  The shows in the main theater were free, but there was a supper club show that cost extra but was well worth it.  Disembarkation was pretty seamless as well, since they spread people out over a couple of hours.  Everyone was free to leave anytime after their color was called, with 9:30 being the latest time to leave the ship.  On shore days, getting on and off was easy, Upon leaving and reentering, you scanned your key card and sent your bags through an x ray machine much like at the airport.

The main cruise companies I believe do a fine job of managing these mega-ships, so that while it seems daunting, you really have a lot of open, public space in which to roam.  We will be sailing on the RCCL Harmony of the Seas (new No. 1 in the world) in January.

• Like 1

I can remember waiting in line after line to board and disembark in years past. It's good to know that they have greatly improved this process. Especially if they are trying to get up to 6,000 people on board.

It seems that they are moving more and more to these specialty restaurants. Do you feel the food quality and service was improved enough at these restaurants to be worth the up charge? The a la carte options and dynamic dining seem to be all the rage right now.

I agree that having to make reservations for everything sounds like a big hassle. We always liked being leisurely with everything and just doing what sounded fun in the moment. But I see the deck chair wars haven't changed either over the years...

Was reading a bit about Harmony earlier today, and I can't believe just how much there is to do on that ship. You'd need a 14 day cruise just to see it all. The AquaTheater sounds pretty amazing, as does the Abyss slide. Thanks for the info, and I hope you guys have a great time!

Sorry just checking back in this forum. 

The Oasis class ships are so huge, so many unique areas and tons of activities daily.  Meaning that with a large number of passengers it never feels that crowded.  Honestly you can go escape in Central Park, or hang out on the top deck in the sun and see very few fellow passengers.  We typically stick with the Main Dining Room for Diner, service and food are great.  I don't see the need to venture in to the specialty dining venues.  Although we will hit Johnny Rockets once a cruise, but for $5 per person it is all you can eat.  Dangerous.  

Reserving Shows can be done months out so no reason to do it on the ship, but it isn't mandatory.  You can line up 15 minutes before a show and get whats left, but reservations are much easier and take the hassle out.  Disembarking has more to do with the port and customs than it does the ship.  Some ports are just better than others.  Miami and Canaveral are a breeze, Ft. Lauderdale can be hit or miss.  We have always loved the Freedom Class ships with Royal, but the Oasis ships must be seen to be believed.  

I can remember waiting in line after line to board and disembark in years past. It's good to know that they have greatly improved this process. Especially if they are trying to get up to 6,000 people on board.

It seems that they are moving more and more to these specialty restaurants. Do you feel the food quality and service was improved enough at these restaurants to be worth the up charge? The a la carte options and dynamic dining seem to be all the rage right now.

I agree that having to make reservations for everything sounds like a big hassle. We always liked being leisurely with everything and just doing what sounded fun in the moment. But I see the deck chair wars haven't changed either over the years...

Was reading a bit about Harmony earlier today, and I can't believe just how much there is to do on that ship. You'd need a 14 day cruise just to see it all. The AquaTheater sounds pretty amazing, as does the Abyss slide. Thanks for the info, and I hope you guys have a great time!

On the Escape, we  made reservations for everything beforehand except the comedy club, which I was told could be done once onboard.  Once onboard, there was an option to reserve through the in-cabin TV, but it wasn't active at the time I tried.  By the time I tried again, each show was 'sold out' for every night; however, there was a standby line which was open 30 min before each show.  People were let in starting 10 min prior-5 min after showtime.  The lines sometimes were long, but I never saw anyone turned away.  The comedy club only had about 100 seats, but could easily accommodate about 150 more standing in the back, which is what we ended up doing.  The specialty dining places were like the restaurants at Epcot these days-no reservation=no dining there.  Walkups were turned away frequently and told to make reservations, which were easy enough since each deck featured several touch screens where on board entertainment and dining could be booked.  

We got the specialty dining free when we booked (there was a choice of that, a $150 shore excursion credit, free basic booze package or free internet/wifi).  For those thinking of cruising NCL be aware that NCL last week changed their beverage policy-you can no longer bring any beverages purchased in port onto the ship (NCL pours Pepsi and my gf lives for Diet Coke, so at our first stop, we purchased a 6 pack).  All beverages on NCL must now be bought and consumed onboard.  The only exception is that you may bring on bottled water if used for baby formula and proof must be shown.  There has been a tremendous backlash over this, so perhaps NCL will get the hint and reverse course.  They are the only mass market cruise line currently with this policy.

^^ all you can eat Johnny Rockets, that does sound dangerous... And rough on the 'ol plumbing as well...

That's good to know that you can still find some solitude even with all those people on board. I remember being amazed that the big boys could float 10-12 years ago, so I can't even imagine seeing these Oasis class ships up close. Sounds like the reservation system isn't too bad as long as you take care of what's important to you early on to get it secured.

^ It's nice that there is still some leeway to get reservations on some things at the spur of the moment while onboard.

I don't see that policy lasting very long... I can understand why they would want to implement it, but wow that's a huge change, and I am not surprised there has been a backlash. And to not even allow bottled water unless there is proof of needing it for formula? Just over the top if you ask me.