Kings Dominion Hurler 2017

No matter what they do, they can't hurt it, IMO.  Other than Invertigo, it's the only other coaster I got off of, and vowed to never ride it again. I did though, ride Invertigo again, and now

appears I will have to give this one another chance at some point. 

For the record, Invertigo still has the standing of "I will not ride it again".  Never say never, but it would take some doing. 

• Like 8

The only real way I think it would be improved is if they got rid of all those drawn out hills and made a figure 8 course or something.  The whole ride from after the first low high speed curve until the brake run delivers a whole lotta nothing. 

• Like 2

I have only ridden it once, in 2011, and I honestly cant remember the ride.  What happened to the airtime, did it get Cedar Fair-ed to Death?

Now, so as not to be seen by the CF apologists as being unfair, lets hope that whoever decided to do the repairs in-house (if that happens to be the case) learned something from Paramount in what NOT to do when doing one's own construction work on a roller coaster.

Edited for side note:  Seeing the ride from Ricochet and Grizzly, I wish I COULD remember the ride experience, as the high speed, high banked corners looked to be a lot of fun.

• Like 2

Within three years, it was gone. Cedar Fair had nothing to do with whatever happened.

Could it be that once the wood aged that the wood formed tiny dips between the dips resulting in a rougher ride and also slowing the trains?

I ain't coaster engineer but I do know that Hurler didn't have the trim brake added until after 2006. I worked the Carowinds Hurler in 2006, turn three(first banked turn) was retracked twice that year, once before the season started and once during the summer. It made the ride no better, when GCI came in and rebuilt the entire turn the structure and made some changes it really improved the ride. I would love to see GCI do the rest of the coaster but it hasn't happened since 2013 or 2014. Maybe Carowinds have up on Thunder Road and Hurler?

• Like 5

Even with the Millennium Flyer trains I thought Gwazi was horrible. The only part of the ride that was tolerable was the pre lift section and the lift hill. I can usually tolerate rough coasters but Gwazi was so bad I had a headache an hour after riding. Easily the worst wooden coaster I have ridden.

• Like 2

Gwazi was an exceptionally rough example of how well the GCIs with PTCs run. Wildcat at Hersheypark isn't much better, but it is a little better (and it now runs Millennium Flyers, too.)

I think Roar at SFA ran the best out of the three PTC GCIs I've ridden. Ironically, it still has PTCs. There must be something about switching from one to the other...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah that would be a no. How epic of a PR fail by that park. All they are getting is a Planet Snoopy upgrade and Fun Pix, free Wifi, and a new Pre-K pass level. I'm. not understanding all the hype around Hurler by their PR dept. judging my the FB live stream, BG just got a bunch of new season pass holders for 2017. Wow is all I have to say.

Sent from my iOS 10 device

• Like 1