Scooby Doo's Ghoster Coaster memories

MaestroJr

With all the hype leading to the new ride I'd like to step back awhile and hear people's favorite memories of the short lived Scooby's Ghoster Coaster. I loved the ride when I was little and rode it many times during the 90s and early 2000s. Any memories,photos, or comments about it are greatly appreciated! I have always loved it and loved riding it many years ago and it is one of my favorite memories of my Kings Island childhood. But I want to hear what you all who grew up with it too thought of it then, and how nostalgic it is for you now. Thanks for any comments! MaestroJr

• Like 1

I too remember the brakes! I rode this contraption with my oldest when he was little time and time again because he loved it. I learned the special braking position for a male adult real fast after the first ride.

• Like 6

Here's a great video featuring it.

And a gallery:

http://www.kiextreme.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=90

Ah yes Hannah Barbara Land good memories from my early childhood.

Never rode the Scooby Ghoster Coaster but based on that video it looked painful I have only vague memories of it from when I was a kid.

• Like 2

At around 7:00, you can see that they dispatched a Vortex train before the train ahead even fully cleared the mcbr O.o

Im sure it really doesn't matter as far as safety goes, but that just seems so strange. 

• Like 2

Vortex is designed to dispatch when the lead train is past the crown of the lift. They use to get bullet trains (when the trains would stop until it reached the station). Even with 3 train operation.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I remember seeing this coaster, but never riding it. I wonder whose brilliant idea it was?

Universal's Islands of Adventure's abysmally low-capacity Pteradon Flyers comes to mind, and even it has a higher capacity than this, I'm sure. 

• Like 3

At around 7:00, you can see that they dispatched a Vortex train before the train ahead even fully cleared the mcbr O.o

Im sure it really doesn't matter as far as safety goes, but that just seems so strange. 

Just curious, where was The Vortex footage at? You mention that it's around 7:00, but the video is just a little under 3 minutes long.  Maybe I'm missing something.  I'd like to see what you're talking about, but I'm just a little confused.  Could you explain?

• Like 1

Maybe he was reading the angle of the sun to arrive at the time of day shown in the video?

In modern coasters, computer systems don't allow a train to  be dispatched until it's safely able to be, including cleared block zones, locked restraints, clearance in the station, etc.

Over in England, we've seen how maintenance mode throws a wrench in that... 

• Like 3

Maybe he was reading the angle of the sun to arrive at the time of day shown in the video?

In modern coasters, computer systems don't allow a train to  be dispatched until it's safely able to be, including cleared block zones, locked restraints, clearance in the station, etc.

Over in England, we've seen how maintenance mode throws a wrench in that... 

Yeah I don't know.  I assumed that 7:00 meant the 7 minute mark of the video, but that can't be right since the video isn't long enough.  I checked the whole video for any footage of The Vortex in the background and didn't see any.  I was curious to see what the comment was about, but couldn't figure it out.  Oh well.

In the case of Vortex, the blocks are as follows:

Station

Station to top of lift

Top of lift to MCBR

MCBR to Safety Brakes (before the final bend)

Block brakes before station

It is possible to get a train to fiy straight into the station, but not easy and requires basically a perfect storm.  This can lead to the front car overshooting the station.

Source: I supervised the ride.

• Like 4