Does Living Close To KI Take The Magical Out Of It?

presto123

I've wondered about this since I was a kid. We always had to travel 2 to 2 1/2 hours to get to the park and could make it once a year at most. We used to wonder what it would be like to live close by. I used to get so depressed leaving the parking lot, but that would be a lot different for someone living in close proximity. Seems like living close enough to the park that you could stop by often would take a little excitement out after a while. It would still be fun, but maybe not quite that magical feeling that I always experience. I mean, me and my friend used to count down the days months in advance when we were kids.  Thoughts?

• Like 8

Yes

HTCO, avoiding one word posts

And also lives 10 minutes away... 

The firework sounds are a nice reminder, "oh okay its 10:00pm"

EDIT: I guess I can relate because that's how I feel about Walt Disney World

• Like 6

Of course it would take some of the magic out of it. When we lived in Omaha and had nothing the once a year trip home to SFSTL in the summer was magical for me and the boys, at least for my oldest. When we moved back I bought gold passes and we went twice a week in the summer mostly to the water park for about 4 hours each trip but we only lived 20 minutes away. They still had lots of fun but the enthusiasm would start wearing off in August.

I think you need to ask yourself why you only went once a year at most. Was it financial, the drive or maybe your parents were not really into it?

I am 1.5 and 2.25 hours form KI and CP respectively and we go once a week. Half the time just to SC. At my wife's insistence we also bought gold Zoombezzi Bay/Columbus Zoo passes again this year becuase last year she enjoyed taking off work early once a week or so and having drinks in the adult lazy river. But that place is such a "zoo" you just about have to buy Zoom passes for the kids. We haven't gone once this year yet. I prefer to spend that $35 on gas to a CF park and the drive really doesn't bother me that much except on days when the boys are wound up and pushing each other's buttons in the back seat driving me crazy.

My kids KNOW not to ask "Are we there yet?"

"How am I supposed to know? I'm driving, pull up Maps on that iPhone and figure it out yourself!"

• Like 6

We live relatively far away.... 15 minutes.

My kids think it is perfectly natural to have places like Kings Island this close so that they can get there whenever they want.  We go to the park for 2 hours on Saturday and Sunday to walk and ride rides and come home by lunch time.

It is not a magical moment when my kids get to Kings Island anymore.  It became a routine long time ago.  It is somewhat like having a season ticket to baseball.  It almost become a part of what you do.

• Like 6

For me, living closer has /added/ magic to the park. When I was young I wished I could go more often, and being able to as an adult has not been a disappointment.

We lived over an hour away when I was a kid, and went maybe three times over the summer, except the years after my sister got her driver's license and she and I had season passes and went more often.

Now I live a half hour away, and I've been to the park over 30 times this season open until close. Being at the park so much gives me a view on just how many special things are going on at the park all the time. I get to go to the park when attendance is light, and ride whatever I want. I also can go to the park when it's busy and not feel like I'm missing out or wasting time I should be riding, and enjoy other aspects of the park like shows or special events.

As much as I am at the park now, I'm not tired of it, and often wish I lived a little closer, even.

• Like 14

I say yes, to a degree.

I am 39 years old and have always lived within 30 minutes of KI, and pretty much always had a season pass (tho they lost me a bit during the Paramount years).

Being able to go several times each summer takes some (but not all) luster away. I guess I experience what you describe with annual trips to Cedar Point or Holiday World, etc. Where you get the butterflies as you approach the park on your annual pilgrimage.

But there is still ample magic for me at KI especially now with children of my own. I love every second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would say absolutely not.  It is still the same place weather you live 5 minutes or 5 hours away.  This year was my first year taking my 3 year old to the park and while sometimes I get a ride or two in; it has really opened me up to what else other than the big roller coasters and flat rides the park has.  Now I'm looking at the landscaping the park has done an awesome job on, some of the shows, and just the general atmosphere things I never really cared about in the past.  

• Like 3

I don't know about you, but there's always something magical about going to the park and relaxing.  No, it doesn't take away anthing to live close, if anything it only makes it better. I mean come on, how could you not get giddy when you walk down the walkway with the old BB artwork (escpecially the kangaroos, the koalas, and the sharks!), or riding The Beast over and over again until you are frozen from the fall night air. Kings Island doesn't loose that touch for me, even when I worked there, it never did.

• Like 3

I'm about 30 minutes away so not too far but it's still magical coming over the hill and seeing the skyline in the distance. It's a little different now that I'm starting to drive down there but I think just getting older and having been to the park so many times now has made it a little less magical.

• Like 1

I live virtually across the Interstate from Kings Island.

No, it does not take away the magical for me.  I go to the park as many times a year as I can and the experience NEVER gets old!  The joy of entering the park, seeing the Royal Fountains through the entry way, the smell of grease and noisy chain dogs of Vortex, the scent of sunscreen and perfume, mixed with french fries and funnel cakes; never loses its magic!

What makes it perpetual, is that statistically, every single day, at least 400 people are experiencing the park for the very first time ever, and you get to watch with pride as they react with wonder and excitement to your hometown park! 

I only wish the music was different...

• Like 6

I live within a 10 minute walk of the park, over by the Kings Highschool, and its not all that bad. I've never burnt out on Kings Island even after going 4 or 5 days in a row.

The only negatives I guess is sometimes you can hear the Firehawk lift and the fireworks are quite loud. We used to hear the Diamondback roar but I forgot when but a few years ago it stopped roaring. I actually quite like the roars that B&M coasters make. 

• Like 2

To an extent. We live 45 min from KI and 3.5 hr from CP. As a kid I would only dream to be able go to these parks yearly. My kids on the other hand are spoiled. They expect to be able to go. They dont seem to have the same spark as the season goes on like they do when it just opens for the year. My 4 year old has the routine down even with the addition of the metal detectors. He sticks his arms out to the sides and spins around. He also knows to get his hand stamped since we are usually in and out. Especially at CP.

• Like 1

Visited last week for the first time since October 2014. Last year was the first season I missed probably since I was a few years old. 

Other than the new entrance, nothing felt different. So I'd say no. I don't believe people from out of state/non regulars look at Kings Island in the same light as Cedar Point/Disney/Knoebels/Universal, that to me have this ....magical aura around them. KI is a great park, and I expected to get a little extra amped on visiting after a solid year and a half, but it felt like I never skipped a beat. 

I'm probably just a jaded former ride op who's glad to be living outside of Cincinnati. 

• Like 2

I live just across the little Miami river... In fact I can see my house from the high lift hills and attractions.

It's a different magic.

It's magic when you know it just rained and the park will be empty, so you head over to do walk ons. Or going so often that you feel like you know the actors in the shows, and will head over on certain days to see certain shows because you've memorized the schedule. Or not wanting to cook dinner, so you go to use your season dining plan.

It's not really magic, but I know what my family loves and we have fun doing it. It can be a nice treat for the kids to sit on our front lawn and stay up for the fireworks.

It's magic, but a different kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Yes and no.  Over the years, there were certain things that added to that sense of magic for me, but I feel like a lot of the things that made the park "magical" are slowing being removed.  I remember walking into the park and getting a glimpse of International Street for the first time, seeing the fountains rising up, and hearing majestic instrumental music coming through the speakers.  Wow, the excitement you felt as your senses took everything in.  It was a magical feeling.

I also remember walking through each of the lands and being immersed in the theming of the land.  As a kid, I used to love Hanna-Barbera Land and hearing themed songs over the speakers like, "Scooby dooby doo, where are you..."  or "...Yogi has it better than a millionaire, that's because he's smarter than the average bear!"  Hearing these songs paired with enjoying the rides and seeing the actual characters walking around, it was like you were in some kind of fantasy land and it was awesome.  This, of course, didn't stop with Hanna-Barbera Land, nope, you could enjoy the theming of each separate land as you roamed around the park.  In Rivertown, you could take a ride on a couple different log flumes, listen to some country music, or hop on a train and ride through the wilderness and observe frontier villages, animals, and even Indians!  It was like being transported to another time.  If you continued your walk across the park, you could step back in time and enjoy classic rides in Coney Mall.  Make your way around even further and you could take in the sites and sounds of Germany in Oktoberfest.  There was so much more, but I feel like I've painted a clear picture.

So is there still magic for me?  Well, yes and no.  I still enjoy my visits.  I love the coasters and there is still enough in the scenery that I still enjoy walking around and taking it all in.  There is also that nostalgia factor for me and that magic of all the memories that I've made over the years.  My wife and I have been together for 10 years, and now when we go, we'll reminisce about some of the first times we were there at the park when we were dating.  And when we have kids, it will add another element to that.

I think, for me, there will always be some magic to be found at KI, but it's a tad frustrating remembering how it used to be and knowing that it could be much more magical should a few changes be made.  I just hope that the uniqueness that IS left will be left alone and not removed.  We can only hope!

• Like 3

Yes and no.  Over the years, there were certain things that added to that sense of magic for me, but I feel like a lot of the things that made the park "magical" are slowing being removed.  I remember walking into the park and getting a glimpse of International Street for the first time, seeing the fountains rising up, and hearing majestic instrumental music coming through the speakers.  Wow, the excitement you felt as your senses took everything in.  It was a magical feeling.

I also remember walking through each of the lands and being immersed in the theming of the land.  As a kid, I used to love Hanna-Barbera Land and hearing themed songs over the speakers like, "Scooby dooby doo, where are you..."  or "...Yogi has it better than a millionaire, that's because he's smarter than the average bear!"  Hearing these songs paired with enjoying the rides and seeing the actual characters walking around, it was like you were in some kind of fantasy land and it was awesome.  This, of course, didn't stop with Hanna-Barbera Land, nope, you could enjoy the theming of each separate land as you roamed around the park.  In Rivertown, you could take a ride on a couple different log flumes, listen to some country music, or hop on a train and ride through the wilderness and observe frontier villages, animals, and even Indians!  It was like being transported to another time.  If you continued your walk across the park, you could step back in time and enjoy classic rides in Coney Mall.  Make your way around even further and you could take in the sites and sounds of Germany in Oktoberfest.  There was so much more, but I feel like I've painted a clear picture.

So is there still magic for me?  Well, yes and no.  I still enjoy my visits.  I love the coasters and there is still enough in the scenery that I still enjoy walking around and taking it all in.  There is also that nostalgia factor for me and that magic of all the memories that I've made over the years.  My wife and I have been together for 10 years, and now when we go, we'll reminisce about some of the first times we were there at the park when we were dating.  And when we have kids, it will add another element to that.

I think, for me, there will always be some magic to be found at KI, but it's a tad frustrating remembering how it used to be and knowing that it could be much more magical should a few changes be made.  I just hope that the uniqueness that IS left will be left alone and not removed.  We can only hope!

I too remember what Kings Island use to be in the 70s and 80s and could not agree more with you.  Yes Kings Island is still fun but it use to have so much character and theming in each area of the park.  Employees dressed in each themed area and the music was based on the area you were in and rides fit the area too.  I even miss the animal safari monorail that cost a $1 extra which provided a air conditioned monorail similar to Disney World that took you to see different animals from different continents.  Those were the days I miss and wish we had back.  Kings Island was similar to Bush Gardens Williamsburg and I miss it just thinking about it. :(

• Like 1

I agree.  It is amazing how often I used to visit the park.  I used to average about 25-30 visits a year.  The last several years it has been about ten visits.  I still live the same 25 minutes from the park that I always have.  But things in life have changed.  From being in a serious relationship, to now married, there just isn`t as much time to spend at the park.  Especially with both my wife and I each having full time jobs (and I work about sixty hours a week in the summer when you include the time I spend as a rides manager down at Coney).  This year has had far more solo visits by me, as my wife cannot currently ride most of the rides.  Next year will be a fun year though.

• Like 3