Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! replacing DCA's Tower of Terror

I don't see it as bein any less against the theme of the park than Carslans, which got plenty of praise. That area has nothing to do with California either. And really what does Bug's Life, which has had a large section from day one, have to do with it? Or even Little Mermaid. So I don't think it's really too out for the park given other IPs used around it from opening day or added later

• Like 1

I don't see it as bein any less against the theme of the park than Carslans, which got plenty of praise. That area has nothing to do with California either. And really what does Bug's Life, which has had a large section from day one, have to do with it? Or even Little Mermaid. So I don't think it's really too out for the park given other IPs used around it from opening day or added later

Carsland features several elements from Route 66 as does the movie, really the whole movie is an advertisement against the Elsenhower Interstate System. Route 66 runs through California. A Bugs Land was prior to the big push to reinvent DCA and is mainly a mini-kiddie area. Little Mermaid is part of Paradise Pier which is based around a boardwalk amusement park, dark rides were common. Mission Breakout is taking a huge structure that was specifically designed to fit in with the area around it and cutting it into an island while leaving the rest of the area untouched.

I believe this decision is a knee jerk reaction to Univerisal Harry Potter and Disney wanting to use IPs while using an accountant budget. The real question is how did the accountant get the imagineers to go along?

Route 66 does run through California too but the area cars is supposed to emulate is not in California. It's more Utah/Arizona area.

And yea Paradise Pier is supposed to be a boardwalk arwa and dark rides fit but Little Mermaid as a chosen IP doesn't fit a California Boardwalk as that is not the location of its story.

And Bugs Life just shows that from the start there was some non-California specific stuff.

I'm not saying that any of these things are bad or done poorly, and also not say GotG will be awesome, But that the biggest complaints made against it could be lodged against some of the beloved attractions in the park as well. So why judge this attraction on a certain set of factors and qualifications that were ignored for other attractions?

I disagree. I think the actual biggest complaint is that a well done (sure, not as well done as the original in Florida), about as close to perfectly themed, immersive, well-placed dark ride is being cheaply re-skinned to a currently hot IP. The issue isn't that it's not California themed, the issue is that Disney should have spent the money to develop an entirely new attraction worthy of GotG instead of continuing their trend of addition by subtraction. In the end, this is nothing but a cheap overlay of a great attraction. Will it be fun? Sure it will, it's the same attraction. But Disney should be better than this.

• Like 3

http://www.themeparktourist.com/features/20160911/32179/twilight-twilight-zone-tower-terror?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social%20Adv&utm_campaign=ToT%20Story%20DP

A good little read. I disagree with some of it and from someone who watches the comic book realm and its stories they miss on a few big points about the Guardians and their roles in the films. But it's an interesting take.

Guardians was used because Marvel needed to get to Outer Space and it doesn't have a way to do so without Guardians. FF or Xmen would have been a more direct route but both of those franchise rights live in a different studio house that won't play ball with them. So guardians wins by default.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That was a good article, shark, I never thought of the CBS payout before. Obviously, I'm not an accountant for a living.

I looked at the "Ellen's Energy Adventure" ride referenced in the article, and I'm hoping it's not someone's favorite, because I found it a snoozefest.

By the time that ride gets refitted, they'll have Cosmo giving the lecture.

• 7 months later...