Weather

Sebastien6221

I apologize if there is already a thread for this. I know pretty much everything is closed due to lightning. But, what is closed due to rain? Due to hail? Due to wind? And other weather conditions? Or if it's easier, what stays open during different weather conditions?

Sent from my N9130 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Most if not all rides at KI will stay open in light to moderate rain. As far as individual attractions, what level of severity brings them down I do not know. 

Any level of "severe" weather will generally ground all major rides. I would think that would include things like hail too IMO.

• Like 3

In general, if there is lightning in the area all outdoor rides will shut down.  This occurs until the storm has cleared a certain distance from the park, I forget what that distance is.

At one point, Cedar Fair grounded all roller coasters in the rain, I believe this was back in 2009 or 2010.  Has that policy changed?

• Like 4

Boo Blasters will also shut down due to lightning.  I was unaware of this until it happened to us last year.  I was under the assumption that, since it was an indoor ride, that it would stay open in all weather conditions.  However, they close it just the same.  The reason they do this is in case of a power outage, people could get stuck on the ride.  It's better to be safe than sorry!

• Like 4

Cedar Point isn't a good park to visit when it's raining, unless you're a big fan of Raptor, Gatekeeper, Blue Streak & Corkscrew. (I've ridden those in the rain as of last season.) Any rain at all will close MF, Maverick, Mean Streak, Gemini, Magnum, TTD, and more.

It's also not a good place to be when there's a moderate-or-stronger NE wind (coming from the lake).

• Like 7

I remember DT being among the first to close & last to reopen when it rained.

Weather policies have varied through the years. Maverick, for instance, seems to now operate in very light precipitation that used to shut it down. Of course, that ride being open is a crap shoot regardless of what the weather's doing.

• Like 3

I think at KI, the Arrow coasters (Vortex, Adventure Express and Bat) will close with anything more than a moderate rain.  

WindSeeker pretty much closes if you blow on it.  High winds will affect Drop Tower and the Eiffel Tower as well, and I imagine Banshee and Diamondback wouldn't like high winds either.  

The Weather Channel keeps forecasting a derecho for late tonight into tomorrow morning.  I've been through a couple of these rare storms. They're pretty powerful. I know they can cause a lot of tree, roof and vehicle damage over a widespread area; or, they can pass high enough over us to just dump a lot of rain without the super-gusts. It will be an interesting evening if forecasters' hunches are correct. Stay safe.

• Like 5

There just so many things to think about when chancing a trip with a possibility of inclement weather. You live 2.5hrs away, plan on staying from open to close on a saturday. Plan on purchasing FL+. There isnt enough to do there non ride wise to keep one entertained for 12 hrs or so imho. I know the whole no rain check rule, but there should be certain circumstances where it would be ok to have better customer service at times. Maybe no refund, but voucher for seperate visit.

As a local I've been many times in thunder storms... It's pretty rare that everything closes down. Soak City will close... And the rides listed above... But the park itself still runs. They will do things like rub less trains so that you don't have to sit out in the rain at the brake station as long. If rides are closed it's posted on the entrance ticket booth... So technically you get a heads up before you scan your ticket in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The no rain check policy is a business decision, but one that KI needs to have.

People would take advantage of it. If the policy did not exist, while it would be good for those wash-out days, some would want it to be good for oppressively hot days, or cold days, windy days, etc.

• Like 2

The Weather Channel keeps forecasting a derecho for late tonight into tomorrow morning.  I've been through a couple of these rare storms. They're pretty powerful. I know they can cause a lot of tree, roof and vehicle damage over a widespread area; or, they can pass high enough over us to just dump a lot of rain without the super-gusts. It will be an interesting evening if forecasters' hunches are correct. Stay safe.

Looks like they were correct. We had a lot of fallen trees and moderate damage all over the place in Indiana. The storm approached my area just as I left to go to work... what a drive that was, haha... At least I got my storm chasing fix in! Hope everybody is okay!

• Like 3

The Weather Channel keeps forecasting a derecho for late tonight into tomorrow morning. I've been through a couple of these rare storms. They're pretty powerful. I know they can cause a lot of tree, roof and vehicle damage over a widespread area; or, they can pass high enough over us to just dump a lot of rain without the super-gusts. It will be an interesting evening if forecasters' hunches are correct. Stay safe.

Looks like they were correct. We had a lot of fallen trees and moderate damage all over the place in Indiana. The storm approached my area just as I left to go to work... what a drive that was, haha... At least I got my storm chasing fix in! Hope everybody is okay!
The park warned you about falling trees, and you went to KK? Lol

• Like 4

The park warned you about falling trees, and you went to KK? Lol

I see what you did there...  :P If driving to work meant riding Storm Chaser, or (almost) any coaster, I'd smile every day. I drove in the opposite direction. Right into the maw of the derecho. Alas, my fate today after that encounter was re-imaging Chromebooks... Or as I like to call it, watching pixelated grass grow!

• Like 5