Types of coaster we don't have ?

King Ding Dong

We have some great coasters but even CP doesn't have some kinds. What are some other types of coasters that we would have to travel to ride?

Edit: I am not asking for a wish list for KI, but types or categories of coasters outside of KI/CP. For example I have never been on a Wild Mouse or an RMC. Now I understand a Wild Mouse is not exactly ranked as a great coaster but at some point I would like to give one a try.

• Like 1

Giga is obvious, and seeing how the 2017 project isn't going to be one, I think the next likely coaster to be built at KI.

Strata is also obvious, but I doubt we see one any time soon.

A modern Woodie, which perhaps the 2017 project covers.

A water coaster, which I've never ridden, but seems to be sorely missing from the water park.  IIRC, Holliday world's two water coasters were not all that expensive, seems like KI should have 1, if not 1 large and 1 small one.

The Dive coasters always look nice; I've read mixed reviews, but they look  nice and would be a solid add at some point.

Wing Coaster also seems like a likelyhood at some point in time.

Floorless coaster, not that KI really needs one, but would make a nice replacement in the space that Vortex occupies when the time comes (hopefully no time soon)

My order of preference timeline:

A modern GCI (hoping 2017 fits this timeline)

A giga (perhaps 2020)

Water Coaster (likely wouldn't ride it, but would seem to fill a lower scale addition after a huge capital expenditure for a Giga, say 2023)

Wing Coaster (2026)

Floorless (2030)

• Like 1

In addition to those already mentioned, I can name at least a few more...

Wild Mouse (and Spinning Wild Mouse)
Euro-Fighter (example: Mystery Mine @ Dollywood)

Impulse Coaster (example: Wicked Twister @ Cedar Point)

Bobsled Coaster (example: Avalanche @ Kings Dominion)

Stand-Up Coaster (we used to have this one with King Cobra...)

Blitz Coaster (example: Maverick @ Cedar Point)
Air Launch Coaster (example: Hypersonic XLC @ Kings Dominion)

Dark Ride Turned into Roller Coaster (example: Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain @ Indiana Beach)
El Loco Coaster (example: Steel Hawg @ Indiana Beach)

4th Dimension Coaster (example: X2 @ Six Flags Magic Mountain)

Water Coaster (NOT Waterslides that Mimic Coasters- aka what Holiday World has... example: Poseidon @ Europa Park)

Basically, there are TONS of various coaster types. Also if you wanna ride a Wild Mouse, usually the state fair is a good bet- in 2014 I went to the Indiana State Fair and they had a Zamperla Spinning Model. It was pretty good, and a ride of that type would be a good addition to KI- probably in the kids area with a Snoopy theme, but it could work elsewhere.

• Like 1

Intamin pre-fab wooden coaster. With how great El Toro is, I am kind of surprised no other parks in the US got them. Now with RMC being the go to choice, I wonder if there will ever be another Intamin pre-fab wooden coaster built at all even outside the US.

I kind of wish KI was fortunate enough to have received a looping masterpiece from Anton Schwarzkopf back in the day.  He did delve into terrain coasters.  

Man...I can just imagine him working his magic at Kings Island.  

It's really a shame to see so many Schwarzkopf coasters closing in recent years. I have yet to ride a Schwarzkopf coaster that wasn't great and I'm glad some parks like Hersheypark and Magic Mountain invested in new trains so their coasters will hopefully be running for a while.

• Like 1

Um we dont have like a Top Thrill Dragster-y coaster.

Strata has already been said a couple times. I think the only coasters over 400 feet are Top Thrill types.

And an Intamin LSM shuttle coaster. ;)

OK, but weak. It's more like a drop zone ride.

I think Kings Island has one of the most well-rounded if not the most well-rounded coaster lineup in the country. The park doesn't seem to be "missing" anything. But I think something that could add a little more variety to the park is a spinning coaster.

[EDIT] Inb4 someone says Surf Dog.

I think Kings Island has one of the most well-rounded if not the most well-rounded coaster lineup in the country. The park doesn't seem to be "missing" anything. But I think something that could add a little more variety to the park is a spinning coaster.

I disagree. It is missing something. A coaster that intimidates people just from sheer height. Call it a giga if you want. Diamondback is thrilling, but not all out scary like a lot of the new coasters out there. That extra hundred and something feet makes a huge difference.

I disagree. It is missing something. A coaster that intimidates people just from sheer height. Call it a giga if you want. Diamondback is thrilling, but not all out scary like a lot of the new coasters out there. That extra hundred and something feet makes a huge difference.

Diamondback is probably intimidating to a lot of people. 230' might not be nerve-wracking to you, but to someone else, even 148' could be frightening.

I think a giga would push Kings Island's lineup over-the-top in terms of quality, but I still stand by my comment. The park has one of the most well-rounded coaster collections in the country.

• Like 1

Diamondback is probably intimidating to a lot of people. 230' might not be nerve-wracking to you, but to someone else, even 148' could be frightening.

I think a giga would push Kings Island's lineup over-the-top in terms of quality, but I still stand by my comment. The park has one of the most well-rounded coaster collections in the country.

We'll agree to agree. A giga would be icing on the cake, but KI coaster collection is awesome.

I never really understood the whole "icing on a cake" phrase. Wouldn't a cake just be a oddly shaped loaf of flavored bread without icing?

Mid Post Edit: After a two minute Google search, I learned in the beginning cake was just an oddly shaped loaf of flavored bread.....

The more you know.

And after some reading on this thread, a giga coaster and various others don't really fit this thread, for example we have a giga, wing, floorless, strata, etc. at Cedar Point. Even though King Ding Dong say outside of KI/CP, there even is Storm Chaser, an RMC at Kentucky Kingdom, which is even closer than Cedar Point.

We have some great coasters but even CP doesn't have some kinds. What are some other types of coasters that we would have to travel to ride?

Edit: I am not asking for a wish list for KI, but types or categories of coasters outside of KI/CP. For example I have never been on a Wild Mouse or an RMC. Now I understand a Wild Mouse is not exactly ranked as a great coaster but at some point I would like to give one a try.

And after reading the thread title, "Types of Coasters We Don't Have?" I could see why people would list Kings Island only rides. It's just my silly little rant that is confused by the title and description of the thread.

But to add to the conversation, the closest Mack Rides Multi-Lauch is in San Diego, and it looks great, but Helix and Blue Fire look absolutely insane, and those are in Europe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't understand "icing on the cake"?  Cake is really good by itself, but with icing it becomes great. This can apply to anything where a person is happy with what they have or their circumstances, but a small addition or change could push it to another level. Something good on top of something else that is good....