In just fifteen minutes...

atom

I grew up spending Summers at Kings Island, one one thing burned permanently into my subconscious is the announcement voice saying "In just fifteen minutes [Paramount's] Kings Island is proud to present...[scooby's Big Adventure]." Or Huckleberry Hound puppet singalong, or dolphin show or what have you.

I now live in Orlando, and no one has any idea what I'm talking about. Everyone can recite the Disney Monorail spiel in Spanish (or approximations thereof), but no one why I laugh every time I hear an announcement that starts off with "in just fifteen minutes..."

So two things:

1. Was this a real series of announcements, and not just something I'm misremembering?

2. Has anyone found/made/heard a recording of (any variation of) this announcement? I'd love to hear it again and have some way to explain what the heck I'm talking about.

• Like 6

At Disneyland Resort, those announcements – "Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls! In just fifteen minutes, the lights surrounding Paradise Bay will be dimmed..." – are made by a husband and wife pair. He does Disneyland Park. She does Disney California Adventure. Kind of cool!

Their announcements and narration being a "constant" through the day is really cool, and very touching. My day at Disney California Adventure always ends with Camille reminding us to "dream in wonderful color." (Watch to the end of that video. In an original draft of World of Color, a single mischievous orange fountain named Squirt appeared throughout the show, representing the spirit of Walt Disney and connecting the animated vignettes. That frame story was cut, but a hint of Squirt remains: at the end of World of Color, every fountain turns off except one – Walt's – which bows and then disappears. Gets me a little misty every time. In more ways than one.) 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I remember it well from childhood, because I'd always be listening for whenever the Smurf/Scooby Doo/Flintstone show would start. From what I remember, they still do it before certain shows. 

That makes me think of some of the other sounds I miss. I remember when International Street's music was an orchestral-type music, not radio hits (or, in the Paramount Days, movie themes). I remember it really added to the charm of the area. 

• Like 4