Dollywood tips

Seriously good luck with Lightning Rod. It was extremely hit or miss when I was there for 3 days (and those were the 3 days It was "officially opened"). So if you are just going for one day I would honestly recommend not waiting around if the doors to the entrance aren't opened when you get there.

I'm not exactly sure the best deal for discount tickets. My guess would be online at Dollywood's website.

Best tip for rides.

Start from back to front.

Fire Chaser Express usually has the longest line. Thunderhead almost never has more than a 5 minute wait. It was a walk on the entire time I was there.

If you ride the train they aren't joking about the cinders. So if you are sitting on the outside of the ride Make sure to squint or wear sunglasses.

Ride Barnstormer.

Make sure you get cinnamon bread from the Grist Mill!

I'm not a show person but I have heard that their shows are amazing and sometimes sell out on busy days.

Most of all enjoy your day. Dollywood is an amazing park. It has so much to offer from rides, shows, and awesome food.

• Like 5

Never been to Dollywood, but that does seem like an awfully steep price for a ticket. I never go for shows, so even if they are stellar, it's not worth it for me. And I don't see that they have such a stellar lineup of rides to command that kind of gate price.

• Like 1

Compared to us paying 99 for our gold passes at Kings Island is what I mean. We wouldn't be worried if it was an Intamin AG coaster.

So, last time I'm feeding the troll. What Intamin AG coaster did you get for your $99 gold pass at KI?

Mr. Chickens, I am sure I am not the only person that thinks a $65 one day admission is steep compared to a season pass here for 99. And like I said, we have had good luck with Intamin AG coasters in the past, thus would be less worried about am attraction not being open.

They have a 3 day ticket for 99. But who wants to spend three days though? You mind sharing if there is someplace that sells discounted tix? I am quoting what is on the website.

Side note the website does not say anything about lightning rod being closed now.

I bought a gold pass for DW last November and I think it was around $150.  I bought it specifically for Lightning Rod and I have yet to ride it.  I don't regret it one bit because this is such a great park.  I've been four times on this pass (two in 2015) so I have got my money's worth.

• Like 3

The only discounts that I see are for $5 at Pigeon Forge McDonald's and Wendy's on drink cups. 

More info here: http://www.pigeonforgetnguide.com/coupons-discounts/dollywood-coupons-and-discount-tickets/

Honestly, I think getting a season pass is worth it. They are only a few dollars more than a one day ticket. Gold gets you free parking (You only need one per family/car load). 

Also know that most of the people at Dollywood goes to shows. Several times of being at the park (this year included) there were cars like crazy in the parking lot and crowds at the gates but when you get up there, it's mostly older folks who go to see shows and eat. Rides waits generally are minimum. Fire Chaser Express is generally the only coaster that has a long line depending on crowds. 

Don't bet on Lightning Rod being open. 

• Like 6

We bought season passes and in three different visits have yet to ride Lightning Rod.  We're trying again in late August.

If you can manage a stay at DreamMore they offer a Fast Pass (their version) for everyday you are at the park.  Its a pretty nice hotel. 

• Like 1

Look on SlickDeals.net and search Dollywood.  $40 tickets and $10 for parking.  We used these last week.  They are good for two days (first day's entrance being after 3 pm)  The park was great.  My kids rode the coasters (no Lightning Rod) over and over and my husband saw about every show.  I did a little of everything, well, not everything, but a large variety of things.  And yes, the cinnamon bread is amazing!  And I'm certain they do parent swap. 

• Like 6