Does age change the amount of times you ride a ride in a row?

Mr. Coastermania

Everybody is different. I'm 40 and admit not in very good shape.

I don't think I can do The Beast more than 2-3 times per visit without having reminders the next day. It's the roughness of the ride (before anybody feels obligate to point it out, I know there are rougher woodies out there). Vortex could do the same, depending on where I sit.

Banshee and Diamondback would not provide me with those reminders.

• Like 2

Absolutely.  When I was younger, I could go to the park with my friends and bounce from one ride to the next all day long.  However, in the last 5-7 years or so, I've started to really feel it in my head.  After too much flipping around through loops and such, my head just feels bad.  It doesn't really affect my body at all, but I just start to feel lightheaded or get a headache after too many rides.

• Like 2

I'm only 26 and I'm already starting to feel limited on what I can ride.

At Cedar Point, Maverick, Rougarou, and Mean Streak are unrideable for me. Gemini, Blue Streak, and Gatekeeper I can marathon. Magnum is iffy. I felt ejected from my seat and slammed back down on some of the smaller hills and that can be rough on me.

At Kings Island, one ride on Beast was enough for me (though I've heard it's gotten smoother since I last rode it), I've had good and bad rides on Vortex (didn't know until I joined this site that some seats are better than others). Diamondback I could ride over and over, as well as Racer.

I don't really get motion sickness, that's very rare cause I eat small bland meals on park trips and take ginger pills. But I do get headaches. My major problem is my neck- it really can't handle much. I can't ride Scramblers anymore because of it- they were once my favorite ride. Waldameer's Ravine Flyer II is also unrideable for me at this point, which is a shame because it's such a cool coaster.

• Like 1

I'm 47, and enjoy "marathoning" coasters with the same gusto as when I was in my 20s.  I had to commit to strict dietary and exercise routines, overcome overeating and an addiction to carbonated beverages, as well as learn to stay hydrated (huge factor!), but it is what it is, and now, at least at my age, I can say that younger coaster warriors can look to this benchmark with 'hope' of a long future of coaster enjoyment (all things considered). The key: Stay fit! (Coasters are an amazing incentive; however, having a beautiful girlfriend who happens to be an Arizona Corrections Sergeant has been a great inspiration, I must say!  B))

• Like 2

Always carry a bottle of Vitamin-I with you. Even helps to pre-medicate. :).

Hydrate, electrolytes, diet, fitness all plays a large factor as well.

At this age you should also be having your testosterone levels checked. It impacts rerides on all sorts of things. :)

I would say anyone that has been riding for years should get their testosterone checked. Dr. Mark L. Gordon has been saying for some time that he has made the connection of hormonal deficiencies to minor Traumatic Brain Injury. Anyone with PTSD should take a look at what he has to say about it.

• Like 2

Not only does my age of 36 stop me from a lot of re-rides ( no more than twice in a row), I can't stay in the park from open to close like I used to. Now I have to leave the park and take a 2 hour or so power nap and then return to the park. 

• Like 5

In my teens I would buy a fist full of tickets and ride The Shooting Star till I ran out of tickets. In my twenties It was Racer three or four times in my 30s I quit riding coasters In my 60s I ride almost anything once or twice But can not do beast more than twice in a trip but most steel coasters  can ride two times in a row without a problem.

• Like 3

32 years old and probably in the best shape of my life. I find that it's not my body that keeps me from marathoning but my attitude. I've found that I prefer taking things slowly and savoring the park experience rather than going for ride after ride.

• Like 4

I am 46. I am at the park enough that I haven't marathoned anything the past 2 seasons at Kings Island. Last time I really marathoned anything was Banshee during Scream Like A Kid night in 2014 and Racer in 2013. I think Banshee was 14 times, Racer 18.

Last summer two friends of mine and I went to Holiday World and rode Revolution 3 times in a row. Two should have been it - well maybe once. One friend wanted to go a 4th time, but there was no way in the world I could do that. We marathoned Thunderbird 8 times without leaving our seats. I typically push more marathoning at parks not as close to home. I do know I pay a pretty steep price for the marathons in the days that follow.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Several years ago, I could ride just about anything over and over again and frequently speed-walked from one ride to the next, often criss-crossing the park repeatedly (hi, malem).

Last year, I could only ride something once or twice before needing a break, and I can no longer rush from one ride to another like I used to. I have to take my time walking between rides, and avoid too much criss-crossing of the entire park. And unlike before, there are certain rides that my body simply no longer tolerates at all (e.g. Vortex and Invertigo).

The scary part is that this is already happening to me, and I am only 29 years old. :ph34r:

• Like 3

I can reride rides as often as I want to, just as long as I am not dehydrated.

I once rode Flight Deck (The Bat) in July 2012 in 100 degree weather 12 times in a row... I got off because I was feeling fairly nauseous.

Diamondback I can marathon easily! But the max I have ever done is three times in a row without getting off but decided to opt out on another one due to the 35 degree freezing cold downpour in October 2012. 

Banshee I can probably marathon about 4 times before getting a bit nauseous. 

AE I can just marathon that thing to no end!

Firehawk is one I would probably get a bit sick of by the third time around.

Invertigo I could not do more than once in a row.... its the only rollercoaster that gets me very nauseous and freaked out after one ride.

I bet as I age I will probably not be able to ride rides like I used too, might as well enjoy them now!

• Like 1

I don't have much of a limit on how many times I can ride anything, even a few mini- marathons on I-305 earlier this year. I would have done more, but my compadre couldn't take no more.

Now the time it takes to get between rides, that has slowed a little bit.

• Like 1

Multiple rides don't really bother me, but I've learned as I grow older that I can't do the sustained pace I used to keep in parks. In my teens and twenties, I'd be nonstop, hopping from ride to ride for 2-3 days. A few years back, my wife and I went to Spirit Song and did 3 days at the park; by the end of it, we were literally crawling to our campsite. 

Now I have a kid, so we spend a lot of time in Planet Snoopy anyway. But as long as I hit all my favorites at least once, I'm good. I've come to enjoy just sitting by the fountains on International Street eating a pizza and taking in the sites. 

Oh wait...getting older means the pizza angries up the blood! 

• Like 2

• 7 years later...

It depends on the ride. For example, something like Orion/Millie and even Mysti are incredibly too easy to marathon without any issues for me. But I can't marathon a coaster with inversions. I marathoned Banshee on Media Day and that was the last time I did that. I can manage maybe 2X in a row on a coaster with inversions, but any more than that and I am done. The only exception to the rule on marathoning inverting coasters has been with RMC hybrids. For some reason they don't bother me the way other types of inverting coasters do. The only thing RMC hybrids do that would make me tap out are the punishment the lap bars give :lol:

• Like 1

Even in my early 20s I'd get 'rattled' easily if I didn't have breakfast and enough water. One day I started with Invertigo and I was done immediately. Now (47) it seems to be timing. I need enough time to gather my senses (although there are some I could do right away). I typically only do Banshee once per visit. 

I'm in my 50's and still love the rides.  But I find some days I just like to go and see shows, atmosphere, food, shop, etc. is just as much enjoyment as hitting all the rides.  But basically, I have to be in the mood now to just do rides all day.

• Like 3

I think more or less my patience waiting for rides has dropped with age. Anything over a 45 minute wait and I’m not happy. This number dwindles with each visit to the park. So after 20 or so visits to Kings Island, any with a line over 20 minutes seemed long.

Another change as I aged is what I can and cannot eat at the park. :P

• Like 2

Officially mid-way into my 50's now and my love for KI, coasters and amusement parks in general has not faded one bit since I was a young kid. But my tolerance level sure has! 

Multiple rides on The Beast, Mystic, Diamondback, and Orion don't really bother me too much...but I pace myself now and try to hit the bumper cars or some other kind to the head and stomach rides in between. Even though I am in good shape for my age, coasters with inversions such as Banshee, I am one and done for awhile depending how long I plan staying at a park any one day. My equilibrium just isn't what it used to be unfortunately. Loops didn't used to bother me, but in the last few years, even with trying anti-nausea pills,  I just cannot ride coasters with loops near as much as I want. But, saying that, I love to ride RMC's and the inversions in them don't affect me as bad. Strange! 

Of course, when I was a kid, the Rotor about killed me as far as that goes. I was so sick after riding that! I was so embarrassed! I never could really handle any ride that spins. Even as a kid. Build a 500ft rollercoaster though, and I'd be first in line.

• Like 3

Sure has for me.  I’ll be 32 this summer, and the vists my wife and I do typically consist of 1-3 rides, dinner, drinks, shopping, and maybe a show. We just enjoy taking in all the atmosphere. My enjoyment of the park has evolved a bit and I really love it. So, even if you’re unable to handle the same consecutive rides as you did in the past, you can still have a great time. 

• Like 3