Ride spieling thoughts?

I wouldn't say the only one...

Proper mic usage bugs me. If you are using the mic correctly it is just an inch or so from the mouth and your regular speaking voice will be more than adequate.

The problem with humor is that.... Not all humor translates and not all people are good story/joke tellers.

Again, I hate to compare because it's not fair but let's do it anyway, look at what Disney or Universal do. Do you want to add flavor and personality to your ride and make it fun, make the cue themed. Have the workers dressed for the parts. Have people, not involved with the mech check, interact in character. Let automated spiels tell how to enter the ride.

Am I crazy, I seem to remember FoF had an automated spiel in the disguise of an alien? Talking about entering the ride, pulling the restraint tight, and keeping your head back till launch? You can have unique spiels that are automated and well done.

Imagine for instance in Banshee's line an automated spiel that sounds almost ghost like telling you to quickly enter and pull your restraint closed... Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

The ride op at White Water Canyon's pay geysers could tone it down, too. They're currently addressing and taunting every boat that passes, to the point that it's nearly a continuous stream of loud talking. It's not necessary, and, like others have said, it distracts from the ride op's actual job, which is to keep riders safe.

It's also not just a Kings Island thing. They do it at SFStL, too. It's unnecessary there, too.

I've already written to the park about WWC's ops getting carried away to the point of missing "feet up," seat-belt, phone and shoe-off violations, and they seem to have gotten 100% better.  

Some of the ops only start the constant chatter when people are at the geysers, because apparently they enjoy the props riders give them, thinking they're the ones splashing them (even though it's the paying customers on the other side :lol: ). Most of the time, though, the op and us geyser "groupies" team up to form the greatest, unscripted spiels of all time, and I regret not having my camera going during them!

• Like 7

This is coming from a mom of a ride op that has actually competed in a spiel-off during an after hours, Kings Island event. I don't find her particularly annoying on the mic, but even with her, how much attention can she pay when she's got to think about what she's saying, adjusting the mic, remember to turn it off if speaking to someone, etc. There are so many things ride ops should focus on besides a spiel.

I strongly prefer canned spiels to allowing people on the mic. The beat box gal at FoF is annoying, probably the worst. Well, next to the wonderful young man at Banshee who would yell into the mic repeatedly yell into the mic "Buh buh buh buh buh buh buh buh buh buh Banshee". This young man is actually delightful away from the mic, but it annoyed me to the point I hoped he'd choke on the mic (not wishing harm, just wanting him to shut up).

So many times they have the mic too close to their mouths, yell into it, so you can not understand them. It's like a Peanuts adult talking. No Bueno.

I do not understand (perhaps it's age because I am old) why assuming that people screaming at the top of their lungs is an indication of people having a good time.

The one thing that bothers me most are the references to other coasters and rides not in the same park, but also not in the same chain (while on the train, one guy thanked people for riding Kingda Ka). Hearing, "thank you for visiting Canada's Wonderland" at Kings Island is also stupid. Mispronounced names of rides - it's not Surfing Dog!

Can it. It's better in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

• Like 7

I've already written to the park about WWC's ops getting carried away to the point of missing "feet up," [...] shoe-off

Most of the time, though, the op and us geyser "groupies" team up to form the greatest, unscripted spiels of all time, and I regret not having my camera going during them!

Those poor riders, testing their ingenuity to avoid walking in wet shoes the rest of the day... But safety first!

Perhaps you could wear a shirt warning riders that the chance of getting drenched, rather than merely wet, is higher if they see you in the vicinity of the geysers? :)

• Like 4

In 2014, one of the spielers asked riders which they liked better between Subway and Jimmy John's. Most answered Subway. He responded that he liked Jimmy John's better.

Kings Island's sponsor wouldn't have been happy hearing that spiel.

• Like 6

Ive seen plenty of instances of Diamondback (2014 and 15, they have dove VERY well this year) and Gatekeeper (2015 and 2016) stacking all 3 trains in the station/final brakes because of a ride op waiting for a loud enough response to "IF you're ready to ride, let me hear ya say  OH YAAHHH!"  No, just.... no.

I don't know about Diamondback, but the person spieling on Gatekeeper has absolutely nothing to do with the dispatching of trains. The position of spieler has three duties: Spieling, working the handicap elevator for guests, and placing VIP groups.

Never in the history of Gatekeeper have they held up a train because the crowd wasn't loud enough. Management would crucify the crew right there in front of everyone if even a spare second went by that train wasn't dispatched and could have been.

[quote name="Honorarius" post="734628" timestamp="1466256381"

Even WORSE is the 'Welcome back riders, how was your ride?' and the restraints not being released until they get a good response... The ride is over, let us off...

Again, this has absolutely nothing to do with spieling. Almost every single coaster's restraints are released by the computer or by a mechanical process when the train is fully parked. They're not keeping you on the train because of your response.

All that being said, I freaking hate spieling. Busch Gardens was a blessing to me. Only spieling when we were shut down for whatever reason.

The crew definitely needs the mic though to be able to communicate with each other. Most of the major theme parks have headsets for each crew member, but I doubt CF would splurge for that.

I believe in the mid to late 2000s Cedar Point opened one season with nearly all rides having automated spieling. For whatever reason, the community on point buzz flipped out and said it was making the park "more corporate" and less unique. The automated spiels were gone by the next season.

• Like 4

Am I crazy, I seem to remember FoF had an automated spiel in the disguise of an alien? Talking about entering the ride, pulling the restraint tight, and keeping your head back till launch? You can have unique spiels that are automated and well done.

In the seasons since the Outer Limits licensing left, I've still heard the exit spiel:

"Thank you for participating in our... experiment. We now know what happens when the human body is pushed to..." *Crickets*

The point is, that is decidedly better than a teen using the launch as comedy hour and ending with a "fake" countdown or a "Goodbye!" When I bring friends and try to sell the park (and in particular, certain rides) as a well-themed, Universal-style experience, the spieling typically hurts it.

• Like 5

Ive seen plenty of instances of Diamondback (2014 and 15, they have dove VERY well this year) and Gatekeeper (2015 and 2016) stacking all 3 trains in the station/final brakes because of a ride op waiting for a loud enough response to "IF you're ready to ride, let me hear ya say OH YAAHHH!" No, just.... no.

I don't know about Diamondback, but the person spieling on Gatekeeper has absolutely nothing to do with the dispatching of trains. The position of spieler has three duties: Spieling, working the handicap elevator for guests, and placing VIP groups.

Never in the history of Gatekeeper have they held up a train because the crowd wasn't loud enough. Management would crucify the crew right there in front of everyone if even a spare second went by that train wasn't dispatched and could have been.

Again, this has absolutely nothing to do with spieling. Almost every single coaster's restraints are released by the computer or by a mechanical process when the train is fully parked. They're not keeping you on the train because of your response.

All that being said, I freaking hate spieling. Busch Gardens was a blessing to me. Only spieling when we were shut down for whatever reason.

The crew definitely needs the mic though to be able to communicate with each other. Most of the major theme parks have headsets for each crew member, but I doubt CF would splurge for that.

I believe in the mid to late 2000s Cedar Point opened one season with nearly all rides having automated spieling. For whatever reason, the community on point buzz flipped out and said it was making the park "more corporate" and less unique. The automated spiels were gone by the next season.

Perception is reality. If he thought the trains were being really held up until the crowd was loud enough, thus delaying the train dispatch them I'm sure many others think the same thing. Bad bad bad.

• Like 3

In the seasons since the Outer Limits licensing left, I've still heard the exit spiel:

"Thank you for participating in our... experiment. We now know what happens when the human body is pushed to..." *Crickets*

The point is, that is decidedly better than a teen using the launch as comedy hour and ending with a "fake" countdown or a "Goodbye!" When I bring friends and try to sell the park (and in particular, certain rides) as a well-themed, Universal-style experience, the spieling typically hurts it.

FoF still auto spiels as the empty train pulls into the station. "Please secure all loose articles, loose articles are not permitted. You may leave your items with an attendant, but we are not responsible for them. Remain seated with your back against the seat hanging on to the bar in front of you"..... "If you are the one experimenting on us, then why are you the one trapped in your seat?! Hahhahaa"

• Like 4

Honestly, maybe I'm boring, but what I want is non-themed, canned autospiels that welcome you to the ride and give you pertinent safety information and that's it. The autospiels that I've heard that have been "themed" to the ride have consistently been incredibly annoying.

Every time I heard imitation Mr. T yell out, "Attention! X Flight recruits. Welcome to your top secret mission: X Flight!" at SFGAm, it made me want to punch puppies and kittens. Verbolten's auto-spiel ranks just a hair below that one on the annoyance factor.

• Like 6

The last few times I've ridden the Zephyr I always seem to be on when the same one working is there. He always finds a cute girl that is riding the ride and asks her to request a song and then as the ride is going he starts singing the song over the mic. He's not even a good singer but obviously had American Idol dreams but it's cancellation took away those dreams. But being strapped into the ride listening to poor renditions of Adele and other new "hip" singers is just inhumane. I would just skip the ride when I see him working but it's one of my daughter's favorite rides so that's out of the question.

• Like 1

I'm at Kings Dominion, and rode Grizzly tonight.  It had autospiel.   Terrible!  ALL of the ride operators looked bored out of their mind and were talking over the autospiel.  Things like: "I done told you the train be locked!" while the autospiel is spouting off about securing loose articles. 

• Like 3

Verbolten's auto-spiel ranks just a hair below that one on the annoyance factor.

[dramatic gasp] How could you not enjoy the cheery chimes of Gerta Schwartzwald?! She's glad to see you've escaped the forest! (And also the train behind you!) So much so that she's glad lift up to see on your you've escaped safety harness the forest and exit lift up carefully to on your your left safety harness and enjoy and exit the rest carefully to of your your left day at and enjoy Boosh Gahdens the rest AUF WIEDERSEHEEEEEEN of your day at Boosh Gahdens!

AUF WIEDERSEHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!

I love Verbolten a whole dang lot, but I would rather be at Kings Island for twelve hours with bring-a-friend-free-level crowds who are all bouncing basketballs and the only ride operating is Son of Beast than listen to Verbolten's auto-spiel for anything longer than fifteen minutes.

I don't mind themed auto-spiels, but I think the non-Verbolten ones have a tendency to blend in with the rest of the theming, which seems like it could be less than effective. I think I agree with homestar that the best spiel is a simple, straightforward, and automated one. Kennywood's auto-spiels do an alright job of it, although I think the ride ops have a tendency to talk over them, if I remember correctly?

• Like 5

The funniest spieling I ever heard was on The Bat ('13 or '14, can't remember if before or after the name change)

We were there after 10 for ERT, and we just kept re-riding it since there was hardly anyone there. (This was also before the asinine re-ride policy). The ride op kept changing the name of the coaster and the park, and even the park slogan, every time the ride dispatched. I know I'm easily amused, but it was hilarious.

"Enjoy your ride on Top Gun here at Knotts berry farm!"

"Enjoy your ride on Flight Deck here at Kings Dominioooon!"

"The Fuuuun and Only"

It was dumb, but it was late and I thought it was funny.

I don't mind the spieling. I certainly understand how some people DO mind though.

• Like 2

I have noticed this year the automated spiel at the end of FoF still plays, but for some reason, there's a ride operator with a mic yelling out "welcome back guys, how was that ride?" It 100% ruins the experience. Can't believe that's even a thing.

I think overall, Holiday World has the best automated spiels.

• Like 5

I like what Waldameer does- the pre-recorded, themed spiels for each ride. I think it's really well done. You've got the pirate voice on Sea Dragon, the iconic Whacky Shack spiel, etc. Perfect blend of rider instructions with a bit of humor here and there, and it gets me even more excited for the ride.

For some people maybe it gets a bit annoying to hear the same thing over and over, but not me.

• Like 4