Christmas Nights of Lights Coming to Coney Island

CoastersRZ

Official release:

New Drive-Through Christmas Lights Show Coming to Coney Island For The Winter Holidays

CINCINNATI, OH – A new family holiday tradition begins this winter at Coney Island.

The historic amusement park announced today they will be hosting CHRISTMAS NIGHTS OF LIGHTS a dazzling seven-week display running November 11th through January 1, 2017.

This family event features a 2-mile car ride through Christmas displays and light shows consisting of over a million LED lights, driven by more than ten thousand computer channels. Visitors of all ages will be awed by the larger than life trees, glowing snowflakes, dancing candy canes and fantastic tunnels of lights!  In the warmth of your own car, you can sing along to the sounds of the season synchronized to each holiday display.

The show will begin nightly at dusk and run through 10 p.m. Christmas Nights    of Lights will be open every night including holidays.

“We are very excited about hosting this new family holiday show at Coney Island,” said the park’s President, Rob Schutter. “Coney Island has been a popular family attraction for a remarkable 130 years, and this is the first time we will be offering a Christmas holiday event!   This event exemplifies the true holiday spirit by giving a portion of the proceeds to local charities.”

The Salvation Army and the Ruth Lyons Children’s Fund will benefit from the new family holiday event, Schutter added.

Admission for the new Christmas Nights of Lights experience is just $6 per person, with children three and under free. All tickets sales are day of, upon arrival.

The holiday light show is produced by Titan Light Shows, Inc., Bristol, Tennessee.

Coney Island is located at 6201 Kellogg Ave.10 miles east of downtown Cincinnati on the banks of the Ohio River. (Kellogg Avenue exit 72 off I-275.)
For more information, visit the park’s website at www.coneyislandpark.com.

• Like 6

I love Christmas lights displays, but I'm not big on the drive through ones.  Once you drive through you're done.  I much prefer lights displays that let you walk around at your leisure.  You can walk around and take as much time as you want.  My friends and I went to a drive through lights display several years ago at Pyramid Hill in Hamilton.  We paid around the same price ($5-6 a person) and drove through the display.  10-15 minutes later we were done and no option for re-entry of course.  It just doesn't feel like you're getting your money's worth.

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

More details have been posted (see link in first post above). The event will run from dusk to 10pm every day from November 11th through January 1st. A portion of the proceeds will benefit charity (the Salvation Army and the Ruth Lyons Children's Fund).

The one thing that baffles me though is the pricing structure: $6 per person, with children 3 and under getting in free. Per person. For a drive-through display.

I commented on the post on their FB page asking why it's per person for a drive-through display, and several others have complained about the price as well. Hopefully they'll change their mind prior to the opening, or this could end up being the only year due to "lack of interest" (since it's cheaper with 3+ people age 4 and over to just go to Sharon Woods where it's $13 per carload for normal vehicles).

• Like 2

I went through Sharon Woods once.  I wasn`t that impressed.  I do agree it seems a little odd that they are charging per person, and not by car.  My wife and I are planning on checking it out.  I will try and post some pictures after we go through it.  Not sure when we will go through it though.

• Like 1

I agree.  Since this is an outside company that is setting it up, I wonder if it is successful, if we will see it return in 2017.  It wouldn`t be that far stretched for them to open a food stand or two, and have a couple kiddie rides open for this...  Not that I want to work in November through December at Coney...

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh that's actually pretty cool. We were stuck in traffic on the bridge (most of which was heading toward Coney) and I decided to fiddle around with the radio and see if I could find it. I found one playing Christmas music that seemed to match the movements of the lights fairly well, and that was 92.2. Do you remember what the station was, by chance?

Sent from my LGL82VL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you all want a good drive thru Christmas light show, look no farther than Mega-Caverns Louisville

I visited the lights at the Mega Caverns last year.  I agree that the display is good but if the only nights you can make it are Friday or Saturday I would skip it.  The line of cars waiting is crazy.

I went down to Coney this evening and got to experience Christmas Nights of Lights.  It was very impressive, and worth the $6 per person in my opinion.  My wife loved it too.  I would highly recommend checking it out.

Here is a picture that my wife snapped.

15181634_10103629079093415_4968238977446

Do you remember about how long it took you to drive through it?

About twenty five minutes through the actual display.  We went on a Monday night and had no wait to get in.  However, I have heard reports that the line to get in this past weekend was close to three hours long.  It is worth the wait, but I would plan accordingly, and try and visit on a weeknight if at all possible.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know what their profit margin was for the event but it was certainly spectacular to see from the freeway every night... and the lines went on for quite a distance. Hopefully KI saw what a million lights can provide on an entertainment level. I only wish it had been more of a walk through event. I would have gone just to wander the park for hours looking at the lights.

• Like 4