Season Pass Sale for 2017.

hausty1983

Parks don't make any money from families. It's all about hipsters and enthusiasts. That's were the big bucks and growth come from. Parents never spend any money on their kids while they are at a park, so they have to make it up in ticket/pass sales.

/s

You have got to be kidding me they actually made parents upgrade a preseason pass purchase becuase their kid grew in the off season? (Shaking my head)

• Like 4

Since the gold pass upgrade option became a hot topic for parents whose child grew to the over 48" height from the fall to the spring/summer they would require them to upgrade to the adult pass for the cost difference which was usually $15. Parents complained a lot and was featured on the news media reports so to eliminate all upgrading and height issues they decided one pass for all ages 3 and up. Kings Dominion is experimenting with a Pre-K pass for free admission to ages 3-5. You need to register the pass online then have it processed by April 2017 and they have free admission thru the Haunt. They are requiring proof of age i.e.: birth certificate or US passport to prove the age. If successful maybe it will be installed chain wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which actually would be nice. My 3 year old is the same height restriction he was at 18 months..... So it's not like he's gaining anything by having a pass but you never know.

• Like 1

Pretty swell idea to make you pay full price on a pass for a kid that can only ride a fourth of whats there, excellent work Kings Island. It would be nice if the Pre-K pas Kings Dominion is doing goes chain wide. I do not believe it will though. 

• Like 1

Pretty swell idea to make you pay full price on a pass for a kid that can only ride a fourth of whats there, excellent work Kings Island. It would be nice if the Pre-K pas Kings Dominion is doing goes chain wide. I do not believe it will though. 

...And many grandparents make that same argument that they don't ride a thing but want to spend time with their family...well if one doesn't like it, one can choose not to purchase....or if you are so hung up on getting a lower priced pass for the young one, then purchase a platinum pass that offers such a junior pass...and be thankful that Kings Island hasn't followed the Cedar Point model and that you can still get a gold pass that gives free parking and admission to Soak City - you can only get that with a platinum at Cedar Point.  Cedar Point does not offer such an equivalent bargain.  With their park only pass, you can spend $30 more than the gold pass and get less.  Gold pass is still an excellent value...

• Like 1

We are not talking Cedar Point we are talking Kings Island and what I have known for a long long time to be a lower rate for jr/sr. Just like your suggestion if you don't like my gripe don't read it. Have a wonderful day. 

Well you did ask earlier in this thread does upgrading from a gold to platinum count as a renewal, so I was letting you know that with a platinum a junior pass option does exist.  In the past, the gold pass for early renewal was the same price regardless of age/height, but after the season ended and the price went up, that is when the junior gold pass option became available.  Since they still offer a junior platinum, a junior gold pass may be available after this current price sees an increase after the season ends.  Of course said junior price will be more expensive than the pass offering now...

...And many grandparents make that same argument that they don't ride a thing but want to spend time with their family...well if one doesn't like it, one can choose not to purchase....or if you are so hung up on getting a lower priced pass for the young one, then purchase a platinum pass that offers such a junior pass...and be thankful that Kings Island hasn't followed the Cedar Point model and that you can still get a gold pass that gives free parking and admission to Soak City - you can only get that with a platinum at Cedar Point. Cedar Point does not offer such an equivalent bargain. With their park only pass, you can spend $30 more than the gold pass and get less. Gold pass is still an excellent value...

And in both situations (lil ones and grandpa and grandma) shouldn't the park offer events that could fill the entire day? At one time they did offer a mix of daily shows that were unique and plentiful, rides that could be enjoyed by all, and an environment from the Parking lot to the fireworks that invited you to stay. I've said this before and I agree with terp. As I watch my parents continue to march on in age, I'm beginning to to see my coaster enthusiast mom become less enthusiastic about coasters and looking for more whole family offerings and I wish we had more choices.

• Like 2

Ok. This is a little out there, but someone may know...

I currently have a GOLD pass from KI.

If for 2017 I buy a Platinum Pass from CP, do I get a fastlane pass for CP to use this fall?

Can I ALSO get in to Carrowinds this fall once?

Related... I went to CP this year (bought a ticket) and my KI all season drink bottle worked there just fine! Anyone know if dining plans work at all parks like that too??? I.e. Would a CP all season dining plan work at KI?

Thanks!

^^I agree, but most amusement parks deal with this situation all the time and have settled on having one price for admittance (yes there are exceptions like pay to ride and others but then do those parks compete in the same league as a KI?). 

I am not directing this to you or anyone on this forum, but unfortunately there are always those that have to complain if they don't ride coasters - I mean go look at the Dollywood FaceBook page and read the number of people complaining that their parents don't ride anything why do they have to pay full price.  In the summer Dollywood has at least 11 different entertainment options, along with great food, unique shops, rides, fireworks, trams in parking lot, etc.  Many people go to Dollywood just for the entertainment, yet people still complain about why they have to pay full price.  Many will argue that Dollywood offers more to non-riders than Kings Island does.

KI believes they offer enough with "more than 100 rides, shows and attractions offering the perfect combination of world-class thrills and family attractions. Guests can experience the park’s 15 thrill-inducing roller coasters, including Diamondback, the tallest and fastest roller coaster at Kings Island, and the world’s longest wooden roller coaster, The Beast! Families can spend the perfect day together in the 13-time, award-winning Planet Snoopy kids’ area, or step back in time to periods between 245 million and 65 million years ago in Dinosaurs Alive!" - taken from their webpage.

This is one of those discussions that people have their opinion and will not be swayed.  On one side you have those that think a flat admittance fee (or season pass price in this case) ensures that the park is able to continue providing new attractions every year even if that means some will not enjoy everything the park offers.  Others think that if you cannot partake in every attraction then you should not have to pay as much.  And yet large families think KI should have a family pass that is one price and is good whether the family is 3 people or 7 people!  Fact of the matter is very few pass holders actually partake in every single attraction.   Some don't go to Soak City, some do not do the shows, most do not do every ride.  Some go and just people watch. 

• Like 2

Ok. This is a little out there, but someone may know...

I currently have a GOLD pass from KI.

If for 2017 I buy a Platinum Pass from CP, do I get a fastlane pass for CP to use this fall?

Can I ALSO get in to Carrowinds this fall once?

Related... I went to CP this year (bought a ticket) and my KI all season drink bottle worked there just fine! Anyone know if dining plans work at all parks like that too??? I.e. Would a CP all season dining plan work at KI?

Thanks!

The orange cup is good at all the parks.  Since you have a gold pass, you bought the dining plan for KI only.  With a platinum pass you can purchase an all park dining plan.

Reference this page for the fine print. https://www.cedarpoint.com/plan-a-visit/2017-season-pass-offers

1. Yes. But not valid Saturdays.

2. I don't think so, but call and ask.

3. The platinum dining plan is more expensive for Platinum passholders becuase it is valid at all parks. $20- $30 more IIRC I have 4 2016 platinum passes and 3 platinum dining plans and they work at CP&KI.

Note: for 2016 I think you could purchase a dining plan for just one park. I ran a test checkout for 2017 a couple of days ago and I do not think that was an option for 2017. It seemed a platinum pass had to have platinum dining. Possible I was doing something wrong as I was just checking pricing.

@Disco. Very good points. I don't ride any of the kiddie rides or go to any shows, so I want an "adult thrill seeker" discount. :)

^^^ Since you have a 2016 (gold) pass that's only valid at Kings Island, renewing as platinum wouldn't get you admission to other Cedar Fair parks until next year. If you want one free visit at Cedar Point with your 2017 platinum pass, you would need to purchase a new platinum pass at Cedar Point (forgoing renewal perks at either park).

New this fall, as part of the CP Shores promotion, Cedar Point is offering Cedar Point platinum benefits (free parking & Soak City admission) for the rest of the season for 2016 Cedar Point regular passholders who renew as platinum for 2017. I have no idea if they'd accept a Kings Island gold pass for this promotion, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

In any case, you wouldn't be able to use your pass at Carowinds until next year, as you are only purchasing Cedar Fair platinum benefits (admission at all Cedar Fair parks) for 2017.

I was told I wouldn't need a new photo if I renewed online.

I saw that the voucher said that our gold pass was active for the new season.  I also picked take photo at season pass office when we were upgrading.  If we don't have to though, even better!  SUPER EXCITED to use the Fast Lane Plus bands next weekend!!!!!!!!

I was told I wouldn't need a new photo if I renewed online.

I saw that the voucher said that our gold pass was active for the new season.  I also picked take photo at season pass office when we were upgrading.  If we don't have to though, even better!  SUPER EXCITED to use the Fast Lane Plus bands next weekend!!!!!!!!

I believe if you selected take a photo at the office, you have to do it...there doesn't seem to be a way to back track and change that option.

• Like 1

So, as I found out just now, you can, in fact renew a Kings Island Platinum Pass via the Canada's Wonderland website and keep the same card. Do be aware, however, that which renewal bonuses you receive is dependent upon which park you renew through. I don't particularly want a Fast Lane Plus for a Sunday in fall, so for me, renewing through Canada's Wonderland was the best choice.

• Like 2

^ Those with a credit card with no foreign transaction fees might save $30 or so after taxes; more if a dining plan or FunPix is added. Definitely tempting.

Personally, I'd rather my pass remain in KI's database, so I'm not dealing with Guest Services in Canada should there be any issues. And that Fast Lane Plus might actually be useful on Closing Day, since they're doing the free bring-a-friend tickets this year.

• Like 2

^ Those with a credit card with no foreign transaction fees might save $30 or so after taxes; more if a dining plan or FunPix is added. Definitely tempting.

Personally, I'd rather my pass remain in KI's database, so I'm not dealing with Guest Services in Canada should there be any issues. And that Fast Lane Plus might actually be useful on Closing Day, since they're doing the free bring-a-friend tickets this year.

If adding FunPix, I would be leery of renewing through a park other than one's home park. This year, FunPix was a per-park add-on. Have we gotten confirmation that this has changed for this season?

Also, if the foreign transaction fees are only a percent or two, you still stand to save some money.

Also be aware that buying from CWo with a payment plan is a gamble because the exchange rate is subject to change. I don't see the Canadian Dollar surpassing the US dollar in value over the next nine months given recent trends with the exchange rate, but one cannot ignore the possibility. We are in an election season, so things of that nature can potentially be shaken up seemingly overnight depending on the political landscape.

• Like 1

^Just at the C & K parks. :) M, V, G & D parks are excluded.

New for 2017! All Season FunPix cardholders will get to capture, collect and share all of their photos at all other FunPix parks in 2017:

California’s Great America

Canada’s Wonderland

Carowinds

Cedar Point

Kings Island

Kings Dominion

Knott’s Berry Farm

Platinum renewal and dining plan is $297.50 USD/ CAD.  If buying through Canada's Wonderland the exchange of $297.50 CAD is currently $230.06 USD, definitely thinking abut it.

This definitely has me intrigued.

7 Platinum's + dinning could save me a chunk of change if it works out.

Pretty sure my Southwest Visa has no foreign exchange fees since it is a travel card.

If someone tries it and all is good, I would be fine without the Fast Lanes!

^^ Then definitely not worth the risk on only 4 platinums. Was hoping to save $30 per pass to pay for the passport cards to actually go to CW. Do they have that VAT Europe has or is a special amusement park tax?

One other issue could be Winterfest validity.

That is a possibility, but at least at first I imagine their priority is to get people there so they can sell you $5 hot chocolates, $10 jumbo candy canes and $20 skate rentals. And on and on and on. :)