Ten Years Ago Today...

Hoeter

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/cedar-fair-to-buy-paramount-parks-for-124-billion

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/news/stories/20060701_01.shtml

Today marks 10 years since the sale of Paramount Parks to Cedar Fair Entertainment Company (formerly Cedar Fair L.P.) finalized. In the $1.24 billion deal, Kings Island and its sister parks Kings Dominion, Carowinds, Canada's Wonderland, and California's Great America.

Seems like it was only yesterday! What are your thoughts on the last 10 years and what are your hopes for the next 10 years?

• Like 14

I don't feel like I'm being herded through an extension of corporate Hollywood anymore. I actually can relax in my hometown, Midwest amusement park at a pace that feels just like it did long before Paramount showed up. I can enjoy wonderful rides and shows that aren't constant commercials for TV shows and movies. 

• Like 9

I guess I shouldn't downplay CF and their effort to turn around the parks they acquired 10 years ago. (my first post seemed to say they bought the parks then did nothing) I wasnt an enthusiast before the park was sold but the way the parks are run and the investments they have made are really impressive!

• Like 4

I just became an enthusiast a couple of years ago, but I missed most of the Paramount era.  I lived out west for most of it.  I do remember coming home on vacation and going to KI, and it did feel like a giant commercial most of the time.

However, I think it would have been fun to have been an enthusiast back then.  Jeff Siefert and Maureen Kiser seemed pretty fun-loving, at least by the videos I have seen on Youtube.

• Like 5

If only paramount would have installed an invert & a hyper before 2006 like all the other parks in the states. Just wonder what we would have now.

Paramount gave us what I could do without.

Top gun

Son of Beast(bust)

Face off

Tomb raider(bust)

Italian job

Flight of Fear (jokers jinx clone)

Good additons:

Drop zone

Delerium

• Like 1

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view), that means another more depressing 10 year anniversary is coming up concerning the park in a few days.  

The result of which (ultimately) being Banshee. 

• Like 3

If only paramount would have installed an invert & a hyper before 2006 like all the other parks in the states. Just wonder what we would have now.

Top gun

Son of Beast(bust)

Face off

Tomb raider(bust)

Italian job

Good additons:

Drop zone

Delerium

Nice to know that Paramount wasn't just picking on us up here :P

• Like 1

Top gun

Son of Beast(bust)

Face off

Tomb raider(bust)

Italian job

Good additons:

Drop zone

Delerium

In the old days here, people new to the community would blindly insult Cedar Fair. "BRING BACK TH MOVIEZ." "ILL ALWAYS CALL IT DROP ZONE" "STUPID CDEAR POINT RUINED PKI."

It's interesting to see that a new generation vilifies just as blindly, but in just the opposite way.

Pure and simple, it's naive to reduce these attractions in this way. Each and every one set new precedents. Some redefined the capabilities of a seasonal amusement park. Some informed industry standards that remain today. Others shifted the growth of competitors who, were it not for Kings Island's intervention, might be more dominant players today, changing the entire course of the park's story.

If Son of Beast hadn't existed, we might not have Diamondback or Banshee. If Italian Job didn't exist, there may be no Verbolten. If Flight of Fear didn't exist, neither would Joker's Jinx. (And, by the way, given your analysis, why have Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom? It's a clone of Disneyland's Matterhorn, never-mind that most visitors to Magic Kingdom don't even know what the Matterhorn is, and the two rides have practically nothing in common whatsoever in terms of rider experience. Never-mind again that your two "pros" for Paramount are off-the-shelf carnival rides that are literally and sincerely located in one form or another at almost every major amusement park on Earth... yet Flight of Fear is reduced to a "clone"? Yikes!) 

There are those here who could tell you that, but for Paramount purchasing Kings Island, the park would likely not exist today. 

There are those who would go on and on about how Paramount's vision for Kings Island – distinctly DIFFERENT from Cedar Fair's – is what gives the park an atmosphere, style, and aura that's different from, say, Cedar Point's. Paramount, Viacom, and CBS didn't add hypers and gigas and Wing Riders. They added Tomb Raider and Son of Beast and Italian Job and Flight of Fear. I'm incredibly thankful for that, and even now, Cedar Fair has shown a deliberate willingness to adhere to the precedents set by Paramount and its predecessors... the things that make the park different from the kind of midway-amusement-zone that builds big tall bright roller coasters simply for big bright tall roller coasters' sake. In turn, Cedar Fair has taken what it acquired in the Paramount Parks and changed their OWN methods at legacy parks.

I think most of us here started with these big sweeping biased and under-informed generalizations like Beast Gal made... I know I did! But stick around and listen to the stories that are told and the experience shared here, explore the rest of the industry, and think outside the box and you'll be surprised what you learn... I know I have been! 

• Like 6

In turn, Cedar Fair has taken what it acquired in the Paramount Parks and changed their OWN methods at legacy parks.

See legacy Cedar Fair parks adding rides similar to Surf Dog (which was put in under Paramount as Avatar). Also, random question/possibility: If Paramount would not have added Backlot to three of their parks, would coasters like Maverick and Taron exist today (I know Backlot was made by Premier and the other 2 mentioned are Intamin creations, but still)? Also, would RMC hybrids be a "thing" if Son of Beast hadn't existed? Think about it.  ^_^

I know Maverick would exist because it was being planned before TTD was announced. Now for RMC, it is a possibility that they wouldn't be a thing but eventually everyone is gonna go outside of the box. I know they have said they will never do a vertical loop because of the issues of SOB.

• Like 1

I know Maverick would exist because it was being planned before TTD was announced. Now for RMC, it is a possibility that they wouldn't be a thing but eventually everyone is gonna go outside of the box. I know they have said they will never do a vertical loop because of the issues of SOB.

Did not know that; that's cool that Maverick was planned that far back. 

Really!? You're the first person I've seen that opinion from. I think Power Tower is fairly boring in comparison to Drop (Zone) Tower.

I prefer Power Tower to Drop Tower...it's the ability to be thrusted up for me.

Sent from the cellphone Zach Morris used in Saved By The Bell using Tapatalk

Doesn't RMC think inside the box? Look at the track lol