Kings Dominion Hurler 2017

At first, I thought the park was trolling enthusiasts by overhyping a small addition, to teach enthusiasts a lesson about being grateful.

Then I remembered that the world doesn't work that way. :(

Actually this is the way the world works, Cedar Fair applied for similar incentives as they did for Carowinds. The Kings Dominion incentives were rejected so Cedar Fair turned their attention to Carowinds, I firmly believe the Cedar Fair is making low investments to KD as a direct result. This results in low growth of attendance and more importantly the surrounding area doesn't get the increase in tax revenue that they would get if Cedar Fair were investing large amounts of money.

I also believe that KD's budget for operations was cut last year resulting in Hurler closing, the real question is will the budget be increased enough for Hurler to open next year.

Furthermore, Kings Dominion likely trolled their fans to get attention. They got hopes up and likely made some money from enthusiasts visiting expecting to see Hurler return either by a GCI redo or RMC overhaul. They didn't hype their Annoucement as much as Carowinds did the new County Fair.

• Like 1

I just don't get where everyone is coming up with the thought that KD was hyping up the announcement with showing Hurler and all that. 

The park clearly had Snoopy in several of the pictures...enthusiasts saw Hurler and immediately thought it was going to be something related to Hurler for 2017 but completely missed the biggest hint in all of the pictures...SNOOPY!

• Like 4

I don't know what to make of that, but I read somewhere that Cedar Point said the same thing. Maybe Mean Streak and Hurler's futures are connected somehow?

Maybe even connected in that nothing is happening with them for the time being.
Could be, I am expecting that Mean Streak will be rumble and footers by the end of September. New coaster in 2018 or 2019.
  • Like 2

After today's announcement, makes me even happier to be with the top tier of Cedar Fair pyramid at Kings Island. They really need to do more to compete with Busch Gardens. Even a Winterfest announcement for the park would have been good, but it seems they are planning long range for family value entertainment instead of thrill park excitement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently, people think that creating a petition (that they hope gets 100 people to sign) will change Cedar Fair's mind and make them bring in a coaster for 2017.

https://www.change.org/p/anyone-boycott-kings-dominion-until-they-announce-a-new-roller-coaster

I've kept pretty quiet on the subject, just because I've been looking at what's being said by the fans and the park and the reaction. I may be of the unpopular opinion but I don't feel like the park did anything wrong. As I stated above, the photo teasers were clearly marketed toward Snoopy....the video that Chad did...was clearly tongue and cheek (I looked at it like Mean Tweets from Jimmy Kimmel). The invite to the announcement was nothing more than an invite, they could have easily said nope, no one is coming in but media or announced via video like Six Flags generally does or could have not said anything.

I really just saw the local fans of the park before the announcement basically saying we deserve a new coaster, here are all the signs that we're getting a coaster, etc. But I have failed to see why the park deserves another coaster. How has the popularity for I-305 been outside of the enthusiast community been compared to Dominator or Volcano? How have the crowds been when it comes to diversity between thrill seekers and families? 

Yes, it absolutely sucks that they aren't getting a new coaster....I mean that's really the only real reason I would have to go back to the park as I don't have any other coaster credits to get. The only other reason I would and will go is that I enjoy the coasters that are offered. 

• Like 8

I think KD made the correct move. After visiting the park for the very first time this year they need an incentive to bring in more families. Most coaster enthusiast should know we (as in enthusiasts) are not paying for a new coaster with the purchase of a season pass and even a meal plan. Who does finance new rides is a family of 4 or 5. With the new free pass they are going to spend that extra money on food and souvenirs where they make their most money!

Bringing negativity to the park with a boycott is only going to delay the installation of a new coaster. Their new Delirium is great! Hurricane Heights is awesome. It is not like they have been forgotten. We still don't know the plans for Hurler. This might turn into a great ride experience when done?

• Like 10

Apparently, people think that creating a petition (that they hope gets 100 people to sign) will change Cedar Fair's mind and make them bring in a coaster for 2017.

https://www.change.org/p/anyone-boycott-kings-dominion-until-they-announce-a-new-roller-coaster

I've kept pretty quiet on the subject, just because I've been looking at what's being said by the fans and the park and the reaction. I may be of the unpopular opinion but I don't feel like the park did anything wrong. As I stated above, the photo teasers were clearly marketed toward Snoopy....the video that Chad did...was clearly tongue and cheek (I looked at it like Mean Tweets from Jimmy Kimmel). The invite to the announcement was nothing more than an invite, they could have easily said nope, no one is coming in but media or announced via video like Six Flags generally does or could have not said anything.

I really just saw the local fans of the park before the announcement basically saying we deserve a new coaster, here are all the signs that we're getting a coaster, etc. But I have failed to see why the park deserves another coaster. How has the popularity for I-305 been outside of the enthusiast community been compared to Dominator or Volcano? How have the crowds been when it comes to diversity between thrill seekers and families? 

Yes, it absolutely sucks that they aren't getting a new coaster....I mean that's really the only real reason I would have to go back to the park as I don't have any other coaster credits to get. The only other reason I would and will go is that I enjoy the coasters that are offered. 

I read this while I was between vehicles at my Client's shop today, and I literally came out with the unedited version of Whiskey Tango Foxtrot when I saw that petition.  I mean, really, thoosies???  I dont have enough hands for the amount of facepalms required.

I think KD made the correct move. After visiting the park for the very first time this year they need an incentive to bring in more families. Most coaster enthusiast should know we (as in enthusiasts) are not paying for a new coaster with the purchase of a season pass and even a meal plan. Who does finance new rides is a family of 4 or 5. With the new free pass they are going to spend that extra money on food and souvenirs where they make their most money!

Bringing negativity to the park with a boycott is only going to delay the installation of a new coaster. Their new Delirium is great! Hurricane Heights is awesome. It is not like they have been forgotten. We still don't know the plans for Hurler. This might turn into a great ride experience when done?

This is all 100% on point, the only part I dont quite agree with is the boycott by a bunch of thoosies  affecting the park enough to delay a new coaster.  Also, YES, their Delirium is incredible!

• Like 6

I don't quite get people sometimes, obviously they don't see the park's side in adding Planet Snoopy rides, or kids on instagram that sit around ranting on their accounts, you have to look at it from a side of what is going to sell more season passes, families or enthusiasts who most likely already have a season pass to the park (Cedar Fair Platinum Pass) when a family, they normally buy one park, and when you go you need food, money for games, ect. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

My question is why did Hurler have to be closed for the entire season? Meanstreak is a much bigger coaster and yet remained operation till late in the regular season.. Cedar Fair has really thrown a wrench into the norm we are used to seeing.

• Like 1

With Cedar Fair starting to use RMC, i really REALLY hope they don't cut back on wooden coaster maintenance and just topper track everything like Six Flags does instead of retracking, especially at Kings Dominion since they have alot of wooden coaster 

Or at KI, seeing as it will now have the most amount of wooden coaster track of any park. Would hate to see the experience change on any of the wooden coasters. Beast and Racer are classics and Mystic Timbers will be new so no need for new track yet. Don't feel like any of ours are too rough to need something to smooth out the experience either. Woodstock Express wouldn't be a huge hit, but be a shame for kids to lose the traditional woo coaster start, and don't really feel it needs it either. 

Sure if maintenance ever got to be too much though they might look into it if it will help it hold up better.

• Like 1

The thought of Cedar Fair ceasing maintenance on wooden coasters at their parks worries me. Seeing Mean Streak and Hurler, both of which rarely got retacked, get Iron Horse conversions makes me hope it isn't foreshadowing a new Cedar Fair trend. Both of our woodies are iconic and important to the history of the coaster industry, so I hope we don't lose either one. I'd be alright with Millennium Flyer trains on The Racer or The Beast following a retrack from GCI. I personally don't find them bad at all with the Philadelphia Toboggan trains in their current form, but overtime they could cause wear and tear due to the fact that the track is not thick like many older coasters.

• Like 1

both?  Either

The thought of Cedar Fair ceasing maintenance on wooden coasters at their parks worries me. Seeing Mean Streak and Hurler, both of which rarely got retacked, get Iron Horse conversions makes me hope it isn't foreshadowing a new Cedar Fair trend. Both of our woodies are iconic and important to the history of the coaster industry, so I hope we don't lose either one. I'd be alright with Millennium Flyer trains on The Racer or The Beast following a retrack from GCI. I personally don't find them bad at all with the Philadelphia Toboggan trains in their current form, but overtime they could cause wear and tear due to the fact that the track is not thick like many older coasters.

Both?  Either?  just asking because we are soon to be double those numbers.

Yet Kings Dominion fans will still complain.

"Well it's about time!"

KD fans need to quiet themselves, Michigan's Adventure has had one coaster addition since 1999. And that was in 2008 with the addition of Thunderhawk, which was previously located at Geauga lake before it closed.

Mean Streak had a fair amount of retracking, several years actually. They also had some going on before the ride opened to the public/after the season started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2