What will put Kings Island above Cedar Point?

Hunterhughes1997

KI will always be a crown jewel of CF. It may seem at times that they don't get the biggest toys like Fury 325 or Imtimader 305 but nobody else has The Beast. As a matter of fact speaking park attendance I think it's up this year . Especially during the week days.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We will get our giga soon enough and I have a feeling it's going to be a record breaker somehow. Length I think.

Well, it can't be height right? I've heard from quite a few people that KI has a height restriction on rides. Is it like 360 ft. or something?

I don't understand why Carrowinds would be number 2 when KI, Knotts, and Wonderland all have a much higher attendance rate every year? Given Knotts is a much smaller park than KI and Wonderland is in Canada, I would think KI would be their number 2 park in the US.

A. It's Carowinds.

B. The South is booming. Cedar Fair has no other parks in the American South with no nearby strong competition.

Building up Carowinds is a smart strategy.

See also California's Great America...

Looking at another perspective, look at the daily flights leaving Cincinnati (OK I know it is in Northern Kentucky.  Actually it is in Boone County and is run by the Kenton County Airport Board which has a Cincinnati address lol) and compare it to the flights at Charlotte. 

You are hard pressed in Cincinnati to see anymore at night 8-11 planes lining up in the skies making their final descent into the airport (lucky to see 2 now), yet watching the skies at Carowinds reminds me of what it used to look like here.  From 1997 to 2005, Cincinnati averaged over 20 million passengers yearly.  We are now down to about 6 million passengers per year.

During that same time period, Charlotte also averaged over 20 million passengers yearly.  Yet today, they have averaged over 44 million passengers per year for the past several years compared to our measly 6 million.  You invest where the people are.

Many companies have relocated from Cincinnati to Charlotte, or expanded to Charlotte.  Chiquita was one that relocated (although they have since left), while Cincinnati Insurance Company and Cardinal Solutions have opened up offices there, as has TQL.

The weather is "better" there and the park can stay open more days.

Countless other reasons I am sure can be added.

While I would love to see KI get the investments, it truly is a smart decision to expand Carowinds and make that the CP of the south.  Let's just hope they don't forget about giving KI some love.

• Like 3

I don't understand why Carrowinds would be number 2 when KI, Knotts, and Wonderland all have a much higher attendance rate every year? Given Knotts is a much smaller park than KI and Wonderland is in Canada, I would think KI would be their number 2 park in the US.

A. It's Carowinds.

B. The South is booming. Cedar Fair has no other parks in the American South with no nearby strong competition.

Looking at another perspective, look at the daily flights leaving Cincinnati (OK I know it is in Northern Kentucky.  Actually it is in Boone County and is run by the Kenton County Airport Board which has a Cincinnati address lol) and compare it to the flights at Charlotte. 

You are hard pressed in Cincinnati to see anymore at night 8-11 planes lining up in the skies making their final descent into the airport (lucky to see 2 now), yet watching the skies at Carowinds reminds me of what it used to look like here.  From 1997 to 2005, Cincinnati averaged over 20 million passengers yearly.  We are now down to about 6 million passengers per year.

During that same time period, Charlotte also averaged over 20 million passengers yearly.  Yet today, they have averaged over 44 million passengers per year for the past several years compared to our measly 6 million.  You invest where the people are.

Many companies have relocated from Cincinnati to Charlotte, or expanded to Charlotte.  Chiquita was one that relocated (although they have since left), while Cincinnati Insurance Company and Cardinal Solutions have opened up offices there, as has TQL.

While I would love to see KI get the investments, it truly is a smart decision to expand Carowinds and make that the CP of the south.  Let's just hope they don't forget about giving KI some love.

Almost every theme park ranking list I've seen has KI above Carowinds. Carowinds still has a way to go to elevate above KI.

Both parks charge far less for admission and far, far, FAR less for season passes than more discriminating* parks.

* if you believe the media, especially.

Im sorry im clueless on this one. What is this expenisive horrible sounding park your referring to?
It's been volleyed around these parts that for example single day admissions at a certain Orange County park may be too high for certain amounts of people.

Oooh.. Blonde moment. But yea true story

Sent from the future in que for the new wooden Kings Island coaster using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indianapolis, Dayton, Lexington and a shared part of Columbus and let's not forget Warren County one of the fastest growing counties in the nation. KI feeds off of all theses areas. Sure the may someday fall behind places luke Carowinds but it won't be because people stop going.

A. It's Carowinds.

Looking at another perspective, look at the daily flights leaving Cincinnati (OK I know it is in Northern Kentucky. Actually it is in Boone County and is run by the Kenton County Airport Board which has a Cincinnati address lol) and compare it to the flights at Charlotte.

You are hard pressed in Cincinnati to see anymore at night 8-11 planes lining up in the skies making their final descent into the airport (lucky to see 2 now), yet watching the skies at Carowinds reminds me of what it used to look like here. From 1997 to 2005, Cincinnati averaged over 20 million passengers yearly. We are now down to about 6 million passengers per year.

During that same time period, Charlotte also averaged over 20 million passengers yearly. Yet today, they have averaged over 44 million passengers per year for the past several years compared to our measly 6 million. You invest where the people are.

Many companies have relocated from Cincinnati to Charlotte, or expanded to Charlotte. Chiquita was one that relocated (although they have since left), while Cincinnati Insurance Company and Cardinal Solutions have opened up offices there, as has TQL.

While I would love to see KI get the investments, it truly is a smart decision to expand Carowinds and make that the CP of the south. Let's just hope they don't forget about giving KI some love.

Almost every theme park ranking list I've seen has KI above Carowinds. Carowinds still has a way to go to elevate above KI.

Indianapolis, Dayton, Lexington and a shared part of Columbus and let's not forget Warren County one of the fastest growing counties in the nation. KI feeds off of all theses areas. Sure they may someday fall behind places like Carowinds but it won't be because people stop going.

• 3 months later...

CP: Throw a bunch of coasters on a peninsula, break a lot records, focus on more thrills

KI:  Have a decent amount of coasters that are all great in their own way, break some records if its doable, focus on families.

Let me clarify that I'm not saying Cedar Point is a bad park at all, they have great rides, a cool location, and gives a certain appeal that other parks can't match. However, I think KI has a lot going for it and has qualities that CP can't match. They have a great kids area, great rides that appeal to almost everyone, great landscaping, a lot of land, great shows, and a better water park. Cedar Point, in my honest opinion, is going down in quality and is becoming second rate to other younger parks. I believe parks like Carowinds and Kings Island appeal more to the GP than Cedar Point does.

I feel like if King Island gets a giga they will certainly be put above Cedar Point.