No Splashing Available on Diamondback

CoasterOhio

And all this time I thought this element was a breaking system...

It is a breaking system. Without it the brakes on the final brake run have to work harder.

Breaking? I'd say it already broke!

Matterhorn was the first to use a water brake, right? Of the modern set, was SheiKra the first to make it a visual element? Followed by Griffon, then Diamondback, yeah?

Man, I love water interactions. Even the "fountain-based" ones like Italian Job (RIP), Manta, Maverick, and Shambhala.

Hm... Now I'm inspired to write an article on this for my website...

• Like 19

Really betrays the fact that it's just a concrete trough in the middle of a finely-manicured, landscaped lawn surrounded in gravel with a dozen dogwoods, rather than a gorgeously forested, natural-looking lake that would one day fill-in and grow into a reflective, shaded, and beautiful corner of the park with a roller coaster built into the terrain.

bkroz, who can't let it go. 

• Like 16

Really betrays the fact that it's just a concrete trough in the middle of a finely-manicured, landscaped lawn surrounded in gravel with a dozen dogwoods, rather than a gorgeously forested, natural-looking lake that would one day fill-in and grow into a reflective, shaded, and beautiful corner of the park with a roller coaster built into the terrain.

bkroz, who can't let it go.

Ask Elsa for help.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

As evidenced by that photo, the area around Backlot Stunt Coaster has grown in more than the area around Diamondback ever will, all things remaining the same.

It's astounding to me. As I've said before, it would be one thing if the park had heavily planted around Diamondback, in which case it would already be filling in and returning to its Swan Lake splendor as trees grow. That's IF they'd planted. They didn't. So in 10, 20, 30 years, that large, open, concrete plaza will look approximately as it does now – a concrete pool with a finely-mowed lawn and a handful of dogwood trees. Minimal shade, minimal beauty.

For Diamondback's sake? Please imagine how incredible it would feel if Diamondback's return to the station and its descent to the pool was surrounded with dense foliage, making it appear to be landing in the middle of the woods. *Sigh.* A plus for Diamondback, a plus for Rivertown, a plus for the park.

But then again, walking through Rivertown... A big steel coaster looming overhead, an empty warehouse in the distance, open and unshaded plazas with a concrete retaining pool, mowed lawns. "Call Me Maybe." Jason Mraz. Katy Perry. At least it's consistent. 

• Like 20

id like to note, that when I looked at the webcam to check this out today, I spent some time watching the ride run and the crew was doing an amazing job!  Consistent dispatches as the train already on course was hitting the MCBR, nice work!

Also, I agree with bkroz about water interaction being great.  Id just like to see them change the control programming for the waterspouts, so they each fire about a half second sooner.  A nice misting on a summer day while flying around that turn would be great!

Sorry guys, forgot to say I was talking about Maverick and the timed water cannons on the right hand turn after coming out of the tunnel  :unsure:

• Like 8

EDIT: Beat by Terp. Not literally.

Luckily, no programming required!

The splashdown on Diamondback, Griffon, and SheiKra are caused by metal scoops that literally just channel the water up into the air. I suppose they could take them off and re-attach them to the front rows!

s13a.jpg

bkroz, feeling that that coaster-water interaction article would really be a hit!

• Like 6

On Griffon, you actually sail through the mist resulting from your own splashdown as the grand finale. Which I think is very cool.

Griffon_(Busch_Gardens_Europe)_02.JPG

Meanwhile, the equivalent splashdowns on Griffon and SheiKra are decidedly cleaner, and even have splash zones for kiddos to get soaked. I still wouldn't, but at least it's not against healthcode as I imagine Diamondback's would be! 

• Like 7

EDIT: Beat by Terp. Not literally.

Luckily, no programming required!

The splashdown on Diamondback, Griffon, and SheiKra are caused by metal scoops that literally just channel the water up into the air. I suppose they could take them off and re-attach them to the front rows!

s13a.jpg

bkroz, feeling that that coaster-water interaction article would really be a hit!

Diamondback reportedly arrived with 3 different style of scoops...the park and B&M apparently tested and decided on the current ones seen in the photo below (the black things hanging from the end of the car.

KingsIsland629.jpg

Photo Source Thanks to dropzone99

I don't believe they can be added to any other part of the train, due to the splash and how they attach to the train. 

• Like 3

Interesting! It would be cool if each train had a unique splash, though I can't think of what they'd be. The current one appears to either angle the two splashes together or maybe they're just so close (compared to the 10-across Griffon trains) that they look like one big plume. Would be cool to see them turned out a little bit or something I guess?

• Like 1

I mistakenly forgot to state what coaster I was talking about with the water interaction.... that was totally my bad.  I was referring to the ones on Maverick, the water cannons.  Sorry for the confusion.

I figured you knew as much. :P

I'm happy when Maverick's cannons fire at all. Are they more reliably used than they used to be? And don't get me started on that launch tunnel... A subject for another debate. 

• Like 3