What will put Kings Island above Cedar Point?

Hunterhughes1997

50% of all marriages end in divorce.

And the rest end in death... #MarriageIsBadForYourHealth

I said that in the office a few weeks ago. The response was not positive. (I think it may have been more because it was me saying it that shocked them...some don't get my morbid widow humor.)

But it is the truth. All marriages end. You just don't know if it will be divorce or death.

• Like 6

Nope. Nope nope nope.

Pitting roller coaster vs. roller coaster to compare parks is asinine. Diamondback vs. Millennium. Gemini vs. Racer. Beast vs. Mean Streak. Absolutely a joke. Sigh. Sigh sigh sigh.

• Like 11

Just to explain why its absurd to do so, as I said, its cherry picking.  Those who are asking people to compare that way because in their mind CP is better are trying too win their argument by default because CP has more coasters than KI.  Just as more size, speed or inversions aren't the guarantee a good coaster, more coasters doesn't automatically make a park better by itself.  Yes, some people do go by that to favor parks over one another, but this thread is a discussion about the parks as a whole.  Even if you go down the list ride by ride, you're going to get differing opinions.  

Overall, if you like CP over KI, fine.  If its KI over CP, fine.  If you like or don't like both parks equally, fine.  If the parks are doing their job in keeping you entertained, then shouldn't that be all that matters?

BTW, I would love to go over my 2 favorite parks that I've visited, Dollywood and Hersheypark, and explain why I like them more than CP and KI, but that's a rant for another day.  

• Like 5

I have been to KI and CP countless times.  I enjoy both for different reasons.  I live pretty close to CP (2.5 hrs away) and have close relatives that live 20 minutes from KI (Fairfield then onto Hamiltion a few years back).  Prior to CF purchasing Paramount Parks, we had season passes to both CP & KI.

But when asked what are my favorites, I immediately say Hershey & BGW.  Some may find that strange, but I don't get to those parks as often as I would like, so the attraction is greater (and the themeing both have is off the charts).

..... and I really do not like KD.  It's the only park that I have been to that we left early by choice.  Three times.  But I digress.....

Fanboys- please skip to next paragraph.

The point is: for most, what we can't have often is more sought after and is looked at in a different light.  What we are used to is scrutinized more.  Major childhood experiences are remembered so fondly that they trump new adult experiences (1979 Beast in my case- still #1).

And for the love of all what is holy- STOP WITH THE: CP vs. KI CRAP.  B & M vs. INTAMIN.  SoB DID NOT HAVE TO BE TORN DOWN!  CF RUINED GL!  UGH!  Those topics have been beat to death and resurrected so much, even Jason Voorhees doesn't want to come back!!  Use the search feature!!!!  It's easy.  It's FUN.  It can be a life changing experience!  Honest!

- Brown *stepping away from the keyboard*

:P

• Like 9

To me, Kings Island feels like much more thought was put into the park. Commonsense things such as an easy to navigate layout, some theming, and more indoor spaces. The last of these is one of my biggest problems with Cedar Point. There are no indoor rides which I think every park needs at least one. Also, there are very few restaurants with indoor air conditioned dining areas. These problems are further increased by the unwieldy layout of the park. I always feel much more exhausted after a CP trip than KI trip due to increased walking and more time out in the sun. All Kings Island needs to please me is a giga and I'd never have the urge to visit CP again.

• Like 1

Even if they were the same, Mason being closer to the equator makes it further away from the center of the earth, or "above" the distance from Sandusky to the core.

That doesn't make any sense :P

I agree, however it has been many, many years since sophomore year geometry. If the earth is a perfect sphere then all points on the surface are equidistant from the center. Maybe the earth is not a sphere and is fatter at the equator. :)

Even if the earth is s prefect sphere, the elevation at which KI is at would still technically put it above CP. But seriously the answer to this topic is no more than an opinion. To some KI is already above CP and to other KI will never be above CP no matter what they do. The biggest thing that puts CP above KI for me is the Points location. On a Great Lake with a beach is something Kings Island can never have.

Even if they were the same, Mason being closer to the equator makes it further away from the center of the earth, or "above" the distance from Sandusky to the core.

That doesn't make any sense :P

I agree, however it has been many, many years since sophomore year geometry. If the earth is a perfect sphere then all points on the surface are equidistant from the center. Maybe the earth is not a sphere and is fatter at the equator. :)
The earth is in fact, not a sphere, and bulges at the equator. It is actually about 20km further from the core to the equator than at the poles.

Also, Kings Island was built as a full size park, where Cedar Point grew to the current size. Of course it will be "planned" out better.

• Like 3

I live in the Detroit area, about two hours from Cedar Point. When I was a kid, our big trip each summer was to Kings Island, something we've started doing with my own son in recent years (he's 4). So I've been going to both parks for more than three decades. 

All of this is subjective, as people have said, and I have fond memories at both parks, as well as a lot of love for them. But at the end of the day, Kings Island is the better park experience, in my opinion. 

Cedar Point's a great park for thrills. Really, it's roller coaster collection can't be beat on pure thrills. TTD, Maverick, Millennium Force, Magnum. Classics. 

But Kings Island is a prettier park, hands down. It doesn't have the lake like Cedar Point, but everything feels more spread out and roomy, with more attention paid to its landscaping, themes and layout. Cedar Point is handsome and clean, but it's basically Frontier Town and then a collection of midways. Which is fine...but at Kings Island, you have a fantastic kid section, a thrill section, an old Coney Island, Rivertown and International Street (which, as I get older, becomes my favorite place in the park). 

Kings Island is the park I want to spend days at. I can take my kid, who isn't tall enough to ride the big rides, and still feel like I've had a full, enjoyable day. If we can't hit rides, there are great shows, great food and fantastic sight-seeing. 

And while CP tops Kings Island in number of record-breaking thrill rides, Kings Island has so much more variety and beauty to them. I'll take swooping through the valleys on Vortex over the Corkscrew or Rougarou any day. Diamondback isn't quite as thrilling as Millennium Force, but it's no slouch, and that first drop is incredible. There's simply nothing like The Beast anywhere else. Sure, CP has a dive coaster and a wing coaster. Kings Island has one of the best indoor coasters, best mine rides, best flying coaster, and a great suspended coaster. Also Banshee > Raptor. 

I'm happy to go back to Cedar Point this summer for day. But in two weeks, we're driving down to the Shaker Inn for a few days and hitting Kings Island for a family vacation, and I know which one I'm more excited about. 

• Like 4

I don't understand why Carrowinds would be number 2 when KI, Knotts, and Wonderland all have a much higher attendance rate every year? Given Knotts is a much smaller park than KI and Wonderland is in Canada, I would think KI would be their number 2 park in the US.

• Like 1